The Student Room Group

House mate slams doors like its going out of fashion

I've mentioned it to them before and they've said its because their door is hard to shut so they have to slam it, but then the slamming stopped for a week or so...

It's started again, and wakes me up every night without fail at 1/2am. I've bought earplugs but the only ones that work are quite expensive - £2.50ish a week. So this costs me £10 a month.

The thing is, this housemate gets a kick out of making life harder for everyone else. There has been tension before because of them being unreasonable (e.g. telling other housemates to f*** off), so if I raise it again I feel like they'll do it even more. They go to bed at 2am and wake up at 11-12ish every day, whereas I get up at 7 and go to bed at 10/11pm... they generally refuse to talk to me in person except from saying 'hello'.

Not sure what to do 😬
I'm not sure you've used that expression correctly :smile:
Reply 2
You're probably right, but you get the point, lol
Reply 3
Talk to your other housemates about this person's behaviour, not just the door slamming, and arrange to sit down as a group and talk about it. Make it clear the behaviour needs to change, but make sure it's a discussion. If anyone else has any problems with anyone's behavior it could be a good time to air them and create a set of rules of behaviour.
Having said all that, I'm dyspraxic so I slam doors all the time without realising I'm doing it, make sure there's nothing like that happening.
Is there a way you can make the door close more easily? Maybe putting some oil on the angles? That is a practical way to get a conversation about door slamming started. If your house mate slams the door to provoke you, it won't help. but maybe he does not realize that you wake up every day. Try to tell him without accusations and he might change his behaviour.
If there is a problem with the door, they should just talk to the landlord and get them to sort it.
Threaten them
Reply 7
Thanks for the replies. The thing is, I don't think there's actually anything wrong with the door except that he can't be bothered to close it with the handle, so he just slams it. Offering to fix it is a good suggestion (thanks for that) but... they're very paranoid/confrontational, hence why I don't initiate conversation, as they take offence to me saying hello. In a similar situation they told me to 'f*** off', and 'refused' to participate in a group discussion.

I guess the question this leads to is how to deal with a housemate who clearly doesn't give a monkeys about how their habits affect others...
Original post by Anonymous
I've mentioned it to them before and they've said its because their door is hard to shut so they have to slam it, but then the slamming stopped for a week or so...

It's started again, and wakes me up every night without fail at 1/2am. I've bought earplugs but the only ones that work are quite expensive - £2.50ish a week. So this costs me £10 a month.

The thing is, this housemate gets a kick out of making life harder for everyone else. There has been tension before because of them being unreasonable (e.g. telling other housemates to f*** off), so if I raise it again I feel like they'll do it even more. They go to bed at 2am and wake up at 11-12ish every day, whereas I get up at 7 and go to bed at 10/11pm... they generally refuse to talk to me in person except from saying 'hello'.

Not sure what to do 😬

Take the door off it’s hinges while he is out, or challenge him to a duel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending