The Student Room Group

Can i afford a car at Uni?

Hiya!

In September i'll be starting my 1st year. I will be living at home and travelling to uni on the train every weekday (20 minutes each way) for study. Is it worth having a car and would i be able to afford it?
Reply 1
Original post by CharlieAmes
Hiya!

In September i'll be starting my 1st year. I will be living at home and travelling to uni on the train every weekday (20 minutes each way) for study. Is it worth having a car and would i be able to afford it?

Have you already got a car? because if not you'd have to pay for its insurance and the actual car etc...
But, unless you're getting some type of loan and you have a part-time job at uni then i'm not too sure.
Reply 2
I dont have a car, no. Im learning to drive at the moment but i cant see me taking too much longer before going for my test. Ideally i would like to find a part time job, its just what as i would need the flexibility around my study...

Is it worth car sharing with my other half do you think?
Reply 3
I dont have a car, no. Im learning to drive at the moment but i cant see me taking too much longer before going for my test. Ideally i would like to find a part time job, its just what as i would need the flexibility around my study...

Is it worth car sharing with my other half do you think?

I'd car share at first and once you've got the job and found out your timetable you're better off getting your own one
Reply 4
Thank you! :smile:
I've got my car at uni but I use it for work and the uni pay my mileage when I work for them,
I had to pay a bit more for my insurance as it's being kept away from home
Depending on how much loan you get and part time job will depend on how affordable it is, I worked all summer to buy the car, tax and insurance up front...
You also have to take in account how much you'll be spending on fuel, insurance, ect...
Hiya!

It's not just cost you need to think about but parking. Many unis discourage students from driving and some don't offer parking to students on campus unless they have a disability.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending