The Student Room Group

The love of my life broke up with me. What should I do?

My ex boyfriend broke up with me 4 days ago because he felt I had neglected him. I had no idea, I thought we were in love. He never communicated it to me and I feel absolutely awful about it. He said things hadn’t been right for a year in our relationship of almost 3 years. I just wish I he told me sooner so I could have tried to be a better girlfriend. I was always loyal to him and never had eyes for anyone else but I know I can get engrossed and carried away with hobbies and work, I’d done this for so long and most the time he felt he was just ‘sitting there’, and this has caused him to feel distant to me and unsure of his feelings.

The last 4 days I feel I’ve done everything I can. I have called him, turned up at his doorstep with small gifts, poured my heart out to him and told him how much he means to me, promised to make things better between us and give him the love he deserves if he were to take me back, and even go to counselling. Although he told me what a wonderful person I am and how he always wants me in his life as a friend (I don’t want this! It would hurt too much, especially if he were to meet someone else one day) he’s not said he wants to get back together, he’s just said he doesn’t know and is confused. I asked him if there is anyone else and he promises me there isn’t, and his mother who he lives with says she’s sure there anyone else isn’t either.

It’s heartbreaking to not be given a straight answer, so yesterday I asked him to think about it and get in touch if he decides he wants to give it another try. I also said not to contact me again if he doesn’t wish to and respect I need to move on. He said he doesn’t mean to mess me about and is genuinely confused. I sent him a soppy personalised ecard telling him how sorry I was before I ended the conversation, and he responded with ‘thank you so much, that is so so sweet’.And that’s it. What do you think guys? Shall I start with NC and know I did all I can and if he doesn’t get in touch accept his love wasn’t enough and move on?
Reply 1
The ball is in his court. Accept you were distant and let him be. If he's interested again he'll tell you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I'm in the same situation, my gf of 3 years ended our relationship at the start of her final year at uni because she doesn't know what she wants. She's already kissed one guy on a drunken night but still texts me and says she wants to feel loved by me, I'm doing all i can i just don't know how long i can do it for. I don't know what to do :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending