Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it worth applying for a manitenance loan as well as a grant? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So i'm applying for student finance for my 3rd and final year. I have applied for the standard 9k tuition fee and a maintenance grant of 3.8k. Im not sure if i should apply for a maintenance loan though.

I'm working flat out during summer so that i can have some money for myself. I'll be living at home so i'll save a lot of money and the only expenses are just books, food, petrol for my car, insurance e.t.c

When it comes to repaying this back, will it mess up my credit score and will i be paying it off for a long time or does it just come out of your payslip once you're earning over £21k??

Any help and advice is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silver Arrow)
    So i'm applying for student finance for my 3rd and final year. I have applied for the standard 9k tuition fee and a maintenance grant of 3.8k. Im not sure if i should apply for a maintenance loan though.

I'm working flat out during summer so that i can have some money for myself. I'll be living at home so i'll save a lot of money and the only expenses are just books, food, petrol for my car, insurance e.t.c

When it comes to repaying this back, will it mess up my credit score and will i be paying it off for a long time or does it just come out of your payslip once you're earning over £21k??

Any help and advice is appreciated.
    Student finance does not affect your credit score, it doesn't show up at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by subject1)
    Student finance does not affect your credit score, it doesn't show up at all.
    So i can go ahead and apply for the maximum maintenance loan? There was something there about having o pay it early and/or that it adjusts itself.

ReputationRep:
    It just comes out your payslip. Take it, it's the best loan you'll ever get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dusky Mauve)
    It just comes out your payslip. Take it, it's the best loan you'll ever get.
    not if you plan to be ambitious and have a salary that will mean you will be able to fully pay your loan.

ReputationRep:
    not if you plan to be ambitious and have a salary that will mean you will be able to fully pay your loan.
    Even then you're paying it back at a much slower rate than you would any other loan. You'd hardly even notice the money was gone if you're earning enough to pay it all back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dusky Mauve)
    Even then you're paying it back at a much slower rate than you would any other loan. You'd hardly even notice the money was gone if you're earning enough to pay it all back.
    As the maintenance loan probably isn't a necessity for the OP (hence why the OP is considering it), is it really worth getting the loan? The loan doesn't exactly have a low interest rate.

If a student has £39000 in debt and a constant salary of £27000 (which is an unlikely scenario as it should increase overtime), and at an interest rate of 2%, the student would still repay it after 28 years.
    - So, you don't exactly have a lot to have to pay it all back.

ReputationRep:
    As the maintenance loan probably isn't a necessity for the OP (hence why the OP is considering it), is it really worth getting the loan? The loan doesn't exactly have a low interest rate.

If a student has £39000 in debt and a constant salary of £27000 (which is an unlikely scenario as it should increase overtime), and at an interest rate of 2%, the student would still repay it after 28 years.
    - So, you don't exactly have a lot to have to pay it all back.
    So is it worth applying for the loan then? I'm confused now.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    You may never know when you may need it.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately we do not know your personal financial circumstances and we're even less able to predict your future than you are.

You just have to make the decision for yourself.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Unfortunately we do not know your personal financial circumstances and we're even less able to predict your future than you are.

You just have to make the decision for yourself.*
    That's not useful. Will i only pay it back once i start earning over a certain amount and also will it affect my future life in terms of credit ratings?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    That's not useful. Will i only pay it back once i start earning over a certain amount and also will it affect my future life in terms of credit ratings?
    You pay it back once you start earning over £21k per year. It's 9% of your earnings. It won't affect your credit rating.

ReputationRep:
    £21000, and as I said, it does not affect your credit rating, and that's because it isn't really a loan provided by financial institutions, but rather, by the government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    You pay it back once you start earning over £21k per year. It's 9% of your earnings. It won't affect your credit rating.
    Is it over £21k or £17k. So i might as well apply for the maximum loan i can get right?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Is it over £21k or £17k. So i might as well apply for the maximum loan i can get right?
    £21k.£17k (ish) is the old per-September 2012 system.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.