The Student Room Group

TSR girls, how do you feel about getting paid so much less than a man in the future?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by abrack
The article states that women are likely to earn on average 300k less..?

The article doesnt consider all factors such as hours worked throughout womens lifetime, maternity leave etc etc.
Original post by A$aprocky
The article doesnt consider all factors such as hours worked throughout womens lifetime, maternity leave etc etc.

Is maternity leave not paid for?
Reply 82
Original post by evalilyXOX
I have so far never experience gender pay gap. But for those who are affected it really annoys me as people should be paid by merit, not by their sex :colonhash:

Which it is, should someone who on average works less hours get paid the same as someone working more on average?
Original post by abrack

Its not paid for in the second year. And women do often take long breaks from their careers after that.
Reply 84
Original post by abrack

Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) is paid for up to 39 weeks. You get:90% of your average weekly earnings (before tax) for the first 6 weeks£139.58 or 90% of your average weekly earnings (whichever is lower) for the next 33 weeks
https://www.gov.uk/maternity-pay-leave/pay
You also have to account for the fact that people competing for jobs will get more experience during this time which tends to lead to increased pay.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by abrack
The article states that women are likely to earn on average 300k less..?

Yes, but not for being a woman. Women tend to work less due to voluntary, consensual breaks in their career to raise children, to pursue different lifestyles, to be more willing to rely on a husband's salary, to pursue different sorts of careers; largely due to on average, different talents (e.g. spread of IQ studies), different hormones (e.g. competitiveness, drive, aggression, which had been more evolutionary advantageous in the animal kingdom for males, generally), different interests, etc.

But it's not because they're a woman, directly, that they'll earn less. E.g. if you're an ambitious, intelligent, talented woman, then a company would be foolish not to pay you your market rate.

You are an individual first and foremost, not a gender.

You seem to be suggesting that the article title implies something nefarious.

Original post by Nadile
I am not going to earn less than a man. This article is about the difference having children makes on what a women earns compared to a man. I have no intention in having children, therefore this will not affect me.

Not just child birth.
Just because the ladies can't keep up with my unrivalled unparalleled work ethic doesn't mean they are getting paid less because of their gender. Im simply the stuff of champions 😎
Reply 87
Original post by evalilyXOX
I have so far never experience gender pay gap. But for those who are affected it really annoys me as people should be paid by merit, not by their sex :colonhash:

They are payed by merit. Gender pay gap is caused by men and women working different hours (men tend to be willing to work more) and different jobs (women don't go for as highly payed jobs as men for some reason). When you have a man and a woman doing the same job, they get the same hourly pay.

The specific article linked in this thread also talks a bit about the difference having a child has on a woman's earnings. After all you have to take a lot of time off, and some women don't go back to work at all or for a long time after having a baby. This could maybe be helped a little if men could take more time off when they have a child, which would prevent a woman having to spend as much time as she does at home after childbirth. But again, having children is yet another choice a woman makes that affects her lifetime earnings as well as the average annual earnings of all women.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes, it does bother me quite a bit and actually, the only group of women that make more than men are the ones working in the sex industry such as prostitutes.

And people say that feminism in the west in unnecessary.
Original post by abrack

Only for the first 3 months.
Original post by loveleest
Yes, it does bother me quite a bit and actually, the only group of women that make more than men are the ones working in the sex industry such as prostitutes.

And people say that feminism in the west in unnecessary.

Take a different example though. Women get better grades than men at school. Nobody says, "the system is biased". Everyone says, "Women are getting the reward for working hard".

So surely it should be the same for equal pay? If women want to earn the same as men, they should work harder?
Why's this happening in the world today.

That's cool because the guy has a lot more responsibilities, pay the bills buy expensive ring stuff like that.
I'm sure we get equal pay in this day and age, it must be because men work for longer overall.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Take a different example though. Women get better grades than men at school. Nobody says, "the system is biased". Everyone says, "Women are getting the reward for working hard".

So surely it should be the same for equal pay? If women want to earn the same as men, they should work harder?

But doesn't good grades eventually lead to getting a better job and by "better" shouldn't that mean a better/higher pay too?
But doesn't good grades eventually lead to getting a better job and by "better" shouldn't that mean a better/higher pay too?

Well, young women now earn more than young men. Obviously there are more factors than just grades in salary, but it does play a role of course.

But essentially you are suggesting:

Women getting better grades = fine
Men getting better pay = unfair
Original post by Prince_fancybum
The gender wage gap has been debunked a million times. Men earn more on average because, among other completely not sexist reasons they do more work.
Stop trying to stir the feminists.

the principal difference seems to be lack of prolonged career breaks on behalf of men ...

then there;s the more idiotic workplaces who play silly games with renumeration instead of using defensible job evaluations to set the basic rate and rewarding performance / innovation as it occurs.
Reply 96

No. You also have to look at the uni courses women dominate : english, sociology, psychology, anything with ''studies'' at the end...Do a proper course, get a proper job and work your ass off. Work like a man, get paid like one.

I remember an article about how half of lawyers are now women but very few are partners in their firm. When asked why, most said they didn't want to work ''crazy hours''. If you wanna get paid like a man , you gotta work like one.
Reply 97
Original post by Daquan
If you wanna get paid like a man , you gotta work like one.

What a ridiculous statement.
Okay no women do not directly get paid different amounts for the same job. An employer isn't like "oh, a women? Duck £5000 off gross salary!" however clearly there are issues concerning WHY men work in all the the high paid jobs in the first place. Socially, girls in school aren't given high expectations and aspirations and are under the impression that most of the jobs which pay well are a 'man's job'.
Also, at the point of application, companies are often biased towards hiring men even if they don't know acknowledge it.
Women are more likely to be passed over for promotions and are unlikely to ever make it to officer/manger/director positions. There are more men named Steve who run large companies than all women combined (the same goes for David, John and others!).
(edited 8 years ago)
It's not going to bother me if a male colleague is working more hours than me and taking fewer days off (maternity leave).

Quick Reply

Latest