The Student Room Group

Parents want to come with me on my first day of uni help

hey guys

I've got a place at Warwick but my parents are saying they want to go with me and have a look at the accomodation I'll be staying in on the first day of term. I told them that I can just arrange an open day for them to come and see but they said no they want to come with me on my first day. Please help as it's quite embarrassing to be having parents hold your hand even at uni and I'm sure I'll be the only one. also they'll probably get in the way of me making any new friends so I'll already be off to a rough start 😕
Original post by Titan Gainz
hey guys

I've got a place at Warwick but my parents are saying they want to go with me and have a look at the accomodation I'll be staying in on the first day of term. I told them that I can just arrange an open day for them to come and see but they said no they want to come with me on my first day. Please help as it's quite embarrassing to be having parents hold your hand even at uni and I'm sure I'll be the only one. also they'll probably get in the way of me making any new friends so I'll already be off to a rough start 😕

Oh sweetie, don't worry. Trust me, everyone is in the same boat. When I first moved in, my parents came with me and so did all of my flatmate's parents. My parents helped me settle in, met my flatmates and their parents. Your parents just want to make sure that you'll be okay, don't be so hard on them. :smile:
Reply 2
Do they know Warwick university is actually in Coventry? You could ditch them in Warwick and it'll hopefully take so long for them to realise that they give up and go home.
You're not the only one, haha. All of my friends who moved out for uni had their parents inspecting accommodation on moving day as well!
Lol parents going with you on the first day is pretty standard. I mean they're not staying the night. Just checking you new digs.
hey guys

It's normal and arguably a rite of passage , also don't you want them to help you get all your stuff there?
hey guys

Almost everyone will be in the same boat. Just arrange for them to have a quick poke about and then leave you to it, so you can concentrate on meeting new people once they've gone. Mine helped me unpack from the car, had a quick squizz around, and then left me in peace. I'd say that was just perfect :smile:
Thanks guys, I feel a bit more reassured now. I mean it's not as if I don't like them, it's just the way they behave is rather antisocial and my sister who went to uni before me said that they made things pretty awkward for her when speaking to other people on her first day.

Also I'm sure I'll have a lot more to worry about it so just leave them at Coventry station 😂
Yeah I was going to say, most people's parents help them move in and stuff. As long as they don't stay and start going to lectures with you, it's fine.
Reply 9
As everyone has said - don't worry - EVERYBODY will be in the same boat - take advantage of the situation - get them to take all your stuff and help you unpack, get them to take you to the supermarket and stock up on food and then get them to take you out for a meal before heading off in to the sun set to let you get on with the real business of getting stuck in to freshers :colone: But don't worry everyone will be doing exactly the same - it was certainly the case for me when I went to uni :smile:
Unfortunately this is standard practice. Once you get there you might actually find a surprising number of boring tasks that you can delegate out to them... unpacking? Talk to them before hand perhaps and tell them that there is an important lecture/ freshers meeting held at a reasonable time you would like them to go :smile: i.e not five minutes after you arrive! Hope this helps and good luck!!!
its normal so dont be ashamed
Reply 12
It'll be good to help you get your stuff in. Perhaps just ask if one can come rather than both. Might be a little easier to manage.
dude, respect your parents. it's fine everyone has their parents on the first day they move in, to help you move your stuff.
hey guys

It's kinda a right of passage for parents. I know it's awkward for you, but for them it's like seeing you off into independence and adulthood. This is the moment their whole parenthood has been leading up to. They need it.

Most people's parents move them in first day. It's not a big deal. People will drag stuff from the car, dump it in their rooms, their parents will place a potted plant lovingly on the desk, maybe take them shopping and then leave.
Honestly, people will be far too busy being embarrassed by their parents to bother with yours.

Bring some snacks or something for your hall and they will be too excited about free food to care about anything else :tongue:
Reply 15
Congratulations on getting your place. Let your parents come with you, you are going to have lots to move in, and they will be very helpful. The other students will have their parents as well, so no one will feel out of place. Plus it will ease both your minds for them to be around a little bit, as you wont know many people, if any, and they will be able to help you break the ice.

When I went to the Open day for the local uni, a lot of the kids had their parents with them and were very shy. As an adult I just chatted to everyone, no matter the age, and found some great contacts for later on.

The fresher week I am told is hectic, so take the time on the first day just to get everything straight and relax a bit before the rush of the next few days.

Good luck and smash that course.

PS there are a lot of You Tube videos on the subject, just look for Move in Day and you'll find hundreds to watch, so you know what to expect.
(edited 6 years ago)
I think you'll find that most parents help their children move into their university accommodation! I think it's quite nice that your parents can meet your friends parents. There is nothing to be embarassed about! :smile:
hey guys

Are They helping you move in. I don't think there's anything to be embarrassed about I think that's what most students do They bring their parents to help them move in and then they go. you'll be okay😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending