The Student Room Group

Long Term Emotions After Breakup

Hi all,

This isn't really looking for a solution, more looking to see if what I'm experiencing is normal.

As background I'd had a girlfriend at sixth form who I was with for a year and a half, before a amicable and mutual breakup, which hurt, but was fine after a few months.

I was not planning on actively looking for any relationship at uni and didn't want to enter one except for special exception... And I felt one had come along, we talked for months and months just as close friends, and we could both feel it coming. We dated for six months. In these six months my feelings for her never became less, however I could see she was spending less and less time with me, and more and more time with another guy. In the end she spent no time with me, and almost all her time with this other guy. I always made it clear I didn't mind her having close guy friends or w/e, I like to think I'm chilled out about that stuff, but I did bring up concerns once or twice. Then one day she came over, broke up with me as nicely as she could, said she couldn't give a reason, but that she just didn't feel like that towards me anymore. I tried to fight for her while respecting her for about a week, but in the end I gave up and honoured her decision.

That was almost 6 months ago. And I know it sound cliché but I honestly haven't had a day where she hasn't popped into my head for anywhere from half a minute to hours.

I want to know how long people have thought about their ex's daily for after a rough breakup, and along those lines, whether this is normal do people think?

Thanks,
Cas
Reply 1
My last one plagued me for a good 8 months after we were done. Still does every now and again, but it's nowhere near as frequent. We were together longer though and it ended very, very badly, so I had some unresolved issues I guess.
The deeper the relationship the longer it takes is a good rule of thumb.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending