The Student Room Group

Money money money!!

Hey all :smile:
I'm 20, and am applying for uni - I will be 21 when I start. I am planning to live privately with my partner and wolf-dog, and I don't quite understand the finance side of things in terms of how SF make their decisions. I am estranged from my mother, and my father's earnings would probably exceed the maximum required earnings for me to get finance for living costs. I have read that once you claim the earnings of a parent, SF will automatically assume that the parent is able/willing to support you during uni - which seems incredibly unfair? Firstly, despite the fact that my father probably does earn more than average, his debts etc are so astronomical that he never sees any of that money. Secondly, I'll be 21, even if he was able to support me he wouldn't be willing. How do I get around this and get financial support if they're simply going to assume that he will support me because of his earnings?!
Thanks in advance.
Peace, Love and Light <3
Original post by Wolf.Mamma
Hey all :smile:
I'm 20, and am applying for uni - I will be 21 when I start. I am planning to live privately with my partner and wolf-dog, and I don't quite understand the finance side of things in terms of how SF make their decisions. I am estranged from my mother, and my father's earnings would probably exceed the maximum required earnings for me to get finance for living costs. I have read that once you claim the earnings of a parent, SF will automatically assume that the parent is able/willing to support you during uni - which seems incredibly unfair? Firstly, despite the fact that my father probably does earn more than average, his debts etc are so astronomical that he never sees any of that money. Secondly, I'll be 21, even if he was able to support me he wouldn't be willing. How do I get around this and get financial support if they're simply going to assume that he will support me because of his earnings?!
Thanks in advance.
Peace, Love and Light <3

Hi Wolf.Mamma,

Under current Student Finance England regulations you will be classed as a Dependent Student until the age of 25 unless you meet on of the following:

Under 25 and married before the start of the academic year (1st September)

25 or over

Widowed

Divorced / separated

Under 25 and divorced / separated

Have care of a person under the age of 18 on the first day of the academic year?

3 years self support (Full evidence required showing you have supported yourself financially for 36 months prior to the start of your course) - the 3 years self support does not need to be consecutive years.*

It is impossible or impracticable to get in touch with your parents

Both sponsors have passed away

Irreconcilably estranged from both biological parents

From the age of 16 to the start of students course, they have not been under the legal care of their parents (for three months or more you have been in the custody or legal care of, or have been given accommodation by, a local authority)

Your parents are living outside the European Union and the assessment of their financial circumstances would put them in jeopardy

*If you are under 25, supported yourself for more than 3 years and currently living with a partner, your partner will not need to support your application unless you are married.Regards Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending