The Student Room Group

Taken a break from social media and people don't care

After leaving my summer job three weeks ago I decided I'd step away from most forms of social media (mainly snapchat and instagram).

I've been trying to get my life in order after graduating fron Uni this summer, getting my ideal part-time job to support my travelling endeavours for the next 12-24 months and trying to recover after being done for fraud. Also deal with being blown off by most of my family friends for my 21st bday dinner, because they simply didnt bother to let me know whether they were coming or not.

But realised one thing: three weeks into my break and barely anyone has reached out for me since "disappearing" to check up on me. Not to say I'm looking for attention or testing them as I purely took the break to better myself, but I do wonder if its worth coming back at all since they haven't cared to notice as they continually post their own daily adventures every few hours of the day, especially (and more so) those so-called "family friends"

I don't know exactly what to do about them ( more so when I see them in person) or any future friends and dating prospects who would want to be in touch with me. Just wondering if anyone's been in similar situations and if so what they did about it?
Yeah, I did the same thing. I used to post a lot on Instagram and care about all that stuff, and let ppl add me on Snapchat, but I started to get overwhelmed with it all and so I took a break. It was more that I was kinda tired of how fake and ingenuine it all is, and I didn't like the idea of wasting hours on my phone looking at everyone else's lives and not living my own (without sounding super cringey or pretentious). One thing I think that rlly got to me was that the ppl who were my friends irl hardly interacted with me on social media, because they wanted to keep this image and I didn't fit into that (this works both ways ofc) and I just hated that level of shallowness. So I just stopped caring, I didnt post alot and when I did I made sure i wasnt trying to be someone I'm not. It was kinda hard cause I lost a lot of ppl I thought were my friends but I'm also happy, like although I have the rep of the girl who like never replies to messages - I'm putting more of a focus into my friendships in real life and more importantly I feel like I'm in control of my lif. I get what you're saying about ppl not reaching out to you after your break- I had the same situation and it was kinda hard. I think this is a chance for u to reevaluate your friendships. That beung said don't jump straight to the conclusion that they don't care about you, i think that we're all so overwhelmed on social media with all the connections we have to ppl. And an absence on these networks is much harder to notice than a presence.
It's only been 3 weeks. I wouldn't worry about it personally.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
After leaving my summer job three weeks ago I decided I'd step away from most forms of social media (mainly snapchat and instagram).

I've been trying to get my life in order after graduating fron Uni this summer, getting my ideal part-time job to support my travelling endeavours for the next 12-24 months and trying to recover after being done for fraud. Also deal with being blown off by most of my family friends for my 21st bday dinner, because they simply didnt bother to let me know whether they were coming or not.

But realised one thing: three weeks into my break and barely anyone has reached out for me since "disappearing" to check up on me. Not to say I'm looking for attention or testing them as I purely took the break to better myself, but I do wonder if its worth coming back at all since they haven't cared to notice as they continually post their own daily adventures every few hours of the day, especially (and more so) those so-called "family friends"

I don't know exactly what to do about them ( more so when I see them in person) or any future friends and dating prospects who would want to be in touch with me. Just wondering if anyone's been in similar situations and if so what they did about it?

Lol, honestly if 90% of people stopped going on insta, twitter and facebook ect no one would notice. It's not just you, people just browse at whats avilable to them, they're not looking at anything else or why so and so hasn't posted for so long.

Even your friends, they'll only notice if they tag you in stuff or message you and you haven't replied. But i take it you just use your phone/whatsapp for that anyway so it's normal, dw.
(edited 6 years ago)
Yeah I've kind of found that since taking a break from Facebook, it's almost like people forget that texting is an option :tongue: but people that matter will make an effort so don't worry too much.
People usually tend to follow hundreds if not thousands of people. It's unlikely most would notice if one person's activity dropped unless they were actively looking at your profile.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending