The Student Room Group

International Students, How Was Your Experience? Crying tears of blood here.

How was your experience when you applied outside of your country?I have to apply this coming Spring next year in 2018 and I am so stressed out.After I turn in applications and either get accepted or rejected, I have to figure out my living accommodation situation, expenses, get the visa, and blah blah blah. Gah. This coming college semester hasn't even begun yet and I am already waiting for it to be over. I am going to be pulling numerous all nighters to practice for the SATs lol.

How was your entire process like? Was it worth it in the end? Are you/ Did you enjoy?

The application process is so stressful everyone. I want to transfer to a university in Seoul, South Korea next summer and much work is required before I even begin. I have to complete my associates degree, manage to earn up to 18 Honor Society credits, and prepare to take the SAT before March next year all while I work and, manage to get good grades to make sure I GET ACCEPTED LOL.

This is so stressful. How did you guys deal with the stress?

(Crying tears of blood here).
Original post by nyaxoxo
How was your experience when you applied outside of your country?I have to apply this coming Spring next year in 2018 and I am so stressed out.After I turn in applications and either get accepted or rejected, I have to figure out my living accommodation situation, expenses, get the visa, and blah blah blah. Gah. This coming college semester hasn't even begun yet and I am already waiting for it to be over. I am going to be pulling numerous all nighters to practice for the SATs lol.

How was your entire process like? Was it worth it in the end? Are you/ Did you enjoy?

The application process is so stressful everyone. I want to transfer to a university in Seoul, South Korea next summer and much work is required before I even begin. I have to complete my associates degree, manage to earn up to 18 Honor Society credits, and prepare to take the SAT before March next year all while I work and, manage to get good grades to make sure I GET ACCEPTED LOL.

This is so stressful. How did you guys deal with the stress?

(Crying tears of blood here).

Most international students I knew at uni didn't do more than one pre-uni qualification simultaneously.

Some did their own country's qualification then had to do a foundation year in a UK uni before progressing unto their undergrad degree. Non-EU pre-uni qualifications aren't generally accepted for UK undergrad degrees.

The majority did British A-levels in a British international school in their home country or obtained the international baccalaureate in an independent school. Doing that INSTEAD of their home qualifications obviously writes off lots of routes with the unis in their home country, so I'd only advise that if you're 100% positive you want to study in a UK (or another Anglo-Saxon) country.

Also, many unis have an option for international students to directly apply to them (not through UCAS) meaning you don't have the regular 5 unis applications, and can apply to as many as you can.

EDIT: Just realised you're speaking about already being at a uni in Seoul? Are you a pre-uni or a uni student? Are you coming to the UK for an under-grad or a post-grad degree?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by candyaljamila
Most international students I knew at uni didn't do more than one pre-uni qualification simultaneously.

Some did their own country's qualification then had to do a foundation year in a UK uni before progressing unto their undergrad degree. Non-EU pre-uni qualifications aren't generally accepted for UK undergrad degrees.

The majority did British A-levels in a British international school in their home country or obtained the international baccalaureate in an independent school. Doing that INSTEAD of their home qualifications obviously writes off lots of routes with the unis in their home country, so I'd only advise that if you're 100% positive you want to study in a UK (or another Anglo-Saxon) country.

Also, many unis have an option for international students to directly apply to them (not through UCAS) meaning you don't have the regular 5 unis applications, and can apply to as many as you can.

EDIT: Just realised you're speaking about already being at a uni in Seoul? Are you a pre-uni or a uni student? Are you coming to the UK for an under-grad or a post-grad degree?

lol yea, I am not going to UK anytime soon until maybe post-grad :biggrin: And I am not a student at Seoul yet, currently I am in a college at New York haha. I want to learn languages; I currently speak 5 and learning 2 more - Japanese and Hangul (South Korean).

Right now,I am in a college for two years but after I get my associates, I will still need to go to a uni for four years. This is because I am taking Journalism currently but I want to take both Journalism and Literature. That requires a double major, so I will need to go for four years for Literature since I haven't taken it at all yet (my college didn't offer that). Yonsei University in S. Korea offers literature for media (basically at the end, I can criticize movies, etc. and work for fields in the film world or the media world). It really goes hand in hand with my Journalism degree as well although Journalism is kind of a backup (unless I decide I want to work at a magazine).

My goal is to work in movies and dramas all over the world in different languages (that's why I want to take languages, literature) and Journalism is a backup but it goes well with Literature in the media field. Also, I chose Seoul because I am interested in the language and the culture since I myself grew up in different places with various different people. It' s exciting! And besides, Seoul is the best place to practice both Hangul (their language) and Japanese (their second language usually).

I was, however, just asking this question to learn more about other people's experiences going to an international university in this thread since I have never been to one. I wanted to know if anyone in the UK or anyone outside had been to a university in some other country other than their homeland and how their experience was since it's going to be my first time....if (hopefully), I get accepted into Yonsei university or one of the SKY Universities of Seoul (Seoul National Uni, Korea University, and Yonsei university are known as SKY universities of Korea because they are prestigious schools with acceptance rates super low - below 15%). :biggrin:
But yea, thanks so much for the information about UK students since I don't know their system at all. It's actually really helpful for me in the future if I consider applying there, if I decide to only spend two years in Seoul (I will probably go for the full experience though - 4 years haha) and go to UK for two semesters.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending