The Student Room Group

Becoming an innovator

Hi,

(@Someboady inspired me to do this)

So atm I'm on a gap year and decided to invest in my self. I am starting this thread as a way of blogging my progress. I'd hope that this can motivate me and maybe motivate/inspire you guys.(yes this is cheesy but shut up lol)

I basically plan to study all of science/engineering using online resources and books.

I will keep editing this first post to summarise what I've completed/ what I plan to complete and targets etc etc

What I've done so far:
A-levels:
(Edexcel) Maths + Further Maths A level: C1-C4, M1-M4, Fp1-Fp2, D1, S1
Chemistry (OCR A) A level
(Edexcel SNAB) Biology A level
Physics (AQA) AS

Recap M3, M4, and FP2:
M3: 5/5 chapters recapped.
M4:5/5 chapters completed.
FP2:7/7 chapters recapped.

Khan academy:
Biology:5/22 topics completed
Physics: 5/18 topics completed
Maths: 2/18 topics completed

Edx:

Coursera:

Futurelearn:
Innovation: the world's greatest (complete)
Electrify (In progress)

CourseGuru:

What I plan on doing:
-M5 and Fp3 (just for myself, won't do the exams)
-Recap fp2 and m3/m4
-Physics A level (just for myself, won't do the exams)
-Khan academy: All the science sections, maths and Computing
-MOOCs: tons of courses, too many to list lol.
-Youtube Channels: Cover+recap anything I haven't done/forgot.
-Mechanics of materials (Timothy Philpot 3rd edition)
-Modern Engineering mathematics (Glyn James 5th edition)
-briefly cover some concepts in Engineering mechanics STATICS (Meriam, Kraige 7th edition)
-OpenStax books (All the science ones)
-Bookboon books
-MIT online textbooks
-IntTech books
-collegeopentextbooks
-Open Textbook Library

Online resources I will be using:
-Khan academy (website+app)
-Edx online open courseware (website+app)
-Coursera (website+app)
-Futurelearn(website)
-CourseGuru(App)
-Michel van biezen(youtube channel)
-Mjlorton(youtube channel)
-MaChemGuy (youtube channel)
-Ms Cooper's A level Biology( youtube channel)
-A Level Physics Online (youtube channel)
-Codeacademy (website)
-Examsolutions (website)
-Bookboon
-MIT online textbooks
-IntTech books
-collegeopentextbooks
-Open Textbook Library
-I also have many apps downloaded on my phone related to science and engineering.

Current targets:
I've decided to postpone most of the online courses and focus on the basics until new years, meaning I will focus on khan academy, A-level books, YT channels and some other books. Might do a few as I go along but I'll see how it goes.

What I use to keep up with the latest news in science : http://futurism.com
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChuckNorriss
Hi,

(@Someboady inspired me to do this)

So atm I'm on a gap year and decided to invest in my self. I am starting this thread as a way of blogging my progress. I'd hope that this can motivate me and maybe motivate/inspire you guys.(yes this is cheesy but shut up lol)

I basically plan to study all of science/engineering using online resources and books.

I will keep editing this first post to summarise what I've completed/ what I plan to complete and targets etc etc

What I've done so far:
A-levels:
Maths+ Further Maths Alevel: C1-C4, M1-M4, Fp1-Fp2, D1, S1
Chemistry OCR A A-level
Edexcel SNAB Biology
Physics AQA A level (9/13 topics completed from AS)

Khan academy:
Biology:4 topics down, 25 to go

Edx:

Coursera:

Futurelearn:
Innovation: the world's greatest (complete)
Electrify (In progress)

CourseGuru:

What I plan on doing:
-M5 and Fp3 (just for myself, won't do the exams)
-Recap fp2 and m3/m4
-Physics A level (just for myself, won't do the exams)
-Khan academy: All the science sections, maths and Computing
-MOOCs: tonnes of courses, too many to list lol.
-Youtube Channels: Cover+recap anything I haven't done/forgot.
-Mechanics of materials (Timothy Philpot 3rd edition)
-Modern Engineering mathematics (Glyn James 5th edition)
-briefly cover some concepts in Engineering mechanics STATICS (Meriam, Kraige 7th edition)
-OpenStax books (All the science ones)

Online resources I will be using:
-Khan academy (website+app)
-Edx online open courseware (website+app)
-Coursera (website+app)
-Futurelearn(website)
-CourseGuru(App)
-Michel van biezen(youtube channel)
-Mjlorton(youtube channel)
-MaChemGuy (youtube channel)
-Ms Cooper's A level Biology( youtube channel)
-A Level Physics Online (youtube channel)
-Codeacademy (website)
-Examsolutions (website)
-I also have many apps downloaded on my phone related to science and engineering.

Current targets:
I've decided to postpone most of the online course and focus on the basics until new years, meaning I will focus on khan academy, A-level books, YT channels and some other books. Might do a few as I go along but I'll see how it goes.

This sounds awesome! Best of luck!!!!! :biggrin:
Day 1,2,3

I've hardly done anything other than some work on leptons and hadrons. Been really busy past few days making calls and being invited places. (okay I admit I did procrastrinate some so gotta fix that smh)
Day 4,5,6,7,8
Was very busy from day 4-7 so done nothing on those days and was busy sorting out some other things today but still managed to do a tiny bit of work today. Finished a topic in physics and recapped M3 chapter 1. I've become so rusty 😭😭😭

On the plus side; I've found two websites that offer free books. It's literally a gold mine! I'll edit in the names on the first post.
Hopefully from now I can really start cracking down and getting some work done.

What I listen to while studying: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LqRZ2_w56U0
Day 12
Managed to finish recapping another 2 chapters of m3 and done a topic from biology in khan academy.
Nowhere near enough work being done. Hopefully, I can improve upon this.
Day 13
Made notes on a topic from physics and recapped the circular motion chapter from M3. Productivity is becoming better but still loads of room for improvement.
Day 15.
Finished recapping the last chapter of M3 and recapped two chapters from FP2 ( the way I recap is by doing a few questions from said topic and see if I can still do them, if not, I go back and revisit some exercises) Also found 3 more places I can get free books from (legally, check the first post to see from where) and downloaded loads as well. Stuff are going pretty well, becoming more and more consistent.
Day 18.
yesterday I recapped further complex number, by far the most annoying chapter of fp2, and today I recapped First order and Second order differential equations. I spent a bit more time on Second order by doing a few more questions than usual, this is because I will be doing second order differential equations quite a lot in the future so I wanted to perfect the basics.

My perspective is that I want to perfect the basics for now so that in the future I'll understand concepts much easier rather than just learn them and memorise, This would allow me to link ideas better for anything I'd innovate

I need to become much more consistent with my work ethic, and definitely need to increase the amount I'm doing each day. ( any tips would be appreciated!!)
You are an inspiring person, work hard~
I just ruined your blog with my random post :biggrin:
Innovate! Innovate! Innovate!
Yayyyyyyy
Original post by Han-Mingi
You are an inspiring person, work hard~
I just ruined your blog with my random post :biggrin:
Innovate! Innovate! Innovate!
Yayyyyyyy

not at all!
Im glad that you feel inspired ( if you did)
(edited 7 years ago)
Day 23
Past few days have been pretty hectic, major clean up in the house but still managed to get some work done.
Finished fp2 recapping and Physics AS notes, started M4 and recapped chapter 1, by far the worst chapter, Also completed 2 topics from physics in khan academy.

Funny thing happened, A few weeks back when taking notes on photoelectricity I thought to myself "when will I ever need this" but still revised it and took notes. Just a few days ago I read an article on more efficient electronics, and some of the theory behind it was what I studied. You just never know when and what...
Day 24
Did some work on my personal statement today, changed a few stuff around.
managed to complete 3 topics of physics from khan academy and did conics, I know that I'll be doing it in fp3 in more depth but thought why not.
I just can't wait till I get the basics out of the way and start these online courses and books!!!
Day 26
So over the past two days I've completed recapping m4 (chapters 2-5) and done some work on vectors since I feel like my foundation in that topic is weak.
Also done some work on my personal statement.

I'm quite satisfied rn tbh, studying has become more of a habit than a chore.
Hopefully, bit by bit I can tweak this habit to be more efficient and longer (as in study for longer).
Useful for developing a good habit (Elliot Hulse): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEnHzV9XpL0
(edited 7 years ago)
Have decided to stop this thread and prolly going to try and get it deleted, my intentions got mixed up and I felt under pressure to make progress just so that I can write something on here.
Sorry guys

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending