Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherlockfan)
    So I went to the library today just to pass the time and I was sitting there reading, minding my own business when this dodgy looking man comes up to me and asks if i know what time the library closes. I thought he genuinely wanted to know so I told him it closes at eight. But then he asks me if the book im reading is any good (Harry potter and the cursed child). Not wishing to engage in further conversation, i tell him yes and return to by book. Then he asks if the other harry potter books are good, and I say yes they are, trying to make myself quite clear that I wish to be alone, at which point he goes away.
    I'm just surprised and slightly disturbed at the desperate measures guys will resort to with complete strangers just to get the attention of someone from the opposite sex. I'm not even remotely attractive, and if this happens again I intend to make myself quite clear and say that I just wish to read my book in peace.
    It was just a bit pathetic and creepy really and it ruined my inner peace just a little bit. Not a lot, just a bit. I shouldnt have to endure that. And in a library too, of all places.
    Im so sorry you had to endure this!! I physically wretched reading it
    The world has become a very very dark place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paulkonchesky)
    Maybe he's a paedo and your a desperate attention seeker?

Yours faithfully,
    Paul
    *you're.

he was the one seeking attention from me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    Im so sorry you had to endure this!! I physically wretched reading it
    The world has become a very very dark place
    Thank you, it has indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CordialBoogie)
    It would seem you have a problem with men in general, @sherlockfan. You say that you're unattractive, but I've often felt that men would have sex with anything with a vagina. I don't know if any other guy or girl has approached you in this way in a different setting and if so have you or would you find them pathetic and or creepy? Have you tried to understand why this guy or any other person would hit on you in the first place? Personally I don't think its desperate to seek out a companion even if it is purely sexual, it could turn into something more. Basically you could call me indifferent. If I cared to at all, I'd rather try to understand a person than judge them. If it were me in that situation I don't know what I'd think sometimes I'm up for meeting new people (making new friends) sometimes I'm not.
    I don't have a problem with men, men on here have big problems with women.
    I wasn't 'trying to understand' anything at the time, I was simply trying to read.

ReputationRep:
    Case in point of double standards from girls: hot guy comes and talks its completelyyy fineeeee he must be nice and sweet! ugly guy comes to talk and be friendly nooooo he must be a flipping pedo stalker rightttt?

Re-evaluate your life m8.

ReputationRep:
    No, its the fact that you feel the need to complain about your life and that this guy "harassed" its embarrassing when you know he only wanted a chat
    Imbeciles live on this site and its shocking to know that society is shaped by these idiotic sexists...

Wait, did you just assume my gender?! Absolutely disgusting...

Yours faithfully,
    Paul
    I posted about something odd that happened to me yesterday, just like thousands of other people do on here every day, you're the one blowing it out of proportion. Once again I never used the word harassed, you did. I never claimed he molested me or anything else, just that he creeped me out. And that offends you for some reason.

yours not so faithfully,

sherlockfan

**** off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azizadil1998)
    Case in point of double standards from girls: hot guy comes and talks its completelyyy fineeeee he must be nice and sweet! ugly guy comes to talk and be friendly nooooo he must be a flipping pedo stalker rightttt?

Re-evaluate your life m8.
    oh go and get that ship off your shoulder, it's pathetic.

I didn't want to be approached by anyone I just wanted to be left alone. Can you fathom that?

ReputationRep:
    I posted about something odd that happened to me yesterday, just like thousands of other people do on here every day, you're the one blowing it out of proportion. Once again I never used the word harassed, you did. I never claimed he molested me or anything else, just that he creeped me out. And that offends you for some reason.

yours not so faithfully,

sherlockfan

**** off.
    "creeped" suggests that he made you uncomfortable, i can guarantee that if it was a woman who spoke to you, you would've been delighted so grow up

You must've studied at Manchester Met because your understanding of society is remarkable

Yours faithfully,
    Paul

ReputationRep:
    Well, this escalated slowly.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like this thread has gone a little far
    Sure I agree that the guy just sounds outgoing and friendly and not creepy but jeez it seems like a lot of guys here are just jumping at the chance to b*tch about womankind and their double standards, which it doesn't seem OP even holds themselves. But yeah in general women will be more receptive to attractive guys. That's life. Humans are inherently flawed and inconsistent and we all judge by appearances to some extent, especially in a first encounter.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the thread was satire but then I realised she was being for real. He asked you about harry potter... In a library... May be annoying if you're busy, but some of the adjectives you used to describe it was harsh.

I feel like you just come off as socially awkward? Also.... Dear females, not every guy that makes conversation wants to **** you.

ReputationRep:
    "creeped" suggests that he made you uncomfortable, i can guarantee that if it wpart woman who spoke to you, you would've been deyou've saided so grow up

You must've studied at Manchester Met because your understanding of society is remarkable

yours faithfully,
    Paul
    Yes he made me uncomfortable, thats what IVe been saying from the beginning, nothing more nothing less. what part of wanting to be left alone don't you understand? If it was a woman I probably would have been annoyed but I wouldn't have thought they had an ulterior motive.
    I can't even understand your last sentence, Ive never been to Manchester met, I'm assuming its a university and students who go there might be offended by what youve said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    I feel like this thread has gone a little far
    Sure I agree that the guy just sounds outgoing and friendly and not creepy but jeez it seems like a lot of guys here are just jumping at the chance to b*tch about womankind and their double standards, which it doesn't seem OP even holds themselves. But yeah in general women will be more receptive to attractive guys. That's life. Humans are inherently flawed and inconsistent and we all judge by appearances to some extent, especially in a first encounter.
    Exactly, it seems like every other guy on here is blaming me for their own shortcomings with women. Not my fault they cant get laid.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, it seems like every other guy on here is blaming me for their own shortcomings with women. Not my fault they cant get laid.
    Keep thinking that if it helps you sleep better at night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nulliverse)
    Keep thinking that if it helps you sleep better at night.
    I will because I cant think of any other reason why they would make such foul bitter posts. Anyone reading these replies would think ive committed some act of supreme evil lol.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, it has indeed.
    the fact that you don't understand obvious sarcasm really makes it clear that you're autistic, like I said last night. the lack of empathy just reinforces this. the fact that you feel like you can report anybody for anything whilst you yourself aren't getting reported for your insulting language is just depressing. the mods must be feeling sorry for you I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    My issue with this is you said that Harry Potter and the Cursed Child was good...
    I found it so disappointing.

ReputationRep:
    If memory recalls, last year you made a thread saying you were short and fat. That is literally the worst combination ever. Don't flatter yourself. He was asking about the books only, and definitely not you.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't sound creepy at all. Nothing wrong with someone trying to make conversation! Just because a guy spoke to you doesn't mean he was trying to get in your pants.

ReputationRep:
    No need to be so rude.
    Says the person who called a man in the library 'dodgey, pathetic and creepy'..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.