The Student Room Group

I'm jealous of my boyfriends life long friendship with another woman

Hi everyone, so I'm here asking because I feel stupid. OK, my boyfriend and I are in love, and he has a best friend who is female, and she is married with a child. Nothing sinister will ever take place there. Yet I can't help but be saddened by it at times. In my defense, I did the two an fro with this guy for ten years before he has finally said he's in it for the long haul, and we have been solidly together for about a year now, but known each other for a long time. He and her have known eachother since school though. During all those uncertain years there were a lot of times where I was lividly jealous of her (before she was married) and how close they were. I know there was definitely a few kisses and a lot of talk of the two being meant for eachother. Thy genuinely have a beautiful friendship, a life long one. I'm happy that he has that but I also feel sad that he can obviously tell her things he cant to me. Also things like, he didn't get me a birthday present this year, I know, superficial, but then he got her one. I'm on this forum because I tried to explain to him how that made me feel, but he shut me down, basically said I've no right to feel like that, he doesn't have to justify his friendship. I'm not asking for justification, i'm asking for recognition of MY feelings. Feelings which were born from ten years of let downs with him never committing. We are absolutely in love now and everything else in life is bliss except for this. I hate that I keep this awful thought with me of 'what if it really was her he wanted, but he missed out'. He has said it was actually always her who wanted him, but they never went that far so as not to damage the friendship. Am I being stupid? Should I just get over this? The old feelings of inadequacy seem to re-surface whenever I hear her name.
Reply 1
Those feelings are completely fair enough, in my opinion, it is out of line for him to seemingly prioritise her over you and in a relationship, the basis of it should be trust, so if he doesn't tell you things that he may tell this other woman he really should take another look at his behaviour and try to make u feel like his number one everything, not just lover, but also someone to talk about everything with and say the most outrageous statements. From experience, he is probably just reacting badly due to this becoming a habit and also feel a bit on the back foot now. Anyone in this sort of situation would react similarly so don't fear you're being irrational or stupid. The main point is that you need to be prioritised over the other woman - completely prioritised, maybe he should try to imagine what it would be like if this situation was the other way round.Goodluck!
Reply 2
Original post by yoda-tom
Those feelings are completely fair enough, in my opinion, it is out of line for him to seemingly prioritise her over you and in a relationship, the basis of it should be trust, so if he doesn't tell you things that he may tell this other woman he really should take another look at his behaviour and try to make u feel like his number one everything, not just lover, but also someone to talk about everything with and say the most outrageous statements. From experience, he is probably just reacting badly due to this becoming a habit and also feel a bit on the back foot now. Anyone in this sort of situation would react similarly so don't fear you're being irrational or stupid. The main point is that you need to be prioritised over the other woman - completely prioritised, maybe he should try to imagine what it would be like if this situation was the other way round.Goodluck!

Thanks so much, I do think he is reacting badly. This time he let it go on for 2 days which was silly. It's a reaction of his that I've only recently became aware of, it's not something I like to see. Sometimes I think he is more annoyed with himself than me but doesn't want to say it. I think I'll approach this to him in the form of a letter. That way he will have to let it sink and mull over it in his own mind and alone before he does the weird 'quickly shut me down from having those feelings' thing.
Reply 3
Original post by SarRagh
Thanks so much, I do think he is reacting badly. This time he let it go on for 2 days which was silly. It's a reaction of his that I've only recently became aware of, it's not something I like to see. Sometimes I think he is more annoyed with himself than me but doesn't want to say it. I think I'll approach this to him in the form of a letter. That way he will have to let it sink and mull over it in his own mind and alone before he does the weird 'quickly shut me down from having those feelings' thing.

Write a letter and you are writng the end chapter of your relationship. Don't even entertain the idea further.
Reply 4
Original post by SarRagh
Hi everyone, so I'm here asking because I feel stupid. OK, my boyfriend and I are in love, and he has a best friend who is female, and she is married with a child. Nothing sinister will ever take place there. Yet I can't help but be saddened by it at times. In my defense, I did the two an fro with this guy for ten years before he has finally said he's in it for the long haul, and we have been solidly together for about a year now, but known each other for a long time. He and her have known eachother since school though. During all those uncertain years there were a lot of times where I was lividly jealous of her (before she was married) and how close they were. I know there was definitely a few kisses and a lot of talk of the two being meant for eachother. Thy genuinely have a beautiful friendship, a life long one. I'm happy that he has that but I also feel sad that he can obviously tell her things he cant to me. Also things like, he didn't get me a birthday present this year, I know, superficial, but then he got her one. I'm on this forum because I tried to explain to him how that made me feel, but he shut me down, basically said I've no right to feel like that, he doesn't have to justify his friendship. I'm not asking for justification, i'm asking for recognition of MY feelings. Feelings which were born from ten years of let downs with him never committing. We are absolutely in love now and everything else in life is bliss except for this. I hate that I keep this awful thought with me of 'what if it really was her he wanted, but he missed out'. He has said it was actually always her who wanted him, but they never went that far so as not to damage the friendship. Am I being stupid? Should I just get over this? The old feelings of inadequacy seem to re-surface whenever I hear her name.

tbh if i were you i wouldn't really be happy with the situation either, but you can't really ask him [and expect him] to drop his lifelong friend [although i'd say you were justified if you wanted him to]
I don't think your feelings are irrational. I think once you become a couple, you have a right to have all your male partner's female friends only communicate with him through you - i.e. by messaging him or calling him through your phone number and asking to speak to him if that is what makes you comfortable, and asking that they hang out with him when you're present. He should be prioritizing you over her.
Yeah, I knew a longtime married couple who did things that way.

Once people get a partner they usually hang out with friends as a couple anyway.
How it happened was the female friend would usually become friends with the guy's partner, the guy's partner would reach out and be nice, and ask that the female friend reached out to her partner through her.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending