The Student Room Group

Hi Sfe could you help me with slightly complicated situation...?

Hi SFE,

My situation is a little complicated. I have a previous degree which I received funding for and completed.

I have recently started an Nhs course which I received a bursary so no tuition fee loan from Sfe, only a reduced rate maintenance loan. I failed my first year so have to repeat the year (only on a part time basis because I only have to repeat 1 module)

In order to get the part time (reduced rate) maintenance loan for this extra year I applied for compelling reasons. I received a letter to say this isn't taken into account because this is an Nhs course so I will continue to get funding.

It gets confusing now; I was meant to start my repeat year this month but decided to defer until next sep due to my health issues. However I received the first installment of loan because I did not defer in time - I didn't enrol though so my uni are currently in the process of informing you that I shouldn't have been paid. So I will repay this money as soon as they've informed you. So I hope this year will not be taken into account as I have not started any study and have been paid in error.

The problem is, the local education authority are currently deciding if they will fund me next year, if they do not this means that next September 2018 if I want to go back to my course the new fee structure of loans only will come into place.
If this happens am I able to apply for tuition fees and loan for the length of my course, even though I have; a previous degree and a year and a bit of Nhs course completion.

I hope this makes sense and you can help.
Thank you
Original post by Raspberry_Rush
Hi SFE,

My situation is a little complicated. I have a previous degree which I received funding for and completed.

I have recently started an Nhs course which I received a bursary so no tuition fee loan from Sfe, only a reduced rate maintenance loan. I failed my first year so have to repeat the year (only on a part time basis because I only have to repeat 1 module)

In order to get the part time (reduced rate) maintenance loan for this extra year I applied for compelling reasons. I received a letter to say this isn't taken into account because this is an Nhs course so I will continue to get funding.

It gets confusing now; I was meant to start my repeat year this month but decided to defer until next sep due to my health issues. However I received the first installment of loan because I did not defer in time - I didn't enrol though so my uni are currently in the process of informing you that I shouldn't have been paid. So I will repay this money as soon as they've informed you. So I hope this year will not be taken into account as I have not started any study and have been paid in error.

The problem is, the local education authority are currently deciding if they will fund me next year, if they do not this means that next September 2018 if I want to go back to my course the new fee structure of loans only will come into place.
If this happens am I able to apply for tuition fees and loan for the length of my course, even though I have; a previous degree and a year and a bit of Nhs course completion.

I hope this makes sense and you can help.
Thank you

Hi Raspberry_Rush,

If the university notify us that confirmation of registration was sent in error it won't count as a year of study. You don't need to wait for them to do this to allow you to pay the money back.

If you have to apply again as a new student under the new funding rules for NHS courses your previous study won't affect your entitlement. Courses designated as NHS courses are 'exception courses'. This means students who already hold a degree or previous study can still access the full package of funding, this includes full means tested support and a tuition fee loan.

Regards,

Stuart

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending