The Student Room Group

The 'Official' RAF Application Guide

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FattyHater
I agree, this wasn't supposed to put people off. However, I wouldn't necessarily say that it was easy, as people(I for one) have been unsuccessful, but it's definitely possible for almost anyone to attain the levels of aptitude and fitness required, yes. :smile:

Don't worry I'm not put off by this whatsoever. In fact, knowing what I need to do to improve has made me even more determined. Just a quick question, what should I expect at OASC if I ever get to that stage? Is it as challenging as some people say? Thanks!
Reply 41
Original post by samuelking97
Don't worry I'm not put off by this whatsoever. In fact, knowing what I need to do to improve has made me even more determined. Just a quick question, what should I expect at OASC if I ever get to that stage? Is it as challenging as some people say? Thanks!

I've never reached OASC first hand, but I've spoken to many people who have, and unfortunately yes and no. It's not 'challenging' as such, everything required is relatively simple, but very competitive. For example, the minimum fitness level is a 9.10, but you'd need to hit 10-11 to reach a competitive score, if that makes sense? It depends on what you define as challenging ultimately
hello i have my interview this Sunday, i wanted to know to if the interview questions are the same for every interview because the corporal at RAF Benson sent me just general services questions about nato, current operations, the role of the raf, what types of aircraft they fly, basic training, oversea bases, and my understanding of saBRE organisation which i didn't have a clue about until researched it.I have researched all of the questions that you put but i just wanted to know if the questions i got sent are the only ones i have to research. i am applying to be chef so i was wondering maybe i don`t need to know to much information just want he sent me
Original post by zoe_wilson1994
hello i have my interview this Sunday, i wanted to know to if the interview questions are the same for every interview because the corporal at RAF Benson sent me just general services questions about nato, current operations, the role of the raf, what types of aircraft they fly, basic training, oversea bases, and my understanding of saBRE organisation which i didn't have a clue about until researched it.I have researched all of the questions that you put but i just wanted to know if the questions i got sent are the only ones i have to research. i am applying to be chef so i was wondering maybe i don`t need to know to much information just want he sent me

I imagine they change up the questions slightly depending on the role you're applying for and who is conducting your interview. Although, I doubt they will ask you anything really specific about your role that you wouldn't expect. As long as you cover all the areas you mentioned you should be fine.

The only thing question that caught me off-guard in my interview was being asked what the purpose of my role is within the RAF, so prepare for that and the ones you mentioned and you should be fine. Good luck!
Reply 44
Original post by zoe_wilson1994

All of the questions you are likely to be asked are on Page 1. You should know the answer to most of those anyway if you want a career in the RAF, regardless of which role you're going for. All interviews follow the same sort of pattern as the AFCO staff have a quota of questions they need to ask you. It'll do you good to know your answers to all of them. As far as trade specific questions go, talk about where your phase 2 is held, how long for, where you're likely to be stationed etc :-)
Has anyone on here applied or know of anyone who has applied post laser eye surgery?
Reply 46
Original post by RekoRanger
Has anyone on here applied or know of anyone who has applied post laser eye surgery?

Not me personally unfortunately. I presume it would effect you depending which role you're going for? I have no idea honestly..

No, but I do where glasses. When I had my medical they sent me a form for my optician to fill in on the strength of the lenses and the specifics of my prescription, for the person doing the medical to review. My memory is failing me, but I think the form had space for a similar sort of thing for laser eye surgery.

This is all guesswork, but I assume it's done on a case-by-case basis, like with glasses and contact lenses. I'd ask your AFCO though, if you're concerned about it.

As FattyHater mentioned, it depends on what role you are applying for.
Hi again, I was asking with regards to aircrew and pilot specifically but I meant the question for any role. Has there been a limitation on when they could apply and stuff?
Reply 50
Hi again, I was asking with regards to aircrew and pilot specifically but I meant the question for any role. Has there been a limitation on when they could apply and stuff?

Pilots and aircrew I'm going to hazard a guess and say unfortunately no, the medical requirement for pilots and aircrew is substantially higher than for other roles. For anything else, I would assume it would be on a case by case basis being role dependent.

Ah, apologies.

From what I've heard (and this is only a rumour) Laser eye surgery,I think as long as its been two years since the procedure, is acceptable as long as all other criteria is met. Again, its worth either contacting your AFCO and or RAF Cranwell medical department.

Have you had a recent ophthalmic supplement filled out? Did you optician say your eyesight was acceptable?

Hope this helps.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello all,

Quick question: Visiting the AFCO, what is the best way to refer to the NCOs? As a civilian, what is the best practice? Address them by rank or just by sir, as you would in regular life. Thank you.

Excellent thread btw, very helpful.
Original post by OMGitsMYmum
Hello all,

Quick question: Visiting the AFCO, what is the best way to refer to the NCOs? As a civilian, what is the best practice? Address them by rank or just by sir, as you would in regular life. Thank you.

Excellent thread btw, very helpful.

By their rank, with a tone that suggests you are junior to them! Unless they say otherwise of course, and any Officers, always Sir. However, no-one in an AFCO should jump on you if you call an NCO Sir (as they would if you were in the Services!). They will accept it as a civilian courtesy.
Original post by threeportdrift
By their rank, with a tone that suggests you are junior to them! Unless they say otherwise of course, and any Officers, always Sir. However, no-one in an AFCO should jump on you if you call an NCO Sir (as they would if you were in the Services!). They will accept it as a civilian courtesy.

Thank you very the extremely quick reply. Yeah that was my worry, I didn't want to sound pretentious or anything xD
Hi all,

I'm due to have my first selection interview this coming Friday, and basically I'm bricking it... any one got some tips?? How was it for you, what sort of questions did they ask and what are they looking for me to know? Thank you
Original post by Lewis_1997
Hi all,

I'm due to have my first selection interview this coming Friday, and basically I'm bricking it... any one got some tips?? How was it for you, what sort of questions did they ask and what are they looking for me to know? Thank you

You may find this useful. If not then feel free to ask further questions!

https://ryan9900.wordpress.com/initialfilter-interview/
Hi am thinking of applying for SNCO ATC. My question is will i be going for the OASC and be doing the 3 days of leadership testing, problem solving, and planning exercises? or will be treated as a recruit so nothing of that sort.Can u kindly help me with the process.Thanks
Hi am thinking of applying for SNCO ATC.
My question is will i be going for the OASC and be doing the 3 days of leadership
testing, problem solving, and planning exercises? or will be treated as a recruit so nothing of that sort.Can u kindly help me with the process.
Thanks
Original post by aoduro28941
Hi am thinking of applying for SNCO ATC.
My question is will i be going for the OASC and be doing the 3 days of leadership
testing, problem solving, and planning exercises? or will be treated as a recruit so nothing of that sort.Can u kindly help me with the process.
Thanks

Good morning,

You will firstly go to attend your Computer Based Aptitude Test (CBAT) at Cranwell, once you have completed that with a good to competitive pass, you will then be put forward for your OASC (after various interviews and medical conducted at your local AFCO)

I'm not too up to scratch with the OASC process as I've not attended myself. I'm sure someone on here will help with that segment though.

Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest