The Student Room Group

Should i be reimbursed for my travel from work?

I worked a close last week and we got out late. Because of this i missed my last bus (i need to get two busses on the journey) home and i had no other way of getting home except a taxi. I dont think i will be paid for the overtime i have worked, but the taxi cost over £10, should work reimburse me for these travel expenses since i missed my bus because i had to stay late? I have a reciept for my taxi just incase
Ask your boss :smile:
Original post by rechodaly
I worked a close last week and we got out late. Because of this i missed my last bus (i need to get two busses on the journey) home and i had no other way of getting home except a taxi. I dont think i will be paid for the overtime i have worked, but the taxi cost over £10, should work reimburse me for these travel expenses since i missed my bus because i had to stay late? I have a reciept for my taxi just incase

Ask your boss but I would assume not as you dont get paid to travel to and from work, if you knew you were working a close then you should assume you may finish a bit late and make other arrangements, its not the bosses fault the bus doesnt run later
Reply 3
I work in a bar and when we finish too late for buses we do get taxis paid for. It’s hard to say without knowing what job it is but if your boss is a decent person they should reimburse you.

Personally if I was in your position and they refused I’d either start looking for a new job or change my availability (tell them you are unable to work a close as there is a risk you cannot get home)
If you accepted the job knowing that you'd have to work a close when public transport wasn't running, it's up to you to find your own transport home, whether that's a lift, walking or a taxi. If you didn't expect to be working that late, however, it's unfair and you should speak to a manager about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending