The Student Room Group

To the people who don't want children..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Because when you live up a mountain, 40 minutes walk from the nearest small village, anything involving getting to/from a doctor is more effort than it is worth. :yawn:

You seriously live up a Mountain? :K:
Because few doctors are willing to perform sterilization procedures on people under 35. It's not worth the hassle when an IUD is almost as effective and doesn't require surgery.
i have done :tongue:
Because I can't be bothered to go through any sort of surgery like that.
Original post by medbh4805
Because few doctors are willing to perform sterilization procedures on people under 35. It's not worth the hassle when an IUD is almost as effective and doesn't require surgery.

This. Unless you've got health problems that would making being pregnant seriously dangerous for you or you have several children already doctors will refuse to sterilise you. It doesn't matter what you want to do with your body and life, they ALWAYS think they know better and that you'll want children. Even if you've never wanted kids and wanted to be sterilised for 10-15 years.
Because I'm a lesbian.

Even if I weren't, why have an invasive procedure rather than an IUD? (To anyone wondering whether to get an IUD, I have one to control my periods and it is the biz.)
Original post by medbh4805

So will u have one when you meet the criteria?
Original post by FlowerFaerie087
Because I'm a lesbian.

Even if I weren't, why have an invasive procedure rather than an IUD? (To anyone wondering whether to get an IUD, I have one to control my periods and it is the biz.)

Inserting an IUD is invasive too hun
Original post by Anonymous
That's just extreme. I would not ask someone why they don't kill themselves because there is no coming back from that. At least if u get sterilised there's a chance it can be reversed and if not, there's always adoption so you can still be a parent and btw not all depressed people are suicidal

Getting sterilised is not quite as extreme but it is a very big decision with very big consequences.

All I'm saying is that people should be aware that feelings are temporary. A percentage of people who get sterilised will deeply regret it. I know someone who got sterilised, spent their life savings on IVF and don't have a baby that they are desperate for. I'm sure he was positive he didn't want more kids when he got the snip.

Anyone getting sterilised should realise there is a risk that they will regret it. They may decide that is a risk they want to take. There is nothing wrong with that and may be they won't regret it but it needs to be factored into the decision. It's a robust judgement to decide this risk is too high. It is not a lack of faith in your own judgement.

It's like getting married. Nobody feels like they are going to get divorced when they get married but 40% do. Sensible people are aware of this risk rather than assuming they are something different and it doesn't apply to them.
To men:
Why don't you get a vasectomy?
Is it because you don't trust your own judgement and feel that you are likely to change your mind in the future?

I will when I can, but doctors are likely to refuse until I'm older.
So will u have one when you meet the criteria?

I'll cross that bridge when I come to it tbh
Reply 31
Because it's easier to just not bother having sex. Operations aren't much fun.
Jokes on you, I don't have sex.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ANM775
You seriously live up a Mountain? :K:

Yes. It wasn't much fun in the storm earlier, let me tell you. :no:
Original post by Spock's Socks
Why I haven't had 'my tubes tied' - I've asked about getting it done on NHS but they wont do it until I am at least 35 or 40. I would consider getting it done privately but its very expensive and at the moment, the pill I am on is protecting me well enough from pregnancy so there's no need. I have a pill failure in the past which resulted in an unwanted pregnancy but I haven't lost my faith in the pill, I just changed to a different one. The fear of changing my mind isn't what puts me off getting sterilised in the future, its purely about how much it costs to get it done privately. I've been pregnant and even that didn't change my view on wanting kids or not. Some people do change their minds on wanting kids in the future and that is understandable but some people do know from the start having kids is not for them and nothing can change that.

I have had the same issue. I'm 27 now and have been asking for a hysterectomy for 5+ years. Wach time I am refused on the grounds of being too young and childless. I actually tried to go to a private clinic who also said that I was "too young to take the risk". So for now I have the copper IUD which last for 10 years is hormone free and low cost.

Posted from TSR Mobile
because doctors don't allow to you have it done till you're about 30-35 incase you 'change your mind'
Original post by Sternumator
It is wise to leave your options open. People views alter and the change their mind. Everyone has changed their mind about things.

It's like asking a depressed person why they don't just kill themselves if they aren't happy. It is a permanent solution to a temporary feeling.

The last paragraph is an awful analogy.
To men:
Why don't you get a vasectomy?
To women:
Why don't you get your tubes tied or a hysterectomy?

Is it because you don't trust your own judgement and feel that you are likely to change your mind in the future?

All unnecessary surgery should be avoided...
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Because when you live up a mountain, 40 minutes walk from the nearest small village, anything involving getting to/from a doctor is more effort than it is worth. :yawn:

:lolwut: where do you live?
Original post by Lemons1990
The last paragraph is an awful analogy.

Here's another one:

For those in long term relationships, why don't you get your partners name tattooed on you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending