The Student Room Group

How long are master degrees?

So an undergraduate degree (Bachelor's) is usually 3 years long. There are undergraduate degrees that are basically 3 years Bachelor's + 1 year Master's but this wouldn't count as a complete Master's degree since it's undergraduate. But when I look at postgraduate Master's, it says that it's 1 year long. So what is the difference between 3 years Bachelor's + 1 year Master's combined (undergraduate) and doing 3 years Bachelor's (undergraduate) and then + 1 year of separate Master's (postgraduate)?
Say Science

BSc is a 3 year degree
MSci is a 4 year degree (It is not a masters)
Msc is a i year post grad degree which follows either of the two above

Advantage of Msci
Funded
If you get a high grade you can jump to Phd

Disadvantage of Msci
If you are planning to go for a job is not worth it.
Original post by Lifal12
So what is the difference between 3 years Bachelor's + 1 year Master's combined (undergraduate) and doing 3 years Bachelor's (undergraduate) and then + 1 year of separate Master's (postgraduate)?

The following is written from my old cynical point of view and is in no way based on fact (or is it?…):

Someone in government, a while ago, made the decision that undergraduate degrees would be eligible for 4 year loan funding while postgraduate degrees would not attract any loans.

Universities were worried that they wouldn't be able to fill all the places on their Masters courses because recent graduates, understandably, wouldn't be able to pay for a year of Masters study themselves after accumulating three years of undergraduate debt.

Some bright spark took advantage of the 4 year loophole by inventing a 4 year undergraduate course - and called that fourth year of study an 'undergraduate Masters' year so that participants would be able to access student loans. Everyone was happy - students because they could get a Masters via an undergrad loan, universities because they could keep on filling their places and employing their staff.

So here we are, a few years later, in a situation where there are different routes. There's no easy answer to the 'which is better?' or 'which should I do?' question, because it depends on the subject, the university, and which is the best route for any individual.

edit to add: note introduction of postgrad loans from Autumn 2016
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
What is the fee for MSc (1 year full-time)? The person above also said that "undergraduate degrees would be eligible for 4 year loan funding while postgraduate degrees would not attract any loans". So does that mean you have to pay for the full cost of an MSc degree in one go, unlike a 3-year BSc degree which can be repaid when you are earning a certain amount of money?
Original post by ODES_PDES
Say Science

BSc is a 3 year degree
MSci is a 4 year degree (It is not a masters)
Msc is a i year post grad degree which follows either of the two above

Advantage of Msci
Funded
If you get a high grade you can jump to Phd

Disadvantage of Msci
If you are planning to go for a job is not worth it.

On the other hand, for my degree subject if you do the bachelors rather than the masters, it makes you highly unemployable in the UK, because most people do the masters as standard.
Original post by Lifal12
What is the fee for MSc (1 year full-time)? The person above also said that "undergraduate degrees would be eligible for 4 year loan funding while postgraduate degrees would not attract any loans". So does that mean you have to pay for the full cost of an MSc degree in one go, unlike a 3-year BSc degree which can be repaid when you are earning a certain amount of money?

I was explaining why the situation arose. Postgrad loans will be introduced this Autumn. More details here:

https://www.findamasters.com/funding/guides/new-uk-postgraduate-loans-scheme.aspx

The fee for MSc will vary between universities, you'll have to look up the cost for the particular MScs that you are interested in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending