The Student Room Group

Applying for Finance with Parents Leaving Country

Hi,

My situation is pretty strange. I am not a British National, but I have lived here for over 12 years which entitles me to the full support from the government. I have had a permanent address here for 12 years, which I can prove.

Now, my problem is this: For the last 4 years or so I've lived only with my mother. 2 years ago my father became imprisoned and now he is in a mental institution indefinitely. Before the start of September this year, my mother will leave the country and I am starting second year of university in October.

I am staying in the UK, I have accommodation with my extended family for September, and next summer I have an industrial internship. How do I convey this to student finance England? They want me to have an out of term address, which I won't have next year. What should I do? How do I fill in the forms? With my current address? And what do I put as my parent address? It's just super confusing.
Original post by Arcero
Hi,

My situation is pretty strange. I am not a British National, but I have lived here for over 12 years which entitles me to the full support from the government. I have had a permanent address here for 12 years, which I can prove.

Now, my problem is this: For the last 4 years or so I've lived only with my mother. 2 years ago my father became imprisoned and now he is in a mental institution indefinitely. Before the start of September this year, my mother will leave the country and I am starting second year of university in October.

I am staying in the UK, I have accommodation with my extended family for September, and next summer I have an industrial internship. How do I convey this to student finance England? They want me to have an out of term address, which I won't have next year. What should I do? How do I fill in the forms? With my current address? And what do I put as my parent address? It's just super confusing.

You can update your address details when you know them. Put your current address for now and then when you move update with the address you can be contacted at in the UK with your extended family.

Speak to your mum and ask her to make sure she keeps details about her income if you think you'll be entitled to the income assessed living costs loan - student finance will accept income details for parents living outside the UK and the income requested will be historic (for the 2016/17 academic year they ask for income details for 2014/15, next year they'll ask for 2015/16 and the year after 2016/17) and if your parents are outside the UK they may ask for more evidence than if they're UK based.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending