The Student Room Group

Can you join the army having weight loss surgery?

Hi,

Does anyone know if you are able to join the army if you have had a gastric band fitted? I have seen threads from 2008 - 2011 saying that WLS is a no go, but no recent threads or posts. Perhaps the requirements have changed?

Original post by lucy_6781
Hi,

Does anyone know if you are able to join the army if you have had a gastric band fitted? I have seen threads from 2008 - 2011 saying that WLS is a no go, but no recent threads or posts. Perhaps the requirements have changed?

Highly unlikely, but the only way to know for sure is to ask at an AFCO.
Most likely not. In the field you have to consume 3500 calories per day which I imagine is hard to do with a stomach the size of a shot glass.
Original post by lucy_6781
Hi,

Hi,

Thank you for getting in touch, Unfortunately I am not medically trained. However, I would have a chat with the Medical Admin Team by calling 0345 6008080 and they will be happy to advise you further.

Regards
ArmyJobs

Quick Reply

Latest