The Student Room Group

Tips for first driving lesson

Has anyone got any useful tips for your first driving lesson. I'm kinda scared. All I know are the pedals
You're gonna screw things up. You're gonna stall. You're gonna steer really sloppily. Your gear changes are gonna be crap, as is your breaking. Pretty much everyone experiences this the first time they drive a car, so just laugh about it for now and laugh about it even more once you've done 20-odd lessons and are doing it all without even thinking about it.
Well that is a start. *Don't be scared it will be fine. Your instructor will help you learn the basics. Are you driving in a manual or automatic? *Getting the biting point is tricky for most people and the gears. Also, keep checking your mirrors regularly for other road users.*

Wear comfortable clothes and shoes. Good luck:smile:*
Reply 3
Original post by Mitt1
Has anyone got any useful tips for your first driving lesson. I'm kinda scared. All I know are the pedals

Just relax.
Ask questions when you aren't sure.
Don't panic if you stall at a junction or anything, I know it feels like you're holding up the entire world, but it's really no big deal, relax and don't try to rush it.
Try and look ahead down the road, see what's going on, don't stare at the car in front.
Every time you decide to adjust your speed or road position check appropriate mirrors.
Don't worry if you make mistakes, that's the reason you're having lessons.
Just relax, it's normal to feel nervous about a first driving lesson :redface:
If you're unsure, ask questions in your lessons
Your instructor will guide you throughout each lesson :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending