The Student Room Group

How many teaching hours should we get?

I only ask because I am in year 3 now and from start of semester until Christmas, I just worked out I have a total of 60 contact hours. That's about 5 per week. I've included PT meetings and dissertation supervision in this.

I'm yet to speak to anybody who has as little teaching as this in 3rd year or any year as a full time student. I'm in a maximum of one day per week and some weeks just a couple of hours total. How can this be value for money at £9,250 per year?

That's £4,625 for the first half, or £77 per contact hour, obviously with the vast majority of this being in large groups.

Is it possible for me to make a complaint? Are they breaking any terms or rules here or can they just take your money then put in practically no effort into teaching you?
Reply 1
The onus is always on you to do the learning, staff aren't here at this level to spoon feed you, but to guide and clarify. You aren't just paying for contact time, but for access to facilities, marking and ultimately the accreditation etc. Whether or not you think this is value is a matter of opinion, I suppose! If you want to complain you could start with your staff-student liaison.

I didn't have much more than that in my final year, I didn't even have a dissertation meeting, haha!
Original post by skybluesam1986
I only ask because I am in year 3 now and from start of semester until Christmas, I just worked out I have a total of 60 contact hours. That's about 5 per week. I've included PT meetings and dissertation supervision in this.

I'm yet to speak to anybody who has as little teaching as this in 3rd year or any year as a full time student. I'm in a maximum of one day per week and some weeks just a couple of hours total. How can this be value for money at £9,250 per year?

That's £4,625 for the first half, or £77 per contact hour, obviously with the vast majority of this being in large groups.

Is it possible for me to make a complaint? Are they breaking any terms or rules here or can they just take your money then put in practically no effort into teaching you?

If you are non-STEM, your contact hours may be quite low. STEM students expect to have about 20-30 hours per week, except you study at a mediocre university.

For your situation, I suggest you speak with your tutor to understand the reason for the course to be structured that way. It would be better than making a formal complaint.

All the best.
(edited 6 years ago)
University is very different from school. You don't just turn up to lectures and expect to be told everything you need to know - it's down to you to put the hard work in. Tutors are there as more of a guidance figure rather than an actual teacher. All courses focus on the student doing their own research, especially in final year, you're expected to spend most of your time researching your dissertation and conducting your own experiments or analysis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending