The Student Room Group

Ghost broking car insurance

So I've got myself into a bit of a situation, I passed earlier in the year and saved up with mostly my own hard earned money to buy a relatively cheap first car (I'm still at uni)

insurance prices on comparison sites were so high because of what demographic im from (young male), but I wanted to do things the legal way as I've always been so scared of having anything on my record. But my naivety to this business has gotten the best of me

I got a number from someone who assured me that a person they worked with offered legit car insurance, and that its trustworthy. I don't even know what this person does and what their role is, i assumed they're some sort of middle man. I got a far cheaper quote from them once I texted them my details (took some time for them to reply so I guess they assessed me to an extent). I called them just to make sure it was legit and they were saying yes.

I transferred them all the money for a year's insurance at their request and they sent me a picture of a cover note after a few days I think, on WhatsApp. After a few more days it was shown as insured on AskMID. This continued to be the case for some weeks, so all seemed legit, until I got a letter asking for proof of NCB that was apparently listed on my application. The NCB was something like 7 years, and bear in mind I've not even had my license for a year.

I called my middleman/broker person/whatever they are and they assured me it was an error and it would be sorted out. It didn't, and my insurance resulted in being cancelled, so the middleman arranged a new policy and I got a new letter from a total different insurance provider. The whole process of NCB proof-request, subsequent cancellation and rearrangement-with-new-company process happened again, and again, and again. I've been distracted with work and studies so have barely been driving, and as such have just buried my head in the sand.

Fast forward to now, my insurance is once again cancelled. But this time I got a letter from the latest company saying the reason why it was cancelled was not because of proof, but because I apparently lied saying my insurance has ever been cancelled before. The middleman person claims nothing is on my record, and the reason for this latest letter was because 'it was the same company that insured me last time' or some ****.

Now I just don't know what to do.
1. Is this ghost broking?
2. Are the cancellations on my record?
3. What do I do now? Can I get them wiped off? Is there a case for me?

I honestly didn't know it was potentially fraud until the first time my insurance was cancelled, in which case it was already too late. I would have NEVER gone down this route if I knew it was dodgy.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by S4LM4N
So I've got myself into a bit of a situation, I passed earlier in the year and saved up with mostly my own hard earned money to buy a relatively cheap first car (I'm still at uni)

insurance prices on comparison sites were so high because of what demographic im from (young male), but I wanted to do things the legal way as I've always been so scared of having anything on my record. But my naivety to this business has gotten the best of me

I got a number from someone who assured me that a person they worked with offered legit car insurance, and that its trustworthy. I don't even know what this person does and what their role is, i assumed they're some sort of middle man. I got a far cheaper quote from them once I texted them my details (took some time for them to reply so I guess they assessed me to an extent). I called them just to make sure it was legit and they were saying yes.

I transferred them all the money for a year's insurance at their request and they sent me a picture of a cover note after a few days I think, on WhatsApp. After a few more days it was shown as insured on AskMID. This continued to be the case for some weeks, so all seemed legit, until I got a letter asking for proof of NCB that was apparently listed on my application. The NCB was something like 7 years, and bear in mind I've not even had my license for a year.

I called my middleman/broker person/whatever they are and they assured me it was an error and it would be sorted out. It didn't, and my insurance resulted in being cancelled, so the middleman arranged a new policy and I got a new letter from a total different insurance provider. The whole process of NCB proof-request, subsequent cancellation and rearrangement-with-new-company process happened again, and again, and again. I've been distracted with work and studies so have barely been driving, and as such have just buried my head in the sand.

Fast forward to now, my insurance is once again cancelled. But this time I got a letter from the latest company saying the reason why it was cancelled was not because of proof, but because I apparently lied saying my insurance has ever been cancelled before. The middleman person claims nothing is on my record, and the reason for this latest letter was because 'it was the same company that insured me last time' or some ****.

Now I just don't know what to do.
1. Is this ghost broking?
2. Are the cancellations on my record?
3. What do I do now? Can I get them wiped off? Is there a case for me?

I honestly didn't know it was potentially fraud until the first time my insurance was cancelled, in which case it was already too late. I would have NEVER gone down this route if I knew it was dodgy.

If something seems too good to be true, it probably is. In this case, that logic holds true.

Yeah, the cancellations are on your record, and you may even have a CIFAS marker (check your credit report).

In short, you shouldn't ever go through a middleman broker unless they are absolutely regulated and licenced - someone dealing through WhatsApp should have triggered the dodgy detectors in your brain pretty fast!

There's not much you can do I'm afraid.
Reply 2
Original post by IWMTom
If something seems too good to be true, it probably is. In this case, that logic holds true.

Yeah, the cancellations are on your record, and you may even have a CIFAS marker (check your credit report).

In short, you shouldn't ever go through a middleman broker unless they are absolutely regulated and licenced - someone dealing through WhatsApp should have triggered the dodgy detectors in your brain pretty fast!

There's not much you can do I'm afraid.

I'm 21. This would surely just mean I can't drive for a long long time?? Can I even drive ever? Honestly this all seems so extreme given I did my best to avoid anything dodgy. I was honestly just totally naive.. Surely there has to be a way out of this

I just checked my credit report and thank God it says I don't have any fraud warnings or markers. I see a lot of insurance companies have searched me though
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by S4LM4N
I'm 21. This would surely just mean I can't drive for a long long time?? Can I even drive ever? Honestly this all seems so extreme given I did my best to avoid anything dodgy. I was honestly just totally naive.. Surely there has to be a way out of this

I just checked my credit report and thank God it says I don't have any fraud warnings or markers. I see a lot of insurance companies have searched me though

You'll probably get ridiculous quotes, much higher than you were getting. It's possible you could explain your situation to someone, but it's unlikely to change much; you might just be stuffed for a few years :/
Reply 4
Hey! I’m in the same situation and I’m just wondering if you’ve sorted your insurance yet?
Reply 5
Original post by Znxox
Hey! I’m in the same situation and I’m just wondering if you’ve sorted your insurance yet?

I called the individual insurance companies up and cleared myself of the markers on my record. all of them were pretty understanding. I haven’t actually taken out an insurance policy since though so I’m going by their word. I probably need to chase them up for some evidence of correspondence.
Reply 6
Original post by nainabhardwaj496
Hello, I am contacting yourself from BBC Watchdog. We are currently doing a piece on 'ghost broking' and I was wondering whether we could ask you some questions?

If that is really the case, I'd advise contacting the Community Team to verify your identity.
Reply 7
An insurance cancellation stays on your record for life, you were lucky that the insurers removed this for you after listening to your explanation.
Loads of young drivers are getting caught out by paperwork, black boxes and all sorts of other reasons and end up getting their insurance cancelled, making their premiums ridiculously high for life.
I'd advise being much more careful in future, the cheapest places I've found car insurance are comparethemarket and directline if you get a price cheaper than you can get on a comparison website from someone else, ask yourself how they've done that? It's obviously by putting in fraudulent information.
Hi znxox quick question in same situation, just wanted to know what steps did you take and how long was it till the marker was removed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending