The Student Room Group

HELP! Flat mates hate me, move back home or put up with it??

Long story short, my flat mates have 'fallen out' with me all over what something was said when drunk a few weeks ago.

I have 3 options:
1) Stay in the flat and put up with the talking behind my back and dirty looks (so childish i know)
2) Move to another flat within the same halls
3) Move back home

Staying in the flat i am in now would be easier just so i dont have to move all my things etc but it will be awkward. Moving flats will also be awkward as these people have lived together since september. Moving home would mean having to take a 45 min bus journey 4 days a week, which is a pain and also costs money on top of rent i would still be paying as i presume i would be unable to get out of my tenancy agreement?

WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Reply 1
Stick it out. It is not long until the summer when you will probably move out anyway.
Original post by dxn1996
x

Grow up, apologise to them in person and buy them a box of chocolates and/or a bottle of alcohol. You'd usually have to give at least a month's notice to get out of your tenancy agreement, but student agreements are usually for 9-12 months so you'd more than likely be liable for all the remaining months depending on the contract you signed.
Original post by dxn1996
Long story short, my flat mates have 'fallen out' with me all over what something was said when drunk a few weeks ago.

I have 3 options:
1) Stay in the flat and put up with the talking behind my back and dirty looks (so childish i know)
3) Move back home

Staying in the flat i am in now would be easier just so i dont have to move all my things etc but it will be awkward. Moving flats will also be awkward as these people have lived together since september. Moving home would mean having to take a 45 min bus journey 4 days a week, which is a pain and also costs money on top of rent i would still be paying as i presume i would be unable to get out of my tenancy agreement?

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Hi, that doesn't sound like a nice situation to be in, I'm assuming you have tried to apologise to them about what was said.
If you are willing to put up with the awkwardness, then I suggest just use your flat as a place to eat and sleep, spend the rest of your time with other course mates or join a society as well as do all your uni work and essay prep in the library. From the sounds of it, you live close to Uni, so you could always go home at weekends.
If you can't put up with the awkwardness, then moving flats could be an option and maybe you should enquire about that.
Since it's managed to royally piss all of them off, I think it might be worth sharing what you actually said?

I would recommend apologising and just sticking it out, at the end of the day you were drunk, and they should grow up and put it in the past (Depending on what it is you actually said)

-AHappyTeddybear
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by AHappyTeddybear
Since it's managed to royally piss all of them off, I think it might be worth sharing what you actually said?

I would recommend apologising and just sticking it out, at the end of the day you were drunk, and they should grow up and put it in the past (Depending on what it is you actually said)

-AHappyTeddybear

Of course i have apologised, but they are having none of it.
Basically whats happened is a certain flat mate has constantly been stealing mine and another flat mates food. Although its only food, at the end of the day i really dont think it is fair when i do a food shop, come back and half of it has been taken. We are all poor students.

All that was said was which flat mate i thought it was (as it comes across as it is this person) and my other flat mate also shared this opinion. But then this flat 'mate' decided to tell everyone it was just me accusing this girl (never once accused i only gave an opinion???) and then said it was infact me stealing everyones food.

Just petty drama in my opinion?? Worse things have happened
Reply 6
Original post by XxSarah_123xX
Hi, that doesn't sound like a nice situation to be in, I'm assuming you have tried to apologise to them about what was said.
If you are willing to put up with the awkwardness, then I suggest just use your flat as a place to eat and sleep, spend the rest of your time with other course mates or join a society as well as do all your uni work and essay prep in the library. From the sounds of it, you live close to Uni, so you could always go home at weekends.
If you can't put up with the awkwardness, then moving flats could be an option and maybe you should enquire about that.

The first thing i done was apologised! Everyone says silly things when they are drunk and some of them have said way worse. The fact that this flatmate which i considered to be a really good friend who has now turned everyone against me is upsetting and pissed me off.
I would apologies to the person you accused that night and settle your differences with her.

I'd also talk to the other tenant you know is having food taken and plot a way to catch them out. Between you, figure out what types of food the thief seems to like the most. Buy some laxatives or some seriously hot hot sauce. Mix this into the bait food (Which you know the thief likes) and wait for it to go missing. Whichever tenant ends up on the S***er with liquid ass or has a freak out because their mouth is on fire is your devious food thief.
(You could always go the easier route of trying to hide a camera, but I think my way is more fun)

Personally I would suspect that the person stealing is the person who put the blame on you since it sounds like they saw an opportunity and took it.

-AHappyTeddybear
Original post by dxn1996

I have 3 options:
3) Move back home

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

How bad is what you said?
Moving to another flat same halls presupposes there is a spot available for you
Flat meeting and apology is probably the best choice. You might be able to get someone to take your room, but otherwise you it will cost you maybe £1-2k? v an apology? If its boys do it over a beer. Gauge if an apology would be acceptable from some of the more moderate flat residents.
I vote for the laxatives in your food suggestion.
Reply 10
Original post by 999tigger
How bad is what you said?
Moving to another flat same halls presupposes there is a spot available for you
Flat meeting and apology is probably the best choice. You might be able to get someone to take your room, but otherwise you it will cost you maybe £1-2k? v an apology? If its boys do it over a beer. Gauge if an apology would be acceptable from some of the more moderate flat residents.

I really dont think its bad what i said. Alls i said was that i think it could be this particular flat mate as food has gone missing when there has only been herself and me in the flat, so obviously it does look a little suspicious and coincidently its always before her boyfriend comes over and 2's of things go missing. And the fact my other flat mate saw her take something of hers and put it in her cupboard. That is literally all that was said.
Reply 11
Original post by AHappyTeddybear
I would apologies to the person you accused that night and settle your differences with her.

I'd also talk to the other tenant you know is having food taken and plot a way to catch them out. Between you, figure out what types of food the thief seems to like the most. Buy some laxatives or some seriously hot hot sauce. Mix this into the bait food (Which you know the thief likes) and wait for it to go missing. Whichever tenant ends up on the S***er with liquid ass or has a freak out because their mouth is on fire is your devious food thief.
(You could always go the easier route of trying to hide a camera, but I think my way is more fun)

Personally I would suspect that the person stealing is the person who put the blame on you since it sounds like they saw an opportunity and took it.

-AHappyTeddybear

An apology was made on the night to everyone that was there but since then she has blocked me off facebook and avoids me completely so its a little difficult to sit down and talk to her to sort things out.

I 100% will figure out a way to find out who it is
Original post by dxn1996
I really dont think its bad what i said. Alls i said was that i think it could be this particular flat mate as food has gone missing when there has only been herself and me in the flat, so obviously it does look a little suspicious and coincidently its always before her boyfriend comes over and 2's of things go missing. And the fact my other flat mate saw her take something of hers and put it in her cupboard. That is literally all that was said.

I think your error was saying it without being sue of the reaction. If thats all it was then I would stay. I would do peace broking and then just ignore them if they wont accept it because its their problem. I think it would blow over. You know the dynamic of the flat I dont but better to find the moderates or any flat leader and suggest you go to the pub or have a flat meeting with some beer and pizza or cake to sort things out. That is preferable than forcing yourself to leave which is financially serious.

After that get a lock for your cupboard or keep things in a box in your room.
Reply 13
I think your error was saying it without being sue of the reaction. If thats all it was then I would stay. I would do peace broking and then just ignore them if they wont accept it because its their problem. I think it would blow over. You know the dynamic of the flat I dont but better to find the moderates or any flat leader and suggest you go to the pub or have a flat meeting with some beer and pizza or cake to sort things out. That is preferable than forcing yourself to leave which is financially serious.

After that get a lock for your cupboard or keep things in a box in your room.

I do see how it could make the other person feel when others think it could potentially be them who is stealing, but it was also just an opinion between me and this other flatmate. We shouldn't have accused someone without first knowing 100% who it is but also i dont think this flatmate should have said anything and caused **** which has now just created drama over something minor.

I think its a good idea to have a flat meeting, but its whether or not they will agree to it!
Original post by dxn1996
I do see how it could make the other person feel when others think it could potentially be them who is stealing, but it was also just an opinion between me and this other flatmate. We shouldn't have accused someone without first knowing 100% who it is but also i dont think this flatmate should have said anything and caused **** which has now just created drama over something minor.

I think its a good idea to have a flat meeting, but its whether or not they will agree to it!

Are you male or female? Whats the mix of the flat? How many and gender?

If you get 2or 3 onboard then have the meeting even if the others wont attend.

You can post an apology on the fridge or leave it in the communal area. Alternatively You can write each one a note. the point is make an effort that the moderates will recognise you are making an attempt to apologise. thats as much as you cam do plus beer or chocolate or cake etc (dont be stingy) from then on in your own mind move on.
Reply 15
Are you male or female? Whats the mix of the flat? How many and gender?

If you get 2or 3 onboard then have the meeting even if the others wont attend.

You can post an apology on the fridge or leave it in the communal area. Alternatively You can write each one a note. the point is make an effort that the moderates will recognise you are making an attempt to apologise. thats as much as you cam do plus beer or chocolate or cake etc (dont be stingy) from then on in your own mind move on.

I am female and live with 4 other females.

I appreciate your advice/suggestions and will definintely be trying them. I just hope this all gets resolved as we all got on really well prior to this incident.
Original post by dxn1996
An apology was made on the night to everyone that was there but since then she has blocked me off facebook and avoids me completely so its a little difficult to sit down and talk to her to sort things out.

I 100% will figure out a way to find out who it is

TBH you're flat mates are being immature and need to grow up, I can understand her being hostile and avoiding you if she wasn't the one stealing food. I think you should try and arrange for everyone to sit down so you can make another apology and to try and to discuss the issue with food being stolen like adults.

Spoiler

-AHappyTeddybear
Original post by dxn1996
I am female and live with 4 other females.

I appreciate your advice/suggestions and will definintely be trying them. I just hope this all gets resolved as we all got on really well prior to this incident.

You have to manage your apology correctly, not over the top with the correct level of contrition. Acknowledge your wrongdoing and the awkward way its affected the flat. If two of them say ok and see you are making an effort, then that should be enough and tbh if you know in your own mind you apologised, then build a thick skin and keep it at that. Its just important to get the message across, then your part is done. they accept or they do not. On what you say its just one of those things. hopefully they will respect you for making the effort.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending