The Student Room Group

Nursing 1st year questions

I am due to start the course in 2017 and have a few questions
How did everyone budget during placements e.g spending money on food and clothes etc ?
is there anything you wish you knew before starting the course ?
what should i take with me for the first day etc?
is there nay reading or prep i should do before starting the course?
also if your staying at home how much money do you roughly spend weekly or daily and what on ?
And last but not least are there any specific shoes you would recommend for placements ?
im not too sure if other people have asked these questions they have just been on my mind recently and i am really nervous
(edited 6 years ago)
I am also due to start adult nursing in September and interested to see what people say.
I had a bursary rather than a loan but..
1) Take your own food. Hospital canteens can be limited, I did a lot of placements and then went on to work in a hospital with no canteen facilities. However I have yet to see anywhere without a staff kitchen or at least a kettle, fridge and microwave. Take cold food such as a sandwich on the first day until you can discern what facilities are available.
Re clothes. Also bear in mind if you're studying adult or child nursing you will spend a lot of time in uniform. If you are studying something like mental health or learning disability nursing many of them don't wear uniform. If that's the case then do not wear anything you mind getting ruined to work. I discovered this the hard sat when I wore a £25 t-shirt to one placement and a patient chucked cold tea all over it (it was pale green) when I got it home it was ruined. After that I just bought cheap stuff from Primark and chucked it out when it inevitably got ruined. If you are however studying adult nursing and are female (apologies can't tell if you are or not, Cookies, but this is directed at Mel who I can see is female)you maybe offered a choice of tunic and trousers or dresses. If you choose dresses, don't forget to budget for tights. And even if you wear trousers, make sure you budget for socks- I used to go through so many of them!

And on the subject of shoes, I would recommend a million times over a pair of Kickers. I bought a pair when I started my training and wore them until they literally fell off my feet five years later after constant wear on the wards and placements. Plus I was standing in all manner of unspeakable substances on a daily basis and they were brilliant, so hard wearing but comfy and smart. Not cheap, granted, but they were worth every single penny.
2) Anything I wish I had known?
No matter how much life experience you think you have, nursing will never fail to shock you. I was 25 when I started my training and thought I had sufficient life experience- uh-uh. Nothing could have prepared me for some of the things i came up against! Even when I started working on a ward I was still shocked by some things. Keep an open mind and try to see most things as a learning curve: most patients will appreciate that you're learning and will be co-operative. I've been a patient quite a lot in the last few years and I'm always so receptive to Student nurses although bear in mind not everyone will be like that.
3) For your first day at uni or placement? First day at uni, just yourself, pens, paper, lunch if you want to, that kind of thing. The first few days will literally just be settling in. First day on placement- you'll be told if you need to take anything specific- but I would stress at least two pens, lunch, and your placement booklet (this will all be explained to you though) and money for fares etc.
4) In regards to reading, that's up to you. A nursing dictionary is helpful, as I'm sure some kind of basic anatomy or biology textbook would be as well. Don't run ahead of yourself though- it'll only panic you.
I can't help with 5) as I moved away from home to do my training.
Finally, loads and loads of luck. It's damn hard work but so rewarding- I wish I could go back to my nursing days and I am so envious of those starting out on the road.
X
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by princessmaire80
1) Take your own food. Hospital canteens can be limited, I did a lot of placements and then went on to work in a hospital with no canteen facilities. However I have yet to see anywhere without a staff kitchen or at least a kettle, fridge and microwave. Take cold food such as a sandwich on the first day until you can discern what facilities are available.
Re clothes. Also bear in mind if you're studying adult or child nursing you will spend a lot of time in uniform. If you are studying something like mental health or learning disability nursing many of them don't wear uniform. If that's the case then do not wear anything you mind getting ruined to work. I discovered this the hard sat when I wore a £25 t-shirt to one placement and a patient chucked cold tea all over it (it was pale green) when I got it home it was ruined. After that I just bought cheap stuff from Primark and chucked it out when it inevitably got ruined. If you are however studying adult nursing and are female (apologies can't tell if you are or not, Cookies, but this is directed at Mel who I can see is female)you maybe offered a choice of tunic and trousers or dresses. If you choose dresses, don't forget to budget for tights. And even if you wear trousers, make sure you budget for socks- I used to go through so many of them!

And on the subject of shoes, I would recommend a million times over a pair of Kickers. I bought a pair when I started my training and wore them until they literally fell off my feet five years later after constant wear on the wards and placements. Plus I was standing in all manner of unspeakable substances on a daily basis and they were brilliant, so hard wearing but comfy and smart. Not cheap, granted, but they were worth every single penny.

Thanks for the advice princessmaire80.
Reply 4

2) Anything I wish I had known?
No matter how much life experience you think you have, nursing will never fail to shock you. I was 25 when I started my training and thought I had sufficient life experience- uh-uh. Nothing could have prepared me for some of the things i came up against! Even when I started working on a ward I was still shocked by some things. Keep an open mind and try to see most things as a learning curve: most patients will appreciate that you're learning and will be co-operative. I've been a patient quite a lot in the last few years and I'm always so receptive to Student nurses although bear in mind not everyone will be like that.
3) For your first day at uni or placement? First day at uni, just yourself, pens, paper, lunch if you want to, that kind of thing. The first few days will literally just be settling in. First day on placement- you'll be told if you need to take anything specific- but I would stress at least two pens, lunch, and your placement booklet (this will all be explained to you though) and money for fares etc.
4) In regards to reading, that's up to you. A nursing dictionary is helpful, as I'm sure some kind of basic anatomy or biology textbook would be as well. Don't run ahead of yourself though- it'll only panic you.
I can't help with 5) as I moved away from home to do my training.
Finally, loads and loads of luck. It's damn hard work but so rewarding- I wish I could go back to my nursing days and I am so envious of those starting out on the road.
X

Thank you soooooo much you don't understand how helpful this was yes I am female thanks thanks thanks
What's essay work like
Original post by Cookies89
Thank you soooooo much you don't understand how helpful this was yes I am female thanks thanks thanks
What's essay work like

You're welcome! I'm glad I could put your mind at ease. I wish something like this could have existed when I started my training- although mum was a nurse she trained in the 1960's and had no idea about the new fangled ways of doing stuff so I had to find out for myself.
I would say don't worry so much about the essays. I had studied at degree level previously so I was okay with academic essay writing. However, I know my tutors all had their ways that they liked things done and I'm sure yours will be the same. I can't stress enough- when it comes to the practical exams- revise, revise, revise. And bear in mine you will be asked to demonstrate them. I fell down on stupid little things that I didn't do- make sure you take time to check when you think you have done everything!
interesting
Original post by mel_l218
Thanks for the advice princessmaire80.

You're welcome 😊Glad I could help 😊
You're welcome 😊Glad I could help 😊

Do you recommend having a different folder and a different notebook for different subjects or different units/modules? (I have four folders from my access course so I won't be going out to buy anymore, only getting a new notebook/s)
I plan on getting a mini, pocket sized notebook for placements.
Thank you in advance. :smile:
Original post by mel_l218
Do you recommend having a different folder and a different notebook for different subjects or different units/modules? (I have four folders from my access course so I won't be going out to buy anymore, only getting a new notebook/s)
I plan on getting a mini, pocket sized notebook for placements.
Thank you in advance. :smile:

A pocket sized notebook is an excellent idea- however they will tell you to be mindful of confidentiality. There's nothing to stop you writing notes in general terms if there's no identifying patient data- say for example 'I gave an insulin injection, I did it x way but it can also be done y way'
With regards to separate folders etc for separate subjects- to me I would say that is totally personal choice. I didn't have separate ones, but I was happier that way. If having separate ones works for you, that's absolutely fine too. In a lot of things like organising notes etc you will find you have a preference which may not be the same as someone else's but there's no right or wrong in it 😊Do whatever works for you.
A pocket sized notebook is an excellent idea- however they will tell you to be mindful of confidentiality. There's nothing to stop you writing notes in general terms if there's no identifying patient data- say for example 'I gave an insulin injection, I did it x way but it can also be done y way'
With regards to separate folders etc for separate subjects- to me I would say that is totally personal choice. I didn't have separate ones, but I was happier that way. If having separate ones works for you, that's absolutely fine too. In a lot of things like organising notes etc you will find you have a preference which may not be the same as someone else's but there's no right or wrong in it 😊Do whatever works for you.

Thanks for the reply. Noted about the confidentiality, I'll ensure I keep general terms.
I'll probably buy a couple of notebooks to begin with and then I can always pick up another one or two if needed.
Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending