The Student Room Group

Architecture 2017 Entry!

Hello everyone!

I applied to:
University of Cambridge (Robinson College because they have the best food out of all the colleges...that's not the actual reason hahaha)
University of Bath
University of Nottingham
University College London (UCL)
Oxford Brookes University

All for K100

As to offers/choices I got rejected by Cambridge and UCL

Firm: Bath
Insurance: Nottingham
Predicted: A*AAA
:smile::smile:

Have funnnnnn

Matt
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey Matt! I'm hopefully looking to study architecture but I haven't chosen any art based subjects, as i've realised a bit too late that I my passion is Architecture haha. So i'm going to have to spend major time on portfolio's.

I've taken: Geography (guess it links a little bit), Economics, Politics and Media Studies
And I'm hoping to get AABB-ABBB hopefully, however majority of the uni's for architecture are sooo hard to get into!
I'm looking into Liverpool and Queens Belfast and a few others!
Reply 2
Original post by formulasum
Hey Matt! I'm hopefully looking to study architecture but I haven't chosen any art based subjects, as i've realised a bit too late that I my passion is Architecture haha. So i'm going to have to spend major time on portfolio's.

I've taken: Geography (guess it links a little bit), Economics, Politics and Media Studies
And I'm hoping to get AABB-ABBB hopefully, however majority of the uni's for architecture are sooo hard to get into!
I'm looking into Liverpool and Queens Belfast and a few others!

Oh hey! That's awesome dude! Just remember, whatever your passion is, you've gotta chase it and never let it go until you succeed! My first written mock is tomorrow so hopefully the revision will pay off!

Nice of you to reply to my thread aha :smile:
Hey guys! my top choices are UCL and Nottingham. AS subjects - Fine Art, History of Art (40 percent of the course studying architecture), Maths and Physics. my this year would be to gain AAAB with the B in physics. Curious as to who has work experience planned and if so where?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hey! My uni choices so far are UCL, Bath, Sheffield, and Edinburgh.
AS subjects - Maths, Product design, Biology, chemistry (I'm dropping biology as at the beginning of Y12 I was considering a medical career or architecture and decided to go with architecture)
What is everyone doing for their portfolios? What themes are people going for? I've never taken art so I'm a bit clueless as to what to include or where to start.
Reply 5
Original post by yodel_765
AS subjects - Maths, Product design, Biology, chemistry (I'm dropping biology as at the beginning of Y12 I was considering a medical career or architecture and decided to go with architecture)
What is everyone doing for their portfolios? What themes are people going for? I've never taken art so I'm a bit clueless as to what to include or where to start.

I'm keeping a sketchbook (A5) of still life drawings! In art, i'm doing my coursework on solely architecture so I'll bring that to the interviews! Haven't thought a lot about it yet but different universities want different things for the portfolio (Bath don't require a portfolio which is good and bad haha)
Reply 6
Original post by charles_98
Hey guys! my top choices are UCL and Nottingham. AS subjects - Fine Art, History of Art (40 percent of the course studying architecture), Maths and Physics. my this year would be to gain AAAB with the B in physics. Curious as to who has work experience planned and if so where?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that's really cool! I think UCL will be my top choice
Original post by yodel_765

https://www.bartlett.ucl.ac.uk/architecture/programmes/undergraduate/bsc-architecture/documents/BSc_Architecture_Course_Information_Sheet_15-16.pdf

Page 10.

The RIBA website also provides guidance on compiling a portfolio www.architecture.com

Hey guys, I take Maths, Art and DT:tongue:roduct design and had A level grades AAC(Maths, physics,DT) looking to apply to Nottingham, Liverpool and Kent but not sure of how to make my portfolio stronger seeing as I don't do art
Original post by eRric_O
Hey guys, I take Maths, Art and DT:tongue:roduct design and had A level grades AAC(Maths, physics,DT) looking to apply to Nottingham, Liverpool and Kent but not sure of how to make my portfolio stronger seeing as I don't do art

I strongly recommend you try to join a life drawing class - there is no better way of improving your hand-eye coordination for sketching (my tip is draw big - get an A2 sketchbook and a charcoal stick or Sharpie so you can't do feathery lines!). Also get a small sketchbook and use this to draw (from life) things that catch your eye - and be prepared to explain why they are interesting to you.

You will need to show your interest in architecture, which doesn't mean trying to design a building, but showing how architecture has inspired you. What architecture have you visited? (Try not just to list the "architects bingo" - FLW, Gaudi, Ghery, Foster, Hadid, HOUSE!)

Work experience is important, but is not really material for an e-portfolio (even - or especially - if they ask you to design a house). Include it in your personal statement and a physical portfolio, but don't waste 1 of your 10 pages (or whatever you are asked to upload).

If you are interviewed, the interviewer will probably want you to talk about your thought process DT tends to be a bit formulaic (mind map, different shapes, try it out in different colours, make it) - so can you show self-instigated work which shows something of your personality?

The skills you are likely to need in first year are sketching and physical model-making, so try to include 2D work in a range of media and 3D. Once you start you will be challenged to use lots of different materials including things you have never considered as material before, like soft toys... So be open minded!
Reply 10
Went to Bath's open day this year and let's just say I'm 100% sold! For my ASs I got and A in Physics (how?), a A in History and a B in maths (my fine art course is a two year course but I'm working at an A* :tongue:) so hopefully I'm looking at a prediction of A*A*A. Nevertheless I am so worried about not getting in, especially since I have completely committed myself to this university because a rejection will really unbalance me. I've done 5 days of work experience and due to do another 3 weeks of it over the next few months! :s-smilie: Should be really interesting but jeez the things we do to get into uni..

Cardiff's my second choice but I've heard about UCL being good. The major thing putting me off it is the price of living in London but if anyone could convince me otherwise I might be tempted!

Good luck everyone!
Reply 11
Original post by eRric_O

Lots and lots of observation sketches- it doesn't even have to be architecture, just prove that you are skillful in drawing! Also how your passion for things around you.
How's everyone's personal statement and ucas applications??

What extra curriculars have you all done??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSRMatt
How's everyone's personal statement and ucas applications??

What extra curriculars have you all done??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just got my ps down to be able to fit into UCAS today!!! So happy 😂

Are you still planning to apply for Camb?
Original post by czhang1998
Just got my ps down to be able to fit into UCAS today!!! So happy 😂

Are you still planning to apply for Camb?

Yaaaaay! Nope, I'm applying to Bath instead :smile:
Original post by TSRMatt
Yaaaaay! Nope, I'm applying to Bath instead :smile:

Ok I'm applying there as well I think!!! Along with Camb, Cardiff, Edingburgh and UCL probs
Ok I'm applying there as well I think!!! Along with Camb, Cardiff, Edingburgh and UCL probs

Oh okay awesomeee! I'm applying to Bath, UCL, nottingham, brookes (backup) and somewhere else

UCL is my first choice

Good luck!!
Anyone sent off their UCAS yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by eRric_O
Anyone sent off their UCAS yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe sending it next week? Bc my teacher hasn't finished my reference yet
Maybe sending it next week? Bc my teacher hasn't finished my reference yet

Where are you applying to?

Posted from TSR Mobile