The Student Room Group

Mature student self-teaching 3 A-levels [My journey]

Brief description:

Hello guys, I'm 20 and I've recently gone part-time at my job, working less than 20 hours a week in order to further progress my studies. In summer 2018 I'll be sitting full A-level Maths and A-level Further Maths as well as AS Economics. To the majority, this will seem like I'm being too ambitious or appear as an 'unrealistic goal'. Well, you can think that, either way I'm going through with it because I know it's definitely doable. I wouldn't put so much at stake for something I was sure to be a waste of time.
I've been studying C1 (an A-level Maths module/exam), for roughly 3 weeks now and when I started it really put my knowledge of Maths into perspective, I was working at I'd say a C/B GCSE grade. This is understandable seeing as I hadn't done any maths for 4+ years. I've covered pretty much all topics in C1 and I'm just perfecting my understanding on the rough areas.

For those of you interested in the modules I'll be taking for maths they're as follows: C1-C4, S1-S4, D1,M1,Fp1,Fp2
These are what I've come to conclusion of as the 'easiest' of the modules.

In total I'll be sitting 13 exams next year. (it's going to cost a bomb).
I've got a structure/guideline, it is as follows:

Structure was written on: 16/03/2017 and all outlined dates correspond to this.
(The days are reference to the time dedicated to studying specific module(s) and not a count-down).

- By the end of march: Better my understanding of C1, do several past papers - (15 days)

- By the end of April: Cover all topics in C2 and FP1 with a sound understanding.
(30 days)

- By the end of June: Cover all topics in C3, C4 and D1 with a some-what decent understanding.
(61 days)

- By the end of September: Cover all topics in Fp2 and S1 with a sound understanding. Also review everything learnt up till now through notes/past-papers etc...
(92 days)

- By the end of December: Cover all topics in S2, S3, S4 and M1 with a sound understanding.
(92 days)

So that's all the maths modules/exams I'll be doing, hopefully covered by the end of this year. Obviously as I cover a module/move onto the following module I'll be constantly reviewing the previous topics as I go to keep everything fresh.

Alongside my maths, I'll fit Economics study sessions in here and there, however the main focus is Maths for now.

In terms of resources, I'm using many of the resources outlined in my thread I made to help others who are self-teaching A-level Maths: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4599158
I'm also using a number of books and other websites such as Youtube and TSR.

So, I just thought I'd post this as It'll be interesting to look back in the future and see how far I've come with it all. Also, if anyone else is interested you can follow me along this journey.

Other than that thanks for reading and I'll keep you updated :smile:
Peace
Reply 1

*Reserved for updates*
Good luck, if you have natural ability in maths, you are half way there. I would have selected Physics as a 3rd A Level though. Economics is pretty dull.
Reply 3
Original post by nicolas1
Good luck, if you have natural ability in maths, you are half way there. I would have selected Physics as a 3rd A Level though. Economics is pretty dull.

Haha yeah maybe. I find it quite interesting, thanks for the support :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending