The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zangoose
If he's doing History or Philosophy then yeah, definitely dump. A 2:2 in either of those is as useful as a quadruple amputee trying to swim.

What about English lit? :redface:
Original post by Nottie
you can say that about everything then.
Your education status reflects many things. Your intelligence, your ambition, if you are hard working or lazy....
He may have a legitimate reason to do badly (aka depression, family issues, part time job), but if he can't get past 2:2 (which really isn't super super hard) because hes lazy then I don't see how its not a reason as good as any other to leave him.
Especially if OP is an ambitious person

Exactly! He should be getting above a 2:2.
Strong username-to-post ratio
wow
Original post by Twinpeaks
I wouldn't dump a guy if he was made redundant, but I would if he became very fat with no intention of losing it...

Take a look at your gender stereotyping there. You've emphasised appearance for women, and career/ academic attainment for men.

Tsk tsk :colonhash:

I'm free to set whatever requirements I personally value in a partner, even if those requirements appear uncharitable or based on archaic beliefs.

Looks are a definite prerequisite for marriage, but if I am to take the risk of actually entering a legal union with a woman in a way which is not nihilistic and not based on me reducing her to nothing aside from her looks and body, she actually will have to meet stringent requirements pertaining to issues of academic success, familial wealth, not being basic or social media obsessed and not having divorced parents or grandparents.

:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
To be honest, with a 2:2 he might find it hard to get a well paying graduate job so you might want to consider dumping him unless you can get a 2:1 and be the main provider in the family :smile:
Original post by l'etranger
I'm free to set whatever requirements I personally value in a partner, even if those requirements appear uncharitable or based on archaic beliefs.

Looks are a definite prerequisite for marriage, but if I am to take the risk of actually entering a legal union with a woman in a way which is not nihilistic and not based on me reducing her to nothing aside from her looks and body, she actually will have to meet stringent requirements pertaining to issues of academic success, familial wealth, not being basic or social media obsessed and not having divorced parents or grandparents.

You missed the entire point of my post.

Not having divorced parents? Are you serious? Are you Asian?
phlegmatic pig, I hope your name is spread around TSR and in the papers. I've just emailed the daily mail myself they'd love your story.
You missed the entire point of my post.

Not having divorced parents? Are you serious? Are you Asian?

I'm White (of varying ethnicities).

If I'm going to show some a level of loyalty which is predicated upon a belief they would do the same for me, they had better be of damn good genetic stock, or they're getting the Instagram ho treatment.

not having divorced grandparents is a bit far tbh

>familial wealth
I'm White (of varying ethnicities).

If I'm going to show some a level of loyalty which is predicated upon a belief they would do the same for me, they had better be of damn good genetic stock, or they're getting the Instagram ho treatment.

So by writing off any woman with divorced parents, you surely have to completely oppose the idea of divorce yourself, otherwise your level of hypocrisy would simply be embarrassing. Right?

So, say you meet a woman in her 20s who is gorgeous, career focussed, genuine personality etc, perfect for you. You fall in love, get married.

Skip forward 10 years and you are miserable together. She never wants to spend any time with you, can't stand your company and is having an affair with her colleague.

Are you telling me that for the sake of loyalty, you would not divorce this woman? But would spend the next 40-50 years of your life in sheer misery?

Orrrrr if you do divorce this woman. You would show no intention of having another relationship with a woman who could bring happiness and love to your life? Because like you say, someone who is associated with divorce is damaged goods?
Original post by Palmyra
not having divorced grandparents is a bit far tbh

It's the real (unspoken) reason respectable people meet the family before getting serious, you wanna know if they're bad on the inside :nothing: I don't wanna tie myself up with a volatile asset. Altering the language used when describing aspects of existence can portray the same thing in very different ways, you can talk about getting with the hot waitress in a very beautiful way, you don't care about her wealth or her background she makes you happy, or you can talk about it in a dehumanising way where you don't care about a woman other than what she can give you sexually which is why you're happy with her in spite of how one dimensional she is.

Original post by Pikachū
>familial wealth

I don't want to lose out badly in a divorce court.

So by writing off any woman with divorced parents, you surely have to completely oppose the idea of divorce yourself, otherwise your level of hypocrisy would simply be embarrassing. Right?

So, say you meet a woman in her 20s who is gorgeous, career focussed, genuine personality etc, perfect for you. You fall in love, get married.

Skip forward 10 years and you are miserable together. She never wants to spend any time with you, can't stand your company and is having an affair with her colleague.

Are you telling me that for the sake of loyalty, you would not divorce this woman? But would spend the next 40-50 years of your life in sheer misery?

Orrrrr if you do divorce this woman. You would show no intention of having another relationship with a woman who could bring happiness and love to your life? Because like you say, someone who is associated with divorce is damaged goods?

The point it to not marry women who are genetically bad. Also I am hypocritical because for me, my own good matters more than the collective good of humanity.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's the real (unspoken) reason respectable people meet the family before getting serious, you wanna know if they're bad on the inside :nothing: I don't wanna tie myself up with a volatile asset. Altering the language used when describing aspects of existence can portray the same thing in very different ways, you can talk about getting with the hot waitress in a very beautiful way, you don't care about her wealth or her background she makes you happy, or you can talk about it in a dehumanising way where you don't care about a woman other than what she can give you sexually which is why you're happy with her in spite of how one dimensional she is.

I don't want to lose out badly in a divorce court.

The point it to not marry women who are genetically bad. Also I am hypocritical because for me, my own good matters more than the collective good of humanity.

fair enough, though one would assume you'd know a girl well enough to know she wouldn't try to get money out of you before marrying her
Original post by phlegmatic pig
He is sort of scoring around 57-62%, but I can't see him making the 2:1.

Can I have him
Reply 55
Dump him so he can find someone who actually cares about him. A 2.2 doesn't make a person a **** boyfriend, he might just not be that arsed about uni or doing something really hard.
dump dump dump

so that when he is earning his millions you can sit in a corner and cry

:biggrin:
Original post by Pikachū
fair enough, though one would assume you'd know a girl well enough to know she wouldn't try to get money out of you before marrying her

I don't believe that women specifically marry to steal a man's wealth in this conniving, planned out manner like some people think.

The real problem is the lack of consequences associated with divorce from the perspective of women, good looking women will always be able to find men who want to have sex with them, even if they won't marry them and with the continued expansion of the welfare state, they can easily survive as unmarried single mothers. The traditional male role of provider has lost its relevance.

My initial comment about dumping fat girls is a perfectly effective male strategy in the modern world given a) how socially acceptable making out of wedlock children is and b) the risks associated with marriage from the male perspective. I don't actually advocate living your live that way, it's degenerate, but it is the low road solution to a problem nobody even acknowledges.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by Zangoose
I've hardly met any males who do psychology, if any. Not a good sign, TBH :colonhash:

hahaha. in fact more men study psychology than females, and have career in that sector. It is a very hard degree.
Original post by HS2030
hahaha. in fact more men study psychology than females

No they don't.

Original post by HS2030
It is a very hard degree.

No it isn't.

Latest

Trending

Trending