The Student Room Group

There's a group of people in my class who hate me

I used to have my head down and focused on my studies. Because of this, I didn't often talk to people unless it was about the work. Nobody really approached me in a friendship kind of way, and I was absolutely fine with that.

My problem started last year, sometime at the beginning of the school year. One of the troublemakers in my class (who had been seated next to me in the previous year and talked to me normally) started throwing pencil lead or something of the sort at my back. It went on and on and on. I thought that he might stop if I ignored him. When it just didn't stop, and I was too angry to process what the teacher was saying, I turned around and yelled at him to stop, and the whole class went silent. Long story short, he got into trouble because of me and hated me ever since.

Throughout the past year he'd slipped snide remarks, snickers and pointed at me purposefully with all his mates. I didn't really care, because I had my head in the clouds I suppose. I was too busy struggling to regain the focus I lost.

Now, however, I've become much better at my studies and started taking in my surroundings properly again. What I noticed came as a bit of a shock; nobody has my back, and there is this slowly growing group of malignant tumours who are piercing said exposed back.

They don't look in my direction, not when I'm looking. But when I'm looking away, they mutter, snicker and stare at me (I can see it from the corner of my eye). When I get an answer wrong in class, they take the mick out of me but they never do it to anyone else who answers a question wrong. In fact if I do anything wrong they'll get over-excited about it. They almost glower at me if I make eye contact with them, or they sharply look away. It's weird, they treat me like I don't exist but somehow also openly slip in ways to critisize me.

I'm only stuck with them for roughly half a year more. In the meantime, however, I still have to deal with them. I want to show them I don't care, but I can't help looking in their direction when I hear one of their mutters, or going red when they laugh at my stupidity.

How should I act around them, to make them stop? In fact, how do I stop caring like I didn't care before?
I've been through the same thing since my first day of secondary and I still do even though I'm in year eleven, I ended up turning to writing songs as a way to let my emotions out and even started boxing so I could get my anger of them out, most of the time I know they only want attention.
You may be able to get rid of any emotions through anything you love to do and if not why not speak to a member of staff as I know people say you would be a snitch but you may feel safer knowing they can be stopped as the staff will only want to help you
Reply 2
let the school know
This is secondary school for you. **** happens and you can't do anything about it. I would just suggest you focus yourself on your studies and ignore them because you will eventually make friends with people of similar interests. It took me a whole year just to know some people through sports clubs etc and then a few more months before I was close with anyone. Seems like a long time but times flies :wink:
Reply 4
Clock the bugger in the face, assert your dominance!
Just keep your head down and it will be over before you realise it.
Reply 6
Thanks everyone for your help, things have started to get a lot better now :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by qam
let the school know

Might as well tell it to a brick wall, schools are useless at solving issues like this, from experience
Reply 8
Like the first post said, take your anger out on something that makes you feel better I.e. boxing, martial arts or even the gym!
keep your head down and you do you because my friend they’re just jealous that you have your s**t together. Keep winning.
Reply 9
Don't let it get to you. As others have said, ignore them and focus on your studied. Think about how, if you don't pay attention to what they say, you're being the better person, because you're not participating in their childish mockery. Some people that are worth your time will eventually come around, and until then, you can surely find a place on which you can fall back on (this could be anything, from your family to this forum, or other forums, etc).
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous
I used to have my head down and focused on my studies. Because of this, I didn't often talk to people unless it was about the work. Nobody really approached me in a friendship kind of way, and I was absolutely fine with that.

My problem started last year, sometime at the beginning of the school year. One of the troublemakers in my class (who had been seated next to me in the previous year and talked to me normally) started throwing pencil lead or something of the sort at my back. It went on and on and on. I thought that he might stop if I ignored him. When it just didn't stop, and I was too angry to process what the teacher was saying, I turned around and yelled at him to stop, and the whole class went silent. Long story short, he got into trouble because of me and hated me ever since.

Throughout the past year he'd slipped snide remarks, snickers and pointed at me purposefully with all his mates. I didn't really care, because I had my head in the clouds I suppose. I was too busy struggling to regain the focus I lost.

Now, however, I've become much better at my studies and started taking in my surroundings properly again. What I noticed came as a bit of a shock; nobody has my back, and there is this slowly growing group of malignant tumours who are piercing said exposed back.

They don't look in my direction, not when I'm looking. But when I'm looking away, they mutter, snicker and stare at me (I can see it from the corner of my eye). When I get an answer wrong in class, they take the mick out of me but they never do it to anyone else who answers a question wrong. In fact if I do anything wrong they'll get over-excited about it. They almost glower at me if I make eye contact with them, or they sharply look away. It's weird, they treat me like I don't exist but somehow also openly slip in ways to critisize me.

I'm only stuck with them for roughly half a year more. In the meantime, however, I still have to deal with them. I want to show them I don't care, but I can't help looking in their direction when I hear one of their mutters, or going red when they laugh at my stupidity.

How should I act around them, to make them stop? In fact, how do I stop caring like I didn't care before?

Idiots like them exist. You're better than them and the only goals you have is your FUTURE. They're going to be failures you, on the other hand, are going to SHINE! Forget them, hold your head high. If you get the answer wrong, shrug it off act like you don't care. Because you learn from mistakes. The time with them will fly by and you'll be passing your exams. Good luck and hopefully they will stop being idiots and annoying you.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending