The Student Room Group

Theory test in 5 days, how to not fail?

As the title says, I've got my theory test in 5 days.
Haven't done any revision apart from a Hazard Perception online test I just took which I failed (41/75, 44 was the pass mark and I got 0 for two levels because apparently I was answering the test in an unacceptable manner :colonhash:)

What advice do y'all have for me? How do I even revise like what do I need to know? Thanks y'all :smile:

Scroll to see replies

get the app and practice practice practice
Original post by z33
Haven't done any revision apart from a Hazard Perception online test I just took which I failed (41/75, 44 was the pass mark and I got 0 for two levels because apparently I was answering the test in an unacceptable manner :colonhash:)

What advice do y'all have for me? How do I even revise like what do I need to know? Thanks y'all :smile:

You want to revise the highway code basically, i failed the hazard perception three times (being dyspraxic makes for awful reaction times) eventually i pass by clicking no more than twice once you see the hazard, more than that and they might give you a zero for clicking too much.
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
You want to revise the highway code basically, i failed the hazard perception three times (being dyspraxic makes for awful reaction times) eventually i pass by clicking no more than twice once you see the hazard, more than that and they might give you a zero for clicking too much.

Most of the highway code looks fairly obvious and like common sense so hopefully that'll be fine.
No more than twice, got it! Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by matthughes_99
get the app and practice practice practice

I paid £2.99 for the test kit version, best be worth it :lol:
Original post by z33

play videogames where you have to press buttons in time to prep for hazard + make sure you dont doubleclick (learnt that the hard way). Also be aware for hazard percep that milliseconds can be the difference between full and 0 marks.
Original post by z33
Most of the highway code looks fairly obvious and like common sense so hopefully that'll be fine.
No more than twice, got it! Thanks :biggrin:

Yeah I always got near full marks on the multiple choice. Best of luck :smile:
Original post by z33

I bought a highway code book from WHSmith for about £2. Revised each section slowly (possibly a bit sad, haha) And then bought the apps on the apple appstore for £4.99. Practised hazard perception loads.
With multiple choice, some are common sense and some are figures or facts you just need to know. E.g When your visibility is reduced by __ metres you turn on your fog lights.
So learn eveything you NEED to know and you should be fine! I got 46 on mutliple choice and mid 60s for hazard perception. I clicked a few times when I saw the hazard, and also if I spotted it before I'd click a few times before, trying to get the 5 points. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by z33
I paid £2.99 for the test kit version, best be worth it :lol:

Lmao, I bought the official DVSA app bundle for £10. Feel so stupid for buying it though since I didn't really use at and winged it yet I still passed the first time.
Reply 9
Original post by z33

This is my advice:

Honestly don't worry too much about it because it's not as hard as you think it will be. The multiple choice section will be the easiest because most of the questions will be repeated once you revise it, you'll know most of the questions. However, some of the questions will be new that won't know much about. Once you do cross paths with these question, flag them and come back to them and give it your best shot. Go with your gut on the new unseen questions.

For hazard and perception, the key is to click it whenever you think a hazard is approaching. As in before the hazard happens, click then where in real you'd have enough time to react to the situation. I was so nervous for HP because I didn't revise it as much as I could have. You may see some videos that you have done before but most of it will be unseen and the videos will be like a computer game simulation. There is a bundle of apps (4) for £5 which is very worth it considering how many videos they give for HP. It's from the company called "Focus Multimedia", 4 apps for £5. Just do as much as you can and don't be nervous. :smile:

Good luck and tell me how you get along. :smile:
By getting the minimum to pass...
Sorry just had to..

Anway just practice. My friend passed his theory with no practice or even looking at anything to do with it, he just went and near enough got full marks. Most of it is common sense.
Reply 11
Original post by S2M
This is my advice:

Honestly don't worry too much about it because it's not as hard as you think it will be. The multiple choice section will be the easiest because most of the questions will be repeated once you revise it, you'll know most of the questions. However, some of the questions will be new that won't know much about. Once you do cross paths with these question, flag them and come back to them and give it your best shot. Go with your gut on the new unseen questions.

For hazard and perception, the key is to click it whenever you think a hazard is approaching. As in before the hazard happens, click then where in real you'd have enough time to react to the situation. I was so nervous for HP because I didn't revise it as much as I could have. You may see some videos that you have done before but most of it will be unseen and the videos will be like a computer game simulation. There is a bundle of apps (4) for £5 which is very worth it considering how many videos they give for HP. It's from the company called "Focus Multimedia", 4 apps for £5. Just do as much as you can and don't be nervous. :smile:

Good luck and tell me how you get along. :smile:

Thanks I'll buy that bundle for a fiver, reviews look really good. I'll try to just do as many mock tests as I can and hope the same questions come up.

Thanks I will do!
Reply 12
Original post by z33
Thanks I'll buy that bundle for a fiver, reviews look really good. I'll try to just do as many mock tests as I can and hope the same questions come up.

Thanks I will do!

That's good, honestly that app is definitely worth the money. :smile: Don't worry about that, most of the questions will be the ones that you done. On my turn, 42 of them I had done and 8 were unseen which gave a better chance to fail that part because 43 was for a pass. Yeah, for both parts just carry on doing mock tests and you'll definitely pass. :smile:

You have more than enough time to do it as well. I only started to revise a day before the actual test.
:s:
Original post by z33

You'll pass easily in five days. I revised for a week and it felt like I overdone it, because I smashed the test in like 30 minutes with 49/50 for theory and 70/75 for hazard perception.

There's three things I'll recommend, which were all I used:

Theory test app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.focusmm.dts_theory&hl=en (complete all sections to 100%)

Hazard perception app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.focusmm.dts_hazard_free&hl=en (aim to get 4/5 for all clips)

And practice all the mock theories, ranging from easy to hard on this website:http://toptests.co.uk/ (aim to get like at least 45/50 in every mock test)

Good luck!
(edited 6 years ago)
This wesbite really helped me!
http://toptests.co.uk/
It is full of practise theory tests - just go over them again and again and read the highway code, you should be fine :smile: Good luck
Reply 15
No idea; I just winged it and did a practice test before my actual text. It's all common sense.
Original post by z33

hey I passed just by revsing a few days before the exams btw - thats just me I guess
i just used the app and kept revising from that and doing questions
I also passed on my second attempt I was just one mark of the first theory bit out of 50 and passed the second hazard perception in my first attempt

just revise the theory and also the hazard awareness just keep you eyes focus on everywherwe and click appropriately as soon as you see it click it
stay calm and revise
How did you guys remember & learn the traffic & road signs? I think that's what I struggle the most.
(edited 6 years ago)
Didn't revise, passed the Hazard perception part quite well but failed the questions just because I didn't revise enough. Get the highway code book and do lots of practice tests online
I've literally just got out the test centre centre saw this on the bus home...

I passed!

Having done a number of mock tests and hazard perception clips for a couple of minutes in the last day or two I can say five days is enough.

But plan your revision and be disciplined.

I may have got 45/50 (done quite good on the HP) but I'm concious that had I been just two off I'd have hit the pass mark, one more off that could have been a fail.

Try and know your basic principles of driving and your Highway Code thoroughly. Understand the why behind it and not just swallow up the rules by rote.

Your theory doesn't stop at the test centre. You need it to be safe on the road and not make faults which will fail your practical test.

Sounds naff but think of your driving career ahead.

Good luck OP!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending