The Student Room Group

Stuck about uni

I have a deferred place at a uni for this September. I was originally going to go in September 2016 but around May 2016, I realised I needed a year out to think. However I just don't know about uni. When I applied in 2015, I had no idea what I was doing with my life and just applied because everyone else was, to some random course at 5 random unis. I have since changed the course, but I'm still not sure.

I love the idea of the social side of uni, and living independently. But I just don't know if I will manage the studying. Also I have gotten very used to having money - I see jokes all the time about how poor you get at uni and it just seems depressing. But I just feel as though I have no option but to go to uni; I have no dream career so I feel as though having a degree will open doors.

Staying here seems even scarier - I feel like I'll just be working horrible retail jobs and living with my parents for the rest of my life.

Lately I've felt the real urge to ditch everything and travel. But I'm soooo unsure what I want to do in life, it's ridiculous. What I do know, and am passionate about, is the idea of having children. I feel as though I could give uni a go, knowing I have the option of dropping out. Can one be successful at uni if they're not passionate about it really?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I have a deferred place at a uni for this September. I was originally going to go in September 2016 but around May 2016, I realised I needed a year out to think. However I just don't know about uni. When I applied in 2015, I had no idea what I was doing with my life and just applied because everyone else was, to some random course at 5 random unis. I have since changed the course, but I'm still not sure.

I love the idea of the social side of uni, and living independently. But I just don't know if I will manage the studying. Also I have gotten very used to having money - I see jokes all the time about how poor you get at uni and it just seems depressing. But I just feel as though I have no option but to go to uni; I have no dream career so I feel as though having a degree will open doors.

Staying here seems even scarier - I feel like I'll just be working horrible retail jobs and living with my parents for the rest of my life.

Lately I've felt the real urge to ditch everything and travel. But I'm soooo unsure what I want to do in life, it's ridiculous. What I do know, and am passionate about, is the idea of having children. I feel as though I could give uni a go, knowing I have the option of dropping out. Can one be successful at uni if they're not passionate about it really?
Also, forgot to add that I used to be really academic and good with studying at GCSE, but it all went wrong at A Level for some reason
How about working in a place where you can surround yourself with children? Like nursery or primary school? Many nurseries need volunteers just to survive, and you can write about voluntary experience on your CV
Reply 3
Original post by shawn_o1
How about working in a place where you can surround yourself with children? Like nursery or primary school? Many nurseries need volunteers just to survive, and you can write about voluntary experience on your CV

This is what I may reconsider actually. It could be a better path
If you like children then do what the above said, you may have passion for this.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous

What is it that you are planning on studying at university? Did you just pick a random course without looking into it? There is a website called My World Of Work - http://myworldofwork.co.uk. If you sign up and complete the quizzes, then the website will recommend some jobs to you that it feels suits your interests. Additionally, if you sort of have a clue what you want to do, you can look for specific jobs - then it'll tell you what qualifications you need, what the work environment will be like, what you'll actually be doing as part of that job.

There is no need to rush the process of going to university - don't feel you have to hop onto the University bandwagon right away to get a good job. Have you tried looking into different apprenticeships? There's an apprenticeship for all sorts of things, and it'll give you experience, some money, and an extra qualification. For example, I done an apprenticeship in Creative and Digital Media - so I was filming and editing, using Photoshop, running social media campaigns, updating websites etc. Some people can go straight from an apprenticeship into a good job as well, so they're definitely worth checking out.

If you haven't properly researched the course or the universities then I would definitely recommend withdrawing. You want to make sure you're going to be doing a course you're actually interested in and at a university you would properly enjoy. If you know that it is definitely the course you want to be doing, then spend the time researching the universities you've applied for, and seeing if any of them is somewhere you would enjoy being. There's no point getting yourself in debt doing a course you don't enjoy, at a university you don't like.

Yes, technically speaking you can go to University and not be fully passionate. But, why would you want to? Think of the toll it'd have on your mental health to be studying and working hard on something you hate. Even if you drop out, you can still rack up a hefty debt. There are so many course options, that there's bound to be something you'd like. Pick say 2 - 3 universities at random, go through their Undergraduate course options, and click on any courses they offer that sound interesting. Look at the modules they offer - are they interesting? Would you enjoy studying them? What about the career prospects? etc

If you're really only interested in going to University because it'll be a 'laugh' to be drinking on a regular, then again, it's not worth it. Away from the partying, you still have to do work in order to stop yourself getting kicked out - which again, can be an issue if you hate the course and university. Not all universities are party central either, and I know a lot of people who picked university for the partying and are really stressed out because they didn't really research the course or the university and now realise they hate it. You can always find friends to go out partying, and travelling, and drinking etc away from University. While I was doing my apprenticeship I made friends with a group of people and we went on multiple holidays during the year, and went out drinking on a semi-regular basis.

If you have money saved up, get a loan/grant etc, and budget it appropriately then you should be fine with money. Yes, unfortunately a lot of people do struggle through University with very little money. However, there's numerous reasons for that - e.g. they can't get the max loan, but they're not getting money in elsewhere, or they budget poorly, or they don't work alongside their studies. If you have money saved up, have a loan etc and know how to budget then you should be alright. You can always get a part time job alongside your studies.

In regards to studying, it is going to be a big leap. You may find yourself struggling, but that doesn't necessarily mean you aren't clever. It will take some time to adjust to that level of studying, you'll need to manage your time and put the work in. If you leave everything to the last minute, then it'll be stressful. However, if you engage with your lectures/seminars/whatever, ask for help when necessary, and set time aside regularly for revision then you may find it will be less challenging than you anticipated. Universities know that this is a big issue for students, and there are support systems in place, so you can always make use of those.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending