The Student Room Group

maintenance loan eligibility for next year

I was wondering whether i will be able to get a maintenance loan for next year. I am currently studying on a thin-sandwich degree. For the first half of next year, I'll be studying through Erasmus until the end of semester 1. Then after Christmas, my placement module starts which means I'll be doing a placement (probably abroad). Therefore, I was wondering whether I am still eligible to receive a maintenance loan as I won't be studying on my university campus at all but I'll still be enrolled in the course. The year after I'll be back on campus for the whole year (final year).

Thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by anthrostudent3
I was wondering whether i will be able to get a maintenance loan for next year. I am currently studying on a thin-sandwich degree. For the first half of next year, I'll be studying through Erasmus until the end of semester 1. Then after Christmas, my placement module starts which means I'll be doing a placement (probably abroad). Therefore, I was wondering whether I am still eligible to receive a maintenance loan as I won't be studying on my university campus at all but I'll still be enrolled in the course. The year after I'll be back on campus for the whole year (final year).

Thanks for your help :smile:

Hi Anthristudent3,

I just need to ask a couple of questions in order to help you there.

Will you be studying through Erasmus until after December?
When you go on placement after that, will it be paid or unpaid?
What kind of placement will it be? (for example, in a hospital).

Thank you,

John.
Original post by John B SFE
Hi Anthristudent3,

I just need to ask a couple of questions in order to help you there.

Will you be studying through Erasmus until after December?
When you go on placement after that, will it be paid or unpaid?
What kind of placement will it be? (for example, in a hospital).

Thank you,

John.

hi,

i'll be studying in Vienna from October to January 31st (), although i'll be taking a introductory German course that the university runs from the beginning of September.

the placement will be unpaid. I'm not sure exactly what placement i'll be doing but probably volunteering somewhere at a school or something similar.
hi,

i'll be studying in Vienna from October to January 31st (), although i'll be taking a introductory German course that the university runs from the beginning of September.

the placement will be unpaid. I'm not sure exactly what placement i'll be doing but probably volunteering somewhere at a school or something similar.

Hi anthrostudent3,

I understand that you are undertaking study through erasmus till January, can I ask is it an Erasmus placement ?

Secondly if not, is the placement an integral part of the course?

Finally how much if any fees is the university charging you for the academic year abroad?

Thanks Rona
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi anthrostudent3,

I understand that you are undertaking study through erasmus till January, can I ask is it an Erasmus placement ?

Secondly if not, is the placement an integral part of the course?

Finally how much if any fees is the university charging you for the academic year abroad?

Thanks Rona

hi,
i don't think it is an erasmus placement. it would be an alternative to studying for the first term at my current university. The only reason why i would be studying till January is because the term at the university of Vienna is different to that of the UK- it starts at the beginning of October and finishes at the end of January. At the moment, i am theoretically going to study through as erasmus as i have not applied yet- my decision is dependent on whether i get a maintenance loan or not.

The placement is an integral part of my course.

I believe that the university will charge me £1000 for the year as it is technically the placement year (the 3rd year)- although my placement section is split between two terms, as it's a thin sandwich course.

Thank you for your help
hi,
i don't think it is an erasmus placement. it would be an alternative to studying for the first term at my current university. The only reason why i would be studying till January is because the term at the university of Vienna is different to that of the UK- it starts at the beginning of October and finishes at the end of January. At the moment, i am theoretically going to study through as erasmus as i have not applied yet- my decision is dependent on whether i get a maintenance loan or not.

The placement is an integral part of my course.

I believe that the university will charge me £1000 for the year as it is technically the placement year (the 3rd year)- although my placement section is split between two terms, as it's a thin sandwich course.

Thank you for your help

Hi anthrostudent3,

If you are on an Erasmus abroad year, you will be assesed at the abroad rate Meanstested Maintenance Loan and can apply for the Travel Grant.

Customers who are on a paid placement under ERASMUS will still receive the full ERASMUS funding

The amount the customer receive will depend on their placement type and when/where the placement takes place.

Placements abroad are assessed as placement not study & therefore will not be awarded the abroad rate of Maintenance Loan. However if a student is attending a placement at a university abroad they will be entitled to the same package of support to those students studying at a university abroad.

A Placement abroad currently attracts a Non Income Assessed, Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan and no travel grant.

The applications will become available shortly, by the end of this month.

I suggest that you apply as early as possible, in order that your support can be calculated as undertaking a bit of both in the same academic year.

Regards Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending