The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Title sounds a bit whack because what I was trying to ask didn't fit. If a guy opens your messages (with reads) but usually doesn't reply til the next day or a few hours later, is he not that bothered?

Might be trying to think of a good/appropriate way to respond. Might be in the middle of doing something important when he gets the message etc.
Reply 2
Original post by an_atheist
Might be trying to think of a good/appropriate way to respond. Might be in the middle of doing something important when he gets the message etc.

Thanks for your reply. Get that but I just can't help but think if I should even bother talking to him anymore (do quite like him) cuz I don't want to enter in a one-sided relationship ... quite dramatic but yeah lol. If I like someone I usually read and reply in like 20 mins max...
Could be a lot of things:
Doesn't know what to say
Cba
Not interested
Busy
...etc
Reply 4
Sometimes I like to reply to texts properly when I wake up, if I'm tired I don't want to be sending silly things that would make me look like a fool.
Reply 5
I'm guessing it's not interested etc ... because the topic is never anything that requires much thought. Thanks for your reply :smile:
I'm guessing it's not interested etc ... because the topic is never anything that requires much thought. Thanks for your reply :smile:

Well it could be because the topic is boring/small talk? Personally, i take a while to reply to small talk -though yh I'm not a guy.
Reply 7
Original post by UWS
Sometimes I like to reply to texts properly when I wake up, if I'm tired I don't want to be sending silly things that would make me look like a fool.

Thanks for your reply. I have no idea because last week we were sending messages about music or something and it would be a day between each reply and after one of his replies I just patched it because I knew it was a stupid conversation. But then he popped up during the week asking what I was doing at the weekend, talked to me back and forth til about 1am on Wednesday night (kinda flirty) and then begins this day replying lag. So confusing
Reply 8
Yeah the topics are quite boring but whenever I try and inject some humour or anything into it he doesn't pick up on it. All the signals suggest he's not interested but I feel like he maybe is a bit. Meh dunno.
Reply 9
maybe he might be exhausted from texting.

Sometimes If texting the same person lots and lots I start to get lazy with replying quickly........

tbh, it's hard to say.

With girls though, there definitely seems to be a correlation with how interested they are and how promptly they text back.
Original post by ANM775
maybe he might be exhausted from texting.

Sometimes If texting the same person lots and lots I start to get lazy with replying quickly........

tbh, it's hard to say.

With girls though, there definitely seems to be a correlation with how interested they are and how promptly they text back.

I've not known him for long at all, in fact i've never met him. We met on Twitter and he lives in the same city as me. Whenever we text it's like one or two sentences at a time which have a day delayed response :s-smilie: I just don't want to embarrass myself by continuing to talk to him if he's not interested. Other guys reply within like 5 mins of opening messages so Idk how to gauge this
Thanks for your reply. Get that but I just can't help but think if I should even bother talking to him anymore (do quite like him) cuz I don't want to enter in a one-sided relationship ... quite dramatic but yeah lol. If I like someone I usually read and reply in like 20 mins max...

I take a while to respond to most texts, even longer if I like them in a romantic sense just because I'm trying to work out the 'best' way to respond.
I wouldn't place much stock in not responding immediately personally but if it annoys you that much then you should ask him about how he feels about you.
Only started talking to him last week as well
I take a while to respond to most texts, even longer if I like them in a romantic sense just because I'm trying to work out the 'best' way to respond.
I wouldn't place much stock in not responding immediately personally but if it annoys you that much then you should ask him about how he feels about you.

Thanks for your perspective ... I've only talked to him for a week so it would be a bit psycho to begin with those questions lol! I'll wait it out and see.....
Thanks for your perspective ... I've only talked to him for a week so it would be a bit psycho to begin with those questions lol! I'll wait it out and see.....

Was under the impression you'd been talking longer than that. Waiting is probably the best course of action then, as you say.
Was under the impression you'd been talking longer than that. Waiting is probably the best course of action then, as you say.

I've never been in a relationship before so I'm not super knowledgeable on this sort of stuff. How long would you chat to someone before asking how they feel do you think? If you were still unsure
Tbh i did this to someone I was talking to, I think i was just busy doing something else at the time and my attention got caught away... I realised I aired her for like 3 days looool.
If its a one off its okay, but if its a regular thing I'd say he's not interested

Posted from TSR Mobile
If someone is really interested, they dont take forever to reply. I remember when me and my boyfriend started talking we used to text all day till in the morning.. It was so unhealthy but we both just couldnt get enough of each other.

Sounds pretty dull on your side though. Folk who are interested shouldnt take a day or hours to respond.
Maybe he's:
- Busy
- Taking time to think of a good answer
- Not interested in pointless chit-chat (this is the main reason I ignore most of my friends' messages...)
- Just not into texting
- Not interested in you in that way
etc.

If you've only been chatting for a couple of weeks though and never met up, it's not surprising tbh - you've never met or hung out, how does he know if you're actually an interesting person IRL? That's not to suggest you meet up with him though...

How about you try and change your messages from idle chatter and ask him questions/ sound interested in his day/ send him articles you found interesting then chat about them, etc.? If you have something you are both interested in, talking about this hobby and sharing things you enjoy are a good way of keeping up a conversation. I always get annoyed when friends send pointless "hey, how are you?" type messages - they never lead into an interesting conversation and I don't really know how to reply. Instead, sound genuinely interested, for example by asking specific questions like "how was the concert last night" or "just saw this article on the news, I found it really interesting that ..., what do you think?" etc.
Reply 19
I only do this to girls when they have a dead convo or air me first, if a girl airs my message for 10 mins ill wanna wait a lil bit so it dosnt seem like im so clingy lol

Latest

Trending

Trending