The Student Room Group

First time going to the gym - any advice?

Scroll to see replies

dont feel the need to copy anyone, or try and compete with anyone

do ur workout at ur own pace and only what you can handle

Spoiler

Original post by Unistudent77
I'm sure they would help you if you asked them!

However, the 'workers' at my gym just sit at desks etc.

My advice to you is:

Use machines at first. It is easy.
Research about fitness in your free time. Learn about Squatting etc (i feel this is the most important of the 'big three' for females - aesthetics wise)

After looking into stuff, use Youtube too. Finding good info is hit and miss but read the FAQ on here, that's a great start. People like Amanda Bucci, Jasmine Garcia, Nikki Blackletter are decent enough people to follow. (I'm not female so harder for me to suggest)

You'll learn about free weights and can then tackle them.

I'd say do an upper/lower split 4 times a week or full body 3 times a week.

Main thing is:

Most people have minimal knowledge, don't be intimidated.

Do your own research. Don't expect to feel confident anytime soon.

Nobody will notice you, they'll be too busy with their set. It is purely 'spotlight syndrome' if you think people are watching.

Get in a habit of going regularly, male it just something you do. You'll enjoy it most days but obviously not every time.

You'll not regret it

Thank you for the good advice - I will look into those you tubers. It really is spotlight syndrome haha. I plan on going 3 times a week- apparently it gets addictive once you start so hopefully I won't slack
Original post by 999tigger
If you wnat to lose weight its 80% diet and being at a calorie deficit. Its easier to control your food intake than it is to burn more.

Gym is more about getting fit.

Imo its better to do a bit of research and have a routine so you have a plan to follow when you get there , rather than wander round feeling lost and not doing much.

Hard not to be self conscious, but nobody is bothered about you or looking at you. Everyone is there for the same reason of getting or staying healthy. Its importnat to keep going on a regular basis rather than be put off. A bottle so you cna have something to drink, some music (less boring) and soem tissue or mini towel to wipe down.

Am site cucumber put a faq up, but here are plenty of sites talking about routines. Once you have been going for about 6 weeks 3+ times a week, then you should start feeling comfier.

Diet meaning less sugar and carbs? or just less food? Yeah I realise now I should definitely get myself a routine so I'm not wandering around. Than you :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Natashadesigner
I was watching a youtube video of a girl doing her workout (she has 100k followers), and at the end she said she went up to one of the workers/trainers to help her with her squat form and he did!

I know that's fine.

It's that 'thank you' to what he said that irked me
Original post by mariam687
dont feel the need to copy anyone, or try and compete with anyone

do ur workout at ur own pace and only what you can handle

Spoiler

Oh yeah! is stretching good enough or are you meant to properly warm up? The few times Ive exercised the next day my joints and muscles are so painful
[QUOTE=Truth';67633904]How dare you oppose me with such nonsense.

No one cares if you used to be intimidated by free weights or grizzly bears for that matter.

If you've never been to the gym, the first time you go there, you see a machine. You think OO I WANT TO USE THAT but someone is already using it. You OBSERVE what they are doing. Once they leave, you then copy what they do.

If you want to check your form or whatever you're claiming, you ask or you go home and research. BUT FIRST AND FOREMOST YOU OBSERVE AND IMITATE TO LEARN.

It would be better to already know what you want to work BEFORE going into the gym.

You learn by reading the stickers on said machine which tell you how to use it.

The person could be using horrible ROM on say leg extensions with very heavy weight putting excess strain on their knees.

They could have the seat way too close or far away on the leg press. Clearly, the person needs to use their won common sense and not just 'Observe and imitate'.

I've seen horrible form on a lat pull down machine.

I could go on...

Blindly following a random is why 95% of people who use machines have made zero gains after 6 months of lifting.
Reply 26
Original post by Unistudent77
It would be better to already know what you want to work BEFORE going into the gym.

You learn by reading the stickers on said machine which tell you how to use it.

The person could be using horrible ROM on say leg extensions with very heavy weight putting excess strain on their knees.

They could have the seat way too close or far away on the leg press. Clearly, the person needs to use their won common sense and not just 'Observe and imitate'.

I've seen horrible form on a lat pull down machine.

I could go on...

Blindly following a random is why 95% of people who use machines have made zero gains after 6 months of lifting.

OP's question was specifically for the first time at the gym.

I believe I answered that in a more suitable way.

Your points are not wrong. The issue is that you deemed mine as such

Which is simply not the case.
Oh yeah! is stretching good enough or are you meant to properly warm up? The few times Ive exercised the next day my joints and muscles are so painful

yeah u should, but if you do get pains the next day even tho you did warm up, its due to the actual workout, eg if u did legs then ur legs will be hurting for the next 3-4 days, thats normal

but bc i never warmed up id get really bad extreme pains, like once i had so much pain in my stomach and upperbody, i couldnt even breathe..

so yh, defo warm up
[QUOTE=Natashadesigner;67634084]Oh yeah! is stretching good enough or are you meant to properly warm up? The few times Ive exercised the next day my joints and muscles are so painful

There is debate over this.

Just get yourself 'warm'. So using light weight and many reps as a warm up is enough.
If any muscles feel 'tight' before working out then stretching won't hurt.

That 'pain' is DOMS. That will go away once you train 3+ times a week.

Make sure you stretch and warm down properly. Once you get into it a foam roller wouldn't be a bad investment...
But you won't need that yet
[QUOTE=Truth';67634124]OP's question was specifically for the first time at the gym.

I believe I answered that in a more suitable way.

Your points are not wrong. The issue is that you deemed mine as such

Which is simply not the case.

Fair.

Having read her follow-up posts i am under the impression (she referred to DOMS) that she has now been.

My advice was more 'going forwards'.

I never said most won't 'observe and imitate', they will! Human nature.

I don't disagree with your advice but in order for OP to improve then she needs to not follow like a sheep.
Apologies then if it came across like i was slating you.

It is a subject which is over complicated imo.

Get on a routine based around what you want to achieve.
Progressive overload.
Diet.
Sleep.
Constantly try and improve form and research.

That's it for a year or two.
Reply 30
Dont drop the soap..
Diet meaning less sugar and carbs? or just less food? Yeah I realise now I should definitely get myself a routine so I'm not wandering around. Than you :smile:

Fewer calories, so you are at deficit. Go and open yourself an account on MFP. without a deficit you will not lose. Tge best way to know if you are at deficit is to weigh and record your food, so you know how many calories you consume. Its c3500 calories or 500 a day for a week fewer calories which will give you a theoretical 1lb weight loss. Gym is principally for getting fitter. It cna help calories and also increase the ratio of fat loss, which is what you want.

Worst thing you can do is not knowing how weight loss works.
Not having an idea of what you are meant to be doing in the gym, then wander round aimlessly trying things , getting bored and giving up.
Reply 32
Check out BuffBunny (Heidi Sommers) and Whitney Simmons on Youtube. Fantastic videos for getting started. They also have super motivational instagrams.
Don't kill yourself with cardio on the treadmills etc for hours, you'll just hate it. Once your comfortable do some HIIT workouts of check out plyo circuits and weight training. Despite what everyone thinks, weights don't have to make you bulky. Weight training can give you a toned overall look depending on how you use it.
I got into weight training about 8 months ago and I've never looked back, honestly now I love going to the gym and it motivates me to eat well because I know i'll see better results.
Stick with it, remember that it takes time too see a change :smile:
If you want I can send you a message with my routine and some more advice.

Quick Reply

Latest