The Student Room Group

I had a tooth extraction at 10 AM yesterday and the socket is still bleeding...

I was worried I would die last night because people have bled to death at like 2 AM in the morning (check it out).

I survived but I am still bleeding. I was bleeding badly 4 hours after the extraction so I booked an emergency appointment at the dentist, with the same one who removed my tooth.

She said don't prod the extraction site although I hadn't touched it (and I still haven't) but on the bleeding goes!

What is happening? If I go to the dentist again, I'll just get sent back home.

P.S. I've tried all of these strategies to reduce bleeding, such as the tea bag method...
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I was worried I would die last night because people have bled to death at like 2 AM in the morning (check it out).

I survived but I am still bleeding. I was bleeding badly 4 hours after the extraction so I booked an emergency appointment at the dentist, with the same one who removed my tooth.

She said don't prod the extraction site although I hadn't touched it (and I still haven't) but on the bleeding goes!

What is happening? If I go to the dentist again, I'll just get sent back home.

P.S. I've tried all of these strategies to reduce bleeding, such as the tea bag method...

Call whoever did it and if they are closed or whatever call 111. They can advise you over the phone on if you need to go see somebody so you don't waste your time going in.
If you do get freaked out late at night or start bleeding really heavily you can call 111 to get set up with an emergency dentist or go to A&E.
Bleeding can become a big deal so do treat it seriously. There's line between okay and too much and you are not qualified to know what that is. It's understandable for you to call for advice, wise even.

Take it from somebody who had a bleeding problem after a tonsillectomy. I keep visiting A&E (even called an ambulance at one point) and kept on being told it was fine and to come back if it got worse. Felt like a massive waste of time but then I was taken straight through into a bed on my last visit. Emergency admission, 2 days in hospital and a bunch of drugs later I'm fine, but that was the time it decided not to stop and I would have been far worse off had I not gone to A&E when I did.

You should be fine even if you do have a bleeding problem, but do get it checked and take it seriously. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Kindred
Call whoever did it and if they are closed or whatever call 111. They can advise you over the phone on if you need to go see somebody so you don't waste your time going in.
If you do get freaked out late at night or start bleeding really heavily you can call 111 to get set up with an emergency dentist or go to A&E.
Bleeding can become a big deal so do treat it seriously. There's line between okay and too much and you are not qualified to know what that is. It's understandable for you to call for advice, wise even.

Take it from somebody who had a bleeding problem after a tonsillectomy. I keep visiting A&E (even called an ambulance at one point) and kept on being told it was fine and to come back if it got worse. Felt like a massive waste of time but then I was taken straight through into a bed on my last visit. Emergency admission, 2 days in hospital and a bunch of drugs later I'm fine, but that was the time it decided not to stop and I would have been far worse off had I not gone to A&E when I did.

You should be fine even if you do have a bleeding problem, but do get it checked and take it seriously. Good luck :smile:

It stopped bleeding around Friday!

Pain has decreased as well, it's all good my friend!
Reply 3
It stopped bleeding around Friday!

Pain has decreased as well, it's all good my friend!

Glad you're doing okay now :smile:
This is making me feel anxious about getting teeth removed now 😭
Reply 5
This is making me feel anxious about getting teeth removed now 😭

There's no need to be anxious. I've had teeth removed in the past a couple of years ago when I was like 14-15 and the sockets stopped bleeding on the day.

The dentist found it harder than normal for this one to get removed and she was pushing it for about 15-20 minutes (maybe less).

Plus, this wasn't a milk tooth but an adult one.

Quick Reply

Latest