The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Jelkin
What? Plain girls are far more likely to have confidence issues when going somewhere slightly exhibitionist (like a club) than pretty girls. I can't believe you'd try to claim otherwise.

Oh please. Most guys feel intimidated to go up to a pretty girl and ask her out for fear of rejection. This is why you often see the pretty girls without a boyfriend. On the other hand, guys would rather go up to plainer looking girls because there is less fear of rejection. This leds the plainer looking girls to feel more confident and is often why they are the ones with the boyfriends.
Reply 101
Ang|ophi|e
Oh please. Most guys feel intimidated to go up to a pretty girl and ask her out for fear of rejection. This is why you often see the pretty girls without a boyfriend. On the other hand, guys would rather go up to plainer looking girls because there is less fear of rejection. This leds the plainer looking girls to feel more confident and is often why they are the ones with the boyfriends.

yeh pretty much, i dont approach pretty girls because i think how could someone as ugly as me ever beable to go out with a pretty girl such as her.. :frown:
g2da3
did i say it was a rap battle

will test the guys lyrics, style, game

hammer time.:cool:
Reply 103
See... my heart says it doesn't matter what they look like.
My head says "nah, they'd overlook me."... But then my other
ego says: "If they overlook me, they aren't worth it".

Thus.... Depends whats your slice of cake. =P

Personally, get a girl with a dollop of class, 2 grams of style and a pint of witt... and i'm set. =P
Reply 104
negated enigma
will test the guys lyrics, style, game

hammer time.:cool:

**does the hammer.**
shady lane
It's really not that simple.

circumstances and ways to get around them are simple, we are the ones that complicate it.

what with all this self victemization its bull crap.
negated enigma
circumstances and ways to get around them are simple, we are the ones that complicate it.

what with all this self victemization its bull crap.

Hmm...what's that bitter smell in the air?
shady lane
Hmm...what's that bitter smell in the air?

i have to deal with my own insecurities, and self admittidly will say i am a troubled young man. so bitter , maybe i am a little.

i think views like yours are only backing up this way of thinking.

all these walls and obstacles we have to get over, we put up ourselves and there's ways around them.

its like don't think it, do it.

i feel that this thread is no longer productive.
Ang|ophi|e
Just a theory here to the fellas. Would do you prefer to ask a plain looking girl out instead of a pretty girl because you felt intimidated/afraid of getting rejected?

Not a problem for me. First off, if I'm "asking someone out", I'm going to be basing it on more than looks. If, hypothetically, I had two girls identical in personality and differing only in looks, I would go for the more attractive - what's to lose?
I'm torn between the two - I don't settle for second best yet I don't have the confidence to go up to the stunning ones. I'm an idiot!
negated enigma
i have to deal with my own insecurities, and self admittidly will say i am a troubled young man. so bitter , maybe i am a little.

i think views like yours are only backing up this way of thinking.

all these walls and obstacles we have to get over, we put up ourselves and there's ways around them.

its like don't think it, do it.

i feel that this thread is no longer productive.

Everybody has problems. The problems of the beautiful are no less valid, just because they have a trait that others would want doesn't mean that it makes their lives easier or that they are promised romantic happiness. If you want people to be considerate of your issues, you should be considerate of the issues that others face.
Reply 111
If Nash equilibrium is upheld, then yes.
shady lane
Everybody has problems. The problems of the beautiful are no less valid, just because they have a trait that others would want doesn't mean that it makes their lives easier or that they are promised romantic happiness. If you want people to be considerate of your issues, you should be considerate of the issues that others face.

absolute tosh.

the problems of the beautiful are no less valid- yes ,like if they suffer somekind of horrific event in there lives, someone close to them dies, if they have suffered domestic abuse or economical struggles but not having a problem pulling blokes:mad:

its like i've walked into a alternative reality in this thread.

its the blind leeding the blind the foolish led by the fools.:cool:
The problems of pulling are the same for everyone. If you want to pull or get a boyfriend/girlfriend and you have problems doing so, it is AS BAD for you regardless of what you look like. You still don't get what you want at the end of the day. Pulling is not equivalent to the death of a loved-one for anyone, whether you are attractive or not.

You seem to be saying that there is an intrinsic benefit of looking good - I do not believe that there is one, other than getting compliments perhaps. I would feel bad for a girl who cannot find romantic happiness, and it wouldn't matter if she was beautiful or not. If she can't pull or date and wants to, she is still not getting what she wants and it doesn't really matter what she looks like, does it?

You seriously just sound bitter and I think you would have more luck if you just focused on yourself.
shady lane
The problems of pulling are the same for everyone. If you want to pull or get a boyfriend/girlfriend and you have problems doing so, it is AS BAD for you regardless of what you look like. You still don't get what you want at the end of the day. Pulling is not equivalent to the death of a loved-one for anyone, whether you are attractive or not.

You seem to be saying that there is an intrinsic benefit of looking good - I do not believe that there is one, other than getting compliments perhaps. I would feel bad for a girl who cannot find romantic happiness, and it wouldn't matter if she was beautiful or not. If she can't pull or date and wants to, she is still not getting what she wants and it doesn't really matter what she looks like, does it?

You seriously just sound bitter and I think you would have more luck if you just focused on yourself.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

i think once the other person decides to get personal you know you've really won the arguament.

victory is mine.:cool: :cool: :cool:
I think you made the first personal comment about "the blind leading the blind" and whatnot.
shady lane
I think you made the first personal comment about "the blind leading the blind" and whatnot.

are you blind?:cool:
Dude...I wish you luck. But don't take out your feelings of inadequacy on people who may feel as bad about themselves as you.

Maybe you should use the information in this thread to give you the confidence to hit on a stunner next time you're out, she could be very open to a guy who shares her self-esteem issues.
shady lane
...You seem to be saying that there is an intrinsic benefit of looking good - I do not believe that there is one, other than getting compliments perhaps. I ...

I don't agree at all. I'll try and find some citations to back this up, but I've read about studies that observed that upon meeting someone, you are more like to attribute positive qualities to a more physically attractive person. Then there's the simple fact that you'll be more likely to attract more people, and hence attract better looking people, which is seen as a goal by many. Finally, good looks can help self-esteem, and the converse applies equally. I admit this is not an intrinsic quality, but I think it is relevant nonetheless.
Thing is, I think this whole issue is looked at in the wrong way. A positive confident person is likely to attract a similarly positive confident person and similarly, a shy person is far less likely to attract a positive confident person. Of course, it would be foolish and naive of me to say looks didn't come into consideration, but the argument between whether a pretty girl loses out to a plain looking girl depends more on her personality in my opinion. If a pretty girl is really confident then the majority of guys think "no chance" so the whole thing is relative.

Latest

Trending

Trending