The Student Room Group

Struggled to make friends at uni

Hi everyone :smile:. I've just finished my first year at Salford uni and not gonna lie, it's been awful. I had no friends there and I had nothing in common with my flatmates. During freshers week there was only 3 of us and neither of them wanted to go out ( i did but wasn't sure how to find people to go out with without looking weird?)
I know uni ISN'T just about going out but I want to be able to know that i have the option to, and have friends that i know will be there to have fun with. Over the last year I've struggled with depression and anxiety due to becoming estranged from my dad, so i've been struggling with that along with feeling isolated at uni.

In september i'm moving into a new flat at Peel Park with completely new flatmates. Does anyone have any advice for making friends at uni in second year? I just want a handful of people i get along with :frown:
Original post by charchar96
Hi everyone :smile:. I've just finished my first year at Salford uni and not gonna lie, it's been awful. I had no friends there and I had nothing in common with my flatmates. During freshers week there was only 3 of us and neither of them wanted to go out ( i did but wasn't sure how to find people to go out with without looking weird?)
I know uni ISN'T just about going out but I want to be able to know that i have the option to, and have friends that i know will be there to have fun with. Over the last year I've struggled with depression and anxiety due to becoming estranged from my dad, so i've been struggling with that along with feeling isolated at uni.

In september i'm moving into a new flat at Peel Park with completely new flatmates. Does anyone have any advice for making friends at uni in second year? I just want a handful of people i get along with :frown:

My advice would be that you should sit down and get to know them and try to see whether you have any mutual interests and hobbies. Failing that there must be people at your uni with similar interests and hobbies to you.

However i am doing an Apprenticeship and i don't have a wide pool of people of the same age bracket to talk too. I'm the first person doing a creative apprenticeship program at my employer all of my colleagues are pushing 30 and above.
Original post by Polka_Specs
My advice would be that you should sit down and get to know them and try to see whether you have any mutual interests and hobbies. Failing that there must be people at your uni with similar interests and hobbies to you.

However i am doing an Apprenticeship and i don't have a wide pool of people of the same age bracket to talk too. I'm the first person doing a creative apprenticeship program at my employer all of my colleagues are pushing 30 and above.

I agree as you should try to get to know them also try and be yourself. But I expect that you know by now that you can't get along with everybody as there are going to be at least one or two people that you are going to end up disliking

Join clubs and societies that you are interested in. You'll meet tons of like-minded people there! It's okay to talk to random people in campus, as long as you look friendly and approachable. Form connections with people that you meet and sooner or later, they might invite you to meet their other friends which you could hang out with. The process is easier said than done, but like any other skill, social skills require practice :smile: The book 'How to win friends and influence people' may be helpful to you. Finally, seek help from the university counsellors if you need it.
I'm going into my second year at Salford too, I'll be your friend! 😂
Original post by Ethics Maniac
Join clubs and societies that you are interested in. You'll meet tons of like-minded people there! It's okay to talk to random people in campus, as long as you look friendly and approachable. Form connections with people that you meet and sooner or later, they might invite you to meet their other friends which you could hang out with. The process is easier said than done, but like any other skill, social skills require practice :smile: The book 'How to win friends and influence people' may be helpful to you. Finally, seek help from the university counsellors if you need it.

I agree with this. Also, remember that a lot of people feel lonely, even if they appear to be having a great time. It sounds corny, but good friends will find you.
Reply 6

Hi, im at peel park too, please reply if you want to meet up. I have got any friends either since im coming in second year but was ill for a few years so i dont know anyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending