The Student Room Group

Free time as a Law student?

I'm thinking of studying law in University in the UK, but all these horror stories of not having any downtime are concerning me. So how much free time does a law student typically find him/herself in? I do enjoy taking some time to myself whether it's passing the time with videogames or just sleeping.
Any response is appreciated, thanks.
A fair bit.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
A fair bit.

So, enough for one to keep his sanity I presume?
Original post by Fawazknaiver
So, enough for one to keep his sanity I presume?

I think so.

A word to the wise, you should stick with a pronoun throughout a sentence. Enough for one to keep one's sanity.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
I think so.

A word to the wise, you should stick with a pronoun throughout a sentence. Enough for one to keep one's sanity.

Ahh thank you, I am guilty of doing that sometimes
To be fair, in the pen-/ultimate year/s people begin to panic about post-grad life and spend pretty much all their time doing apps. The only reason they can afford to do this is ... well, panic. But also because they've developed time-management skills and optimised their study experience. After you have this down, you could use the remainder of your time doing apps or sleeping; it's up to the OP.

Also you do get used to being busy non-stop. After a while you are stressed out by peace and quiet.

Also John studies at LSE, so take his "we lowly non-Oxbridge people are not inundated with work" with a pinch of salt.
(edited 6 years ago)
Much appreciated, this has enlightened me more than I thought this blog post could have haha. I never really thought of additional responsibilities and community work but now I can see how consuming it could be.

Ideally, how early would one have to wake up to start a day of work? I do understand that this can be unreliable because of due dates and extra responsibilities etc.
Much appreciated, this has enlightened me more than I thought this blog post could have haha. I never really thought of additional responsibilities and community work but now I can see how consuming it could be.

Ideally, how early would one have to wake up to start a day of work? I do understand that this can be unreliable because of due dates and extra responsibilities etc.

A lot of international students have the most dysfunctional sleeping pattern imaginable, in order to stay in touch with friends in another time zone. There is no fixed time you should begin studying. Further, some people like to have a few hours of relaxing before studying and a few hours relaxing after studying. Some people would prefer to do it all in one bulk and then have their time for relaxation after. Some will study in 90 mins blocks. Some like to wake up at 6am because they feel like they've got a head start on the day and everyone else (kinda works, there's a reason the SAS does it).

There are non-international students who have ****ed-up sleeping patterns too, I should hasten to add. I used to wake up at 1pm, and start studying at about 9pm. Just as I was getting into the meat and gravy of the topic, it would be about 3am and everyone would be asleep. No distractions. It is not a healthy way of doing it, but it is a way. Particularly when cramming.
Reply 8
I'm thinking of studying law in University in the UK, but all these horror stories of not having any downtime are concerning me. So how much free time does a law student typically find him/herself in? I do enjoy taking some time to myself whether it's passing the time with videogames or just sleeping.
Any response is appreciated, thanks.

It's a balancing game. There will always be more to do, and the reading lists are literally endless if you're up for it.

Structure your studies well and you'll have free time too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending