The Student Room Group

Should I hide A grades on my UCAS form?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by cappa2
It would really suck if I had to put in my average grade because got almost only 15s in my last semester which equals an A+ and I got an overall grade of 1,0 in my A-Levels which is the best and if I had to put in my overall grade, which isn't very accurate since, as I said, it can mean 3 different grades, I feel like it wouldn't really honor the effort I put into my grades

Does this help?

https://qips.ucas.com/qip/germany-zeugnis-der-allgemeinen-hochschulreife-abitur
Reply 41

Not really unfortunately, as it doesn't tell me what grades I have to enter exactly and there's also some false information on there. I guess I'll message them and tell them what you guys told me and go from there. It'd be really unfair if they tell me otherwise and I got disqualified for doing what they told me so I wanna double check
But thank you anyway!
Original post by cappa2
Not really unfortunately, as it doesn't tell me what grades I have to enter exactly and there's also some false information on there. I guess I'll message them and tell them what you guys told me and go from there. It'd be really unfair if they tell me otherwise and I got disqualified for doing what they told me so I wanna double check
But thank you anyway!
The Abitur is what you leave High School with in Germany, isn't it? You have (or will have) some sort of Certificate which will show the subjects taken and the grades achieved. When you go into your UCAS application and select 'Abitur' from the list provided, you should find that the format lends itself to being able to enter the individual subjects and the final grades achieved as shown on your certificate. If your studies in Year 10 aren't formally certificated then you can't enter the grades you achieved, because without a formal certificate it doesn't count as a qualification, but your referee can mention them in your reference if it's relevant.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Minerva
The Abitur is what you leave High School with in Germany, isn't it? You have (or will have) some sort of Certificate which will show the subjects taken and the grades achieved. When you go into your UCAS application and select 'Abitur' from the list provided, you should find that the format lends itself to being able to enter the individual subjects and the grades achieved. If you don't have your final grades yet, you will need to select 'pending' and your referee will enter predicted grades for each subject as part of doing your reference.

You can't enter any grades achieved 'along the way' unless you have a formal certificate for them, but your referee can mention them in your reference.

I think they are referring to the GCSE equivalent stage, but I could be wrong....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by Minerva
The Abitur is what you leave High School with in Germany, isn't it? You have (or will have) some sort of Certificate which will show the subjects taken and the grades achieved. When you go into your UCAS application and select 'Abitur' from the list provided, you should find that the format lends itself to being able to enter the individual subjects and the grades achieved. If you don't have your final grades yet, you will need to select 'pending' and your referee will enter predicted grades for each subject as part of doing your reference.

You can't enter any grades achieved 'along the way' unless you have a formal certificate for them, but your referee can mention them in your reference.

Yes I did that and that's why it's so confusing to me. I'm not sure if they mean the average grade I received in each subject or the last grade (as the UCAS adviser told me) and if I have to enter the grades of the classes I dropped back in grade 10 ( I received a grade for them at the end of the school year, just like every year)
Original post by Doonesbury
I think they are referring to the GCSE equivalent stage, but I could be wrong....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, I know (I've amended my post to reflect that the poster has completed the Abitur) - but from what I can see the age 16 grades aren't certificated in the way we are used to here - if they are on the Abitur 'track' it's the final qualification in year 12/13 that's the target.
Original post by cappa2
Yes I did that and that's why it's so confusing to me. I'm not sure if they mean the average grade I received in each subject or the last grade (as the UCAS adviser told me) and if I have to enter the grades of the classes I dropped back in grade 10 ( I received a grade for them at the end of the school year, just like every year)
It will be the final grade, which is what (presumably) is shown on your certificate. The subjects that you dropped and didn't take as part of the final Abitur don't need to be included; school grades without a formal certificate don't count as qualifications.
Original post by cappa2

Put in the grade that you have certified. Like my average grade for English Language for example was lower through out the year, and then in my official final exam, I got higher, and that shows on my certificate, so I would put in the certificate grade, even if my average grade was different (since it wasn't certified)
Reply 48
Original post by Minerva
It will be the final grade, which is what (presumably) is shown on your certificate. The subjects that you dropped and didn't take as part of the final Abitur don't need to be included; school grades without a formal certificate don't count as qualifications.

Thank you, that's very helpful!!
I currently take maths statistics as a full a2 but last year I did m1 as an extra module. I want to try and get another two modules done this year if I can (probably m2 and fp1), which would give me a further maths AS (as far as I understand). However, whether or not I take the exams for these modules is going to be dependent upon whether I feel that I have the time to do them - I'm already going to be taking 4 a-levels in the summer so if I feel like it's too much I won't take them.So should I put the further maths AS down on my ucas form or not? I don't want to not put it down and then do it if that's going to get me into trouble, but at the same time I think they'd also have a problem if I put down a qualification that I then didn't take. :/
Original post by cappa2
Thank you, that's very helpful!!
Good :smile:

What happens at 16 in Germany? Is it just assumed that you will carry on for a further two years and get the Abitur? What if you decided not to, would you end up leaving school with no certificates at all?
Reply 51
Original post by Minerva
Good :smile:

What happens at 16 in Germany? Is it just assumed that you will carry on for a further two years and get the Abitur? What if you decided not to, would you end up leaving school with no certificates at all?

I just tried to read up on how long you have to go to school to but I'm not 100% sure if it's correct.
Apparently you have to go to school for at least 9 years, however, if you're not 18 years old by that time, you're required to attend a "Berufsschule" (I think it's called a vocational school?).
When you're done with elementary school, you have 3 options: You can attend the "Hauptschule" which you attend until 9th or 10th grade. This is the lowest kind of secondary school and if you simply graduate from this type of school (and only do an apprenticeship) your chances of getting a good job are practically 0, however, you have the chance to still get your Abitur by attending another secondary school. I don't really know much about this but i know my cousin went to a Hauptschule and after doing an apprenticeship he decided to go back to school and is now working on his Abitur. I don't know exactly which types of school you have to attend for that though.
The second type of school is the "Realschule" which you visit until grade 10. Upon receiving your Realschul-certificate you can either do an apprenticeship or you can visit a "Gymnasium" and receive your Abitur. As far as I know you will attend the "Gymnasium" until year 13.
Lastly there's the "Gymnasium" (as i already mentioned), that's what I did. It's the fastest route if you want to receive your Abitur since, at most schools of this type, you can receive your Abitur after 12th grade. If you do not manage to accumulate at least 300 credits during your last 2 years of school you fail though (and won't receive your Abitur, but I think you still have the "Mittlere Hochschulreife", which is the qualification you receive upon passing the "Realschule":wink:.
As you can see, in Germany it's really difficult to end up with no qualification at all. I'd say most people receive their Abitur here and it's what's most common as far as I know (take this with a grain of salt though, I mainly know people who went to the same type of school as I did. My sisters attend the Realschule, one of them graduated this year and she also decided to attend a Gymnasium afterwards and from what she told me, that's what most of her classmates are doing).
As much as I'm starting to dislike Germany due to the current political events, I think their system of education is really great, to be honest.
I hope that answers your question and I hope the reply isn't too long! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
No wayyyy! Plus your grades are amazing you'll do fine trust me ! Good luck
Well can I hide my Free Standing Maths Qualification in Add Maths then? Saying 11 A* and a C isn't the best haha, and it's free standing so surely?
Original post by cappa2
I just tried to read up on how long you have to go to school to but I'm not 100% sure if it's correct.
Apparently you have to go to school for at least 9 years, however, if you're not 18 years old by that time, you're required to attend a "Berufsschule" (I think it's called a vocational school?).
When you're done with elementary school, you have 3 options: You can attend the "Hauptschule" which you attend until 9th or 10th grade. This is the lowest kind of secondary school and if you simply graduate from this type of school (and only do an apprenticeship) your chances of getting a good job are practically 0, however, you have the chance to still get your Abitur by attending another secondary school. I don't really know much about this but i know my cousin went to a Hauptschule and after doing an apprenticeship he decided to go back to school and is now working on his Abitur. I don't know exactly which types of school you have to attend for that though.
The second type of school is the "Realschule" which you visit until grade 10. Upon receiving your Realschul-certificate you can either do an apprenticeship or you can visit a "Gymnasium" and receive your Abitur. As far as I know you will attend the "Gymnasium" until year 13.
Lastly there's the "Gymnasium" (as i already mentioned), that's what I did. It's the fastest route if you want to receive your Abitur since, at most schools of this type, you can receive your Abitur after 12th grade. If you do not manage to accumulate at least 300 credits during your last 2 years of school you fail though (and won't receive your Abitur, but I think you still have the "Mittlere Hochschulreife", which is the qualification you receive upon passing the "Realschule":wink:.
As you can see, in Germany it's really difficult to end up with no qualification at all. I'd say most people receive their Abitur here and it's what's most common as far as I know (take this with a grain of salt though, I mainly know people who went to the same type of school as I did. My sisters attend the Realschule, one of them graduated this year and she also decided to attend a Gymnasium afterwards and from what she told me, that's what most of her classmates are doing).
As much as I'm starting to dislike Germany due to the current political events, I think their system of education is really great, to be honest.
I hope that answers your question and I hope the reply isn't too long! :smile:
That's really interesting - thanks. It's good to hear that people can continue their studies to Abitur level if they want to, even if they don't start in the gymnasium.

I've been having a look at some Abitur certificates online, and they do seem quite complicated!
Original post by XxxvatxxX
Well can I hide my Free Standing Maths Qualification in Add Maths then? Saying 11 A* and a C isn't the best haha, and it's free standing so surely?
Nope, you have to include it, but it won't be a problem so don't worry about it.
Original post by Minerva
Nope, you have to include it, but it won't be a problem so don't worry about it.

Are you sureee :frown:

It wasn't a GCSE either, it was an OCR board FMSQ half our year did so I am not really sureee
Original post by XxxvatxxX
Are you sureee :frown:

It wasn't a GCSE either, it was an OCR board FMSQ half our year did so I am not really sureee
Yes - it has to be included, but it really won't make any difference to your application, either way.
Original post by cc85734
No. You have to declare all of your grades

The first rule of declaring grades is:
You MUST declare ALL qualifications you hold - yes, even that random NVQ you took 3 years ago or that GCSE you took early and you did really badly in. It doesn’t matter if you think it’s not relevant. That’s up to the university to decide. Hiding grades and pleading ignorance later is a really bad idea. It can result in you losing your place even after you’ve enrolled at uni. You won’t be rejected - even by a top ten uni - just because of one anomalous poor grade.

All the following must be entered in the Qualifications section of the UCAS form:

All GCSEs graded A* to U (yes, including that embarrassing D for ICT you got in Year 9).

All your AS Levels (A-E, and any U grades). AS levels are now routinely certificated as a qualification in their own right except by a (very) few private schools. Therefore, even if you have taken the full A level in the same subject, or are planning to resit, these AS Level grades need to be declared.

All your A level grades (A*-E, and any U grades).

IB overall score, subjects and levels and points achieved

Any other certificated qualifications, even if they are vocational, or weren’t sat in the UK.

In reference to you saying yay have to declare AS grades even when you e taken the full A-Level - Does this apply even when it doesn't count for 50%?

Let's say, right now I've got an A at A2 Psychology. But, a D at AS. It counted for nothing, but I sat the exams. I have to declare the AS grade?
Reply 59
Original post by FloralHybrid
In reference to you saying yay have to declare AS grades even when you e taken the full A-Level - Does this apply even when it doesn't count for 50%?

Let's say, right now I've got an A at A2 Psychology. But, a D at AS. It counted for nothing, but I sat the exams. I have to declare the AS grade?

Yes you do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending