The Student Room Group

Can we all agree not to debate religion on TSR?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UDZ
Of course, but at least take my points into consideration if you do take part and engage in those sorts of debate.

I'm not too sure what you're getting at, but I like the maths.

Okay, let me simplify it for you.

The idea behind your suggestive thread will not be implemented.
Original post by UDZ
Yeah, probably not. But I just spend a whole bunch of time writing that thing so I'm not letting my hopes down just yet.

Wasted time really.
Original post by Vikingninja
Wasted time really.

Carpe diem.
Reply 23
Original post by Vikingninja
Wasted time really.

Hey - you don't know that :redface:

And even if no one gives one, I think it can be useful to put your thoughts into writing. Don't you?

At least I said please.

Original post by Wanderlust96
I try to take everyone's point into consideration. But your post states that avoiding debate in regards to religion will help make TSR more civilised and reasonable. I think the exact opposite.

Well, we may just have to agree to disagree. My reasoning is that whenever religious debates are done on TSR, they are done poorly, and that maybe TSR isn't the place to challenge other people's beliefs. And, of course, the first two points I made in the original post.
Original post by UDZ
Hey - you don't know that :redface:

And even if no one gives one, I think it can be useful to put your thoughts into writing. Don't you?

At least I said please.

Well, we may just have to agree to disagree. My reasoning is that whenever religious debates are done on TSR, they are done poorly, and that maybe TSR isn't the place to challenge other people's beliefs. And, of course, the first two points I made in the original post.

Yes I do and no I'm not because there isn't any point in me doing so as it's still going to stay the same.
Nothing wrong with a real spicy burrito unless it is at breakfast time.
Original post by UDZ

1) I don't think all debates turn into arguments. I think that people often confuse the two, and that there are a minority of people who cannot discuss differing opinions without resorting to insult.

2) Minds are constantly changed through debates. Take it from someone who engages her friends in debate at every opportunity. I've changed opinions and have had my own opinions changed. Those of my friends who identify most firmly as atheists are the ones that have come from religious families. This refutes the idea that those from a religious background cannot communicate with those from an atheist/agnostic background.

I won't address the other points in your OP since this isn't in the debate forum and you are clearly not a big fan of that kind of discussion, but these are some of the reasons I disagree with you (since you followed your last response up with some reasoning of your own).
Reply 27
PRSOM

that was my thoughts exactly when I saw it ...lmao
Reply 28
Original post by UDZ
1) Debates on here never lead to a valuable conclusion and they just turn into flame wars. (Seriously guys, do you think you'd change your mind to someone who's acting like a total *******? No, right? So then stop being an ******* if you're trying to change someone else's mind.)
2) Different people believe in things for different reasons. You can't convince someone of something when they have a fundamentally different way of accepting knowledge to you. And vice versa.

Sidenote: You can't "prove" something is true in science, only that something is false. And because you can't prove God's existence to be false, it is (by definition) not science. So atheists and theists alike need to stop telling each other to prove/disprove the existence of God.

I've seen several people saying they left their religion after reading threads on TSR.
No is the short answer, time after time, cue song.
Reply 30
Original post by edd522
I've seen several people saying they left their religion after reading threads on TSR.

Indeed. See here for a recent thread on this:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=72982124#post72982124
Nested tl;drs - I like this idea.
no
No.
Debate or Not to Debate? that is not the question but What are we having for food? is the true question:holmes:
Can we stop banning members and reporting/removing innocent posts/threads that offend some prick?

stop trying to control tsr and the entertainment here!
I think banning debating of religion would be an awful decision. Religion is a sensitive topic for many but this should not mean it cannot be debated in a respectful healthy manner.

Slinging insults at each other is not going to encourage a healthy debate though so if you want religious people to engage in debate with you then you should respect their beliefs, if you don't that's fine but don't expect much of a debate from them. Just my two cents.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending