The Student Room Group

I feel lonely and shattered-HELP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xfirekittyx
Maybe get a book on self guided cognitive behavioural therapy, it'll teach you how to combat those negative thoughts more effectively and help with self esteem. Low self esteem is a sign of depression, so if you think your problem is more serious you could consider asking to have CBT on the NHS.

Your B-tec is a new chance to make friends. You'll all be the same boat and have the course in common.

Being a nurse is a fantastic career. My mum's a nurse, and I know I personally could not do it. Doctors may be the ones doing the diagnosis but when you're sick, nurses are the one's who look after you. I've been in hospital a lot and there are a lot of nurses I am grateful to, but I rarely remember the doctors who fly past the wards on their rounds.

One of my school friends ended up leaving after GSCE's and going back to college to do an access course to get onto nursing. Lots of people don't do well in school for a variety of reasons, but you're very young when you're at school - it's not how well you do at school that defines you for the rest of your life.

What do you do hobby wise?

Also as someone else has mentioned, volunteering/ charity work often gives you a bit of boost on the self-esteem front.

Two other simple things you can do
1. Write a list of what you like about yourself try and aim for at least three items and say them out loud. Add to this daily eventually you will have 20+ items on your list. For example 1. I like that I am a good friend, 2. I like that I can make a mean roast dinner 3. I like that I my hair has grown really long - as you can see none of these things involve around intelligence! If you start to doubt yourself 'maybe I'm not a good friend afterall' talk back to yourself 'yes I am because of the time that I helped x at y time by doing z.
2. Try and say thank you to someone or send an email a couple of times a week, being appreciated makes others feel good and in turn probably will make you feel good.

Academics aren't everything, one of friends dropped out of school after GSCE's and became a hairdresser and she's been happy, it's fufilling for her and she's great at it. I don't know what kind of nurse you'd be but generally jobs that involve helping people are very rewarding.

Also, about finding a man, don't rush yourself. There more baggage you have from past relationships the harder it is to stand up, grounded in a new one. I was worried about one of my sister's friend - she didn't have a boyfriend until she was 29, but now she's happily married. Once you've built on your self esteem, someone will notice you.

Thanks for the advice but i don't see no specific quality in me apart from the fact that i am bilingual, nice, helpful, reliable.

But yeah, completely agree that school does not dictate your life.
Original post by Anonymous
I am an 18-year-old female; jobless(HOW DO I GET A JOB), lifeless, scared for the unknown and unmotivated.

I feel lonely in the sense that everybody i know seems to be moving on in life, be it that they are going to university in September or just have their life planned out.:frown:

I also have self-esteem issues which also impact me a lot.:redface:

I am socially awkward. I have next to no friends and i guess i am just depressed about life.

I don't like my height, i look 12, 13 at most, although it depends on what i am wearing mostly.

I just know if ANY man will take an interest in me.

Will i be lonely for ever?:frown:

I am not the most ambitious person.:frown: In fact i lack motivation most of the time.

I hated school, came out with bad grades and now do BTEC in the hope of being a child nurse one day.

I just feel like i am inadequate for everything really, from school to general life.

I sometimes feel jealous of my siblings(older and younger sister) a) they are smarter than me b)they excel academically more than me. They did not have to do BTEC.:redface:

I just don't want people looking down on me as a person.:frown:

I feel like my life is a mess and that i won't amount to anything.:redface:

Lots of people look down on BTEC and think nursing is a poor career to be in.

I know that it does not matter what people think as my self worth should come from my own happiness but its hard when people ask me what you study and i say "BTEC health and social care". It just makes it seem like you are not clever enough or that was the course you had to do.

I need help, how can i regain back my dignity?

Any advice??

All of what you've said here imo just screams really low self esteem :frown:
Sorry you feel this way :hugs: you shouldn't worry about how things look in that sense to other people and don't compare yourself. You need to start to focus on what you want! Ask yourself what is it I want to do and how am I going to get there?
Now you're doing your btec and you want to become a child nurse if things work out. That's a good ambition you have there and if it's really what you want don't get off the track to doing that. Plan, focus and make it happen :smile:
Original post by Little Popcorns
All of what you've said here imo just screams really low self esteem :frown:
Sorry you feel this way :hugs: you shouldn't worry about how things look in that sense to other people and don't compare yourself. You need to start to focus on what you want! Ask yourself what is it I want to do and how am I going to get there?
Now you're doing your btec and you want to become a child nurse if things work out. That's a good ambition you have there and if it's really what you want don't get off the track to doing that. Plan, focus and make it happen:smile:

Yeah :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending