The Student Room Group

My father is a traditional ******* believing women dont need education

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by LadyLoony
My goodness this is sickening. Do NOT let your parents win. I come from a South Asian background and my parents are not like this, however, I also understand that sometimes you cannot "talk" to your parents or "talk them out" of things.

Here's a link which gives you numbers to call and advice if you're in trouble: https://www.gov.uk/stop-forced-marriage

Call that in secrecy; tell them your situation and hopefully they can help you out. In an absolute emergency, call the police. I heard a trick from a forced marriage documentary, which can help if you're forced to go abroad: put a spoon in your underwear.

I hope this helps, and best of luck :frown: I know they're your parents, but please do not let them guilt trip you. That's a standard trick a lot of Asian parents use, because Asians tend to value family more - it works. They would not force you to do this if they loved you and cared about you. This is all about "family honour" and sexism. PM if you need anymore help :hugs:

Thank you so much. Honestly i was in contact with childline, they approached me and it turned out worse, my parents hated me more. I still got engaged after but I'll just have a year till im 18 and i will try and support myself really. Thank you for caring x
Original post by crizzpy
Well, I am in a lot of mess and i really need advice. I have been dragged into a marriage that is well...forced. I am yet to be married as they have only got me engaged to the prick from back home (who is a desperate dickhead with no sort of ambitions or plan for future qualifications). My dream at first was from a child to become a dentist as my father is a doctor however, he had shattered my dreams by trying to make me comply to traditions of Asians. My mother has less extreme views but has been brainwashed by my father into believing that women need men and are forever dependant on them. I have lost all faith in my religion, although it is a big crime to them, yes, but being born into a religion without having faith ultimately means nothing. Anyways, as i tried to get through my GCSE's i kind of gave up as my so called mother would abuse me, physically and emotionally. After my GCSE's had ended (i had done alright although i had potential to do better) I got into college and currently just, finished my first year. In October, 2016, the engagement happened, despite me telling my mum that i'll never forgive her or never will be happy if she forces me into this. She'd go on about how his family is nice and blah blah. But im not a fan of incest unfortunately. So, the time of applying to universities will come near, and on many occasions i have planned on leaving home. I am certain and have started saving up, but the problem is applying for university. My friend has given me her address from which i can apply, but i have to keep this away from my parents as i now have ambitions of being a lawyer, and i really need to do something with my life. I dont want to be trapped here forever, being a housewife and popping out kids. The thing is, i dont know if i'll be able to pass my Alevels at this rate as I'm going crazy. I dont know whether to apply for a university in the place i am and tell my parents that ill just be applying for the local one or to keep it a secret and really escape. If any of you are going through the same, I'll gladly listen, always here. Thanks for reading this guys.

Call the police/social services.

Do you have any friends you can stay with?
Original post by jfwekfnwe
If you want to keep a relation with your parents, you need to do what they tell you. If you want to break the relation, do what you want to do.

It comes down to financial independence, money talks in this world. If you have money, you can do whatever the hell you want to do. So I do suggest you start saving and investing money, so you can be financial independent and not a hostage to the will of other people.

This is such nonsense.You are NOT helping the OP!
Original post by Meme-chan2
I disagree. I'm not going to agree to an arranged marriage just because I live in my parents' house. That would be silly. I also wouldn't agree to steal just because I was 'told to do so' - that would also be silly. Some people really cannot afford a house. I know that I won't be able to afford one until I finish university.

Then your parents can kick you out, if they are twisted enough. When you are over 18, your parents are not obliged to look after you. Heck, even if your under 18 they can kick you out and you would be placed under social care.

OP will be over 18 soon and doesn't want to do what the bill payer and owners of the house want to do, so she is in a position where she must leave.
Reply 24
Then she can leave. She is not a paying guest.

If she is under 18, she will go under child services. Over 18, she will see the big bad world outside.

I will be facing 'the big bad world outside' regardless. Everyone will at some point, there's no avoiding it.
Reply 25
If you want to keep a relation with your parents, you need to do what they tell you. If you want to break the relation, do what you want to do.

It comes down to financial independence, money talks in this world. If you have money, you can do whatever the hell you want to do. So I do suggest you start saving and investing money, so you can be financial independent and not a hostage to the will of other people.

I do plan on doing so.Thanks
Original post by Meme-chan2
This is such nonsense.You are NOT helping the OP!

Look what OP wrote.....

Thank you so much. Honestly i was in contact with childline, they approached me and it turned out worse, my parents hated me more. I still got engaged after but I'll just have a year till im 18 and i will try and support myself really. Thank you for caring x

What does that tell you? If you go against the people who are housing you, they will turn on you. Either get financial independence and leave or suck it up. No other option. I've helped OP more than you have FYI.
Reply 27
Original post by Spheniscidae2039
Call the police/social services.

Do you have any friends you can stay with?

I do have a friend that i can stay with however i plan on staying at home until i finish my Alevels as it will mess up everything if i just leave. Thanks.
Honestly if i were you i would firstly start by making them sit down and seriously telling them about your life plans and how you will not be accepting a forced marriage etc make them listen if they start talking over you and spewing **** just leave the room and go and call childline/police do not retaliate. Also apply to university no matter the circumstances they have no right to stop you as it is your name on the application they cannot call up UCAS and withdraw the application if it gets real bad hide your personal ID.

Don't be scared they are your parents they should accept your choice and not whats best for them and their stupid family honour.
Then she can leave. She is not a paying guest.

If she is under 18, she will go under child services. Over 18, she will see the big bad world outside.

The world is not big and bad.
What her father is doing is s criminal offence
Original post by crizzpy

Please don't let one bad experience put you off. There's the women's aid that can perhaps help you. There are many charities and social services you can call for help if you need it, and when you do approach, ask them to visit you outside your home.

You can also get a forged marriage protection order, here's the link: https://www.gov.uk/apply-forced-marriage-protection-order/overview

Are your parents forcing you to get married abroad?
Reply 31
Original post by TheIncredibleZ
Honestly if i were you i would firstly start by making them sit down and seriously telling them about your life plans and how you will not be accepting a forced marriage etc make them listen if they start talking over you and spewing **** just leave the room and go and call childline/police do not retaliate. Also apply to university no matter the circumstances they have no right to stop you as it is your name on the application they cannot call up UCAS and withdraw the application if it gets real bad hide your personal ID.

Don't be scared they are your parents they should accept your choice and not whats best for them and their stupid family honour.

Im sick and tired of explaining. There is nothing i can do anymore. Now im just scared as to how far my father will go to prevent me from escaping the marriage if i tell him im unhappy. They can SEE that im unhappy, i dont eat, talk, i barely know how to laugh anymore. I dont want to contact anyone because itll make things worse, it did and it will again. And yes you are right, Thanks for your response. x
Original post by Sammylou40
The world is not big and bad.
What her father is doing is s criminal offence

Yes, the world is big and bad. Everyone has an agenda and only keep relations with people when it helps them.

It's not a criminal offence if he shows her the door. At this rate, she will be shown the door. You either suck up or get out, there are no other options.
Reply 33
Original post by LadyLoony
Please don't let one bad experience put you off. There's the women's aid that can perhaps help you. There are many charities and social services you can call for help if you need it, and when you do approach, ask them to visit you outside your home.

You can also get a forged marriage protection order, here's the link: https://www.gov.uk/apply-forced-marriage-protection-order/overview

Are your parents forcing you to get married abroad?

Yes they are, but not now. In 4 or 5 years which means i have time.
Original post by crizzpy
I do have a friend that i can stay with however i plan on staying at home until i finish my Alevels as it will mess up everything if i just leave. Thanks.

Why would it mess up your A levels? Do they live too far from your school?

I think it would be best to explain your situation to as many trustworthy people as possible so that they can keep an eye on you. Could you talk to your teachers? It would be worth contacting the police/social services just to make them aware of your situation in case anything goes wrong. Ask them to keep it a secret.
Yes, the world is big and bad. Everyone has an agenda and only keep relations with people when it helps them.

It's not a criminal offence if he shows her the door. At this rate, she will be shown the door. You either suck up or get out, there are no other options.

Forcing her into marriage is
She'd be a damn sight better leaving anyway than living with that nightmare!
You seriously suggest that the "price to pay" for living at home is to end your education and be forced into a marriage you don't want?
We don't live in some hellish backwater here
That makes for a lousy, selfish, abusive misogynistic father. If that's your attitude, please don't have kids
They're not your possessions to control at your whim
And if you think it's ok you're no better than the father.
Grow up
I don't know why people are saying contact social services, social services have no regard whatsoever for relationships. Their job is to keep you safe and put a roof over your head, they will most likely pull her out straight away and that is it, the relationship with her parents and other family members finished.

OP needs to decide what is more important, the relationship with her family or her career.
Reply 37
Original post by Spheniscidae2039
Why would it mess up your A levels? Do they live too far from your school?

I think it would be best to explain your situation to as many trustworthy people as possible so that they can keep an eye on you. Could you talk to your teachers? It would be worth contacting the police/social services just to make them aware of your situation in case anything goes wrong. Ask them to keep it a secret.

I dont know who to trust anymore. I have my friends to keep an eye on me yes, thanks.
I don't know why people are saying contact social services, social services have no regard whatsoever for relationships. Their job is to keep you safe and put a roof over your head, they will most likely pull her out straight away and that is it, the relationship with her parents and other family members finished.

OP needs to decide what is more important, the relationship with her family or her career.

Are you for real?
She is in AN ABUSIVE SITUATION
We take that seriously here.
Being forced into marriage is a crime. She doesn't want it
Of course the police and social services can help her
She needs help to stop it happening
What is wrong with you?
Reply 39

It's not really my career only we're talking about here. Being forced into a marriage and living with someone you aren't interested in or love is the issue. The fact that you think it's okay, then it sort of pinpoints you supporting rape as force marriage ultimately leads to rape and other forms of abuse. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending