The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Official 2018 Cambridge Postgraduate Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jrcanada
Well, it has been a long journey but I am just awaiting the final “Confirmed” stage on my offer. It’s been a nerve wracking 4 months as I finished my undergrad and came up just shy of the GPA requirement; thankfully everything went through.

Looking forward to joining fellow Hughesians or anyone studying the MPhil Innovation Strategy and Organization at JBS!! If only some funding came through now 😂

congrats fellow hughesian :smile:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by jrcanada
It says on Self-Serve that it takes up to 5 days “once the conditions disappear from the page”. Today is either day 0 or day 1, I’ll let you know when it happens! (Being in Canada, everything changes during the middle of the night leaving surprises every morning haha)

Yeah, it has been quite 2 days since all the conditions in my page have been completed, so I’m waiting them to totally disappear for my place at Cambridge get confirmed.

OK, keep in touch on latest news:wink:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by simsana
Yeah, it has been quite 2 days since all the conditions in my page have been completed, so I’m waiting them to totally disappear for my place at Cambridge get confirmed.

OK, keep in touch on latest news:wink:

Mine was confirmed this morning!
Hi,I´ve got an offer with the condition that I get a 67% on my Masters degree. The problem is my Masters doesn´t use numerical criteria, only F,P,D and there is no way they can differentiate a Pass which is 50 or 69. I don´t think I´ll manage to get a Distinction, which advice could you guys offer: 1) Rearrange a more suitable criteria with Admissions office2) Or let it be and see if a P is enough to credit a 67%Thank you for your time.
Hello guys,

I´ve got an offer with the condition that I get a 67% in my Masters degree. My current University doesn´t use numerical criteria at all, only uses Fail,Pass and Distinction. I won´t be getting a D so which one of the two ways of procedure would you recommend:

1) Ask for a more suitable condition based on my marking criteria
2) Let it be and hope that they will take the P as a 67%

Note that my P can easily be a 50 or a 69.
Thank you for your time.
Oi!

An EU student here. I was accepted at Girton and when I asked about the costs of living (because the doc they sent us says the cost does not include maintenance), they told me it does and that it is an estimate, not what everyone ends up paying. So, I was wondering if anyone's looking into living off campus on their own and whether it's financially significantly better than living in a college room? If yes, I'm down to room with ya! :-)
My landlord asked me for a rough figure for when I’ll be moving out. My acceptance says my course starts on October the first and Magdalene hasn’t given me any indication of when I can or cannot move in (I still haven’t completed the financial undertaking or been offered a room). I was wondering whether anyone could provide a rough guess of whether I should make my way to Cambridge a few days before October the first or should be the a week or two in advance? What have people heard or done in the past? Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by jzapletal
Oi!

An EU student here. I was accepted at Girton and when I asked about the costs of living (because the doc they sent us says the cost does not include maintenance), they told me it does and that it is an estimate, not what everyone ends up paying. So, I was wondering if anyone's looking into living off campus on their own and whether it's financially significantly better than living in a college room? If yes, I'm down to room with ya! :-)

Hi, I've been accepted at Girton too, for the Latin American Studies PhD, and had been thinking about living off campus as well, because Girton is not only quite far from central Cambridge but also v expensive. However, I'm quite uncertain about not being able to see any room before renting it or meeting any potential roommates, etc.. So, yeah.. I need to think about it.

Have you received any communication from Girton regarding accommodation? I did sign up with them, and I've already confirmed my place at Cambridge, but still waiting to hear any news.
Original post by emartinez103
Hello guys,

I´ve got an offer with the condition that I get a 67% in my Masters degree. My current University doesn´t use numerical criteria at all, only uses Fail,Pass and Distinction. I won´t be getting a D so which one of the two ways of procedure would you recommend:

1) Ask for a more suitable condition based on my marking criteria
2) Let it be and hope that they will take the P as a 67%

Note that my P can easily be a 50 or a 69.
Thank you for your time.

I'd go back to admissions and explain your grading system in more detail and ask them what their offer is based on the grading details your institution is prepared to give- better to find out now than in a rush later on.
Original post by jzapletal
Oi!

Generally, College is cheaper than town. It's also more that cost in your first year. Unless you are uber confident about the UK, Cambridge, studying, managing your life, domestic bills etc then spending your first year in the relatively sheltered/supported environment of College where heating, lighting, electricity, food, welfare needs, internet, social life etc are all laid on is generally worth more than a few hundred quid of possible saving.
Original post by fofomorse
My landlord asked me for a rough figure for when I’ll be moving out. My acceptance says my course starts on October the first and Magdalene hasn’t given me any indication of when I can or cannot move in (I still haven’t completed the financial undertaking or been offered a room). I was wondering whether anyone could provide a rough guess of whether I should make my way to Cambridge a few days before October the first or should be the a week or two in advance? What have people heard or done in the past? Thanks in advance :smile:

You are likely to be able to move into College on the Saturday, perhaps the Friday before the start of term, so 28/29 September. It is unusual for a course to properly start on 1 October, usually 1 is for matriculation in College and maybe signing on in the department to register your arrival. Tuesday Freshers fair, maybe half a day in the department doing induction stuff, Wednesday Freshers fair and visiting the UL, or more paperwork/admin in the department and College, then Thursday lectures start. The academic week in Cambridge starts on a Thursday because.
I just had a confirmation that two recommendations from my department for my admission had been sent to the Faculty’s degree committee for review. They should meet in the coming days and I should have an answer by the end of next week or the beginning of the one after. Apparently they make decisions on the basis of these recommendations, whether offers or rejections. Anyone at that stage or who knows more about it?
Original post by Poliorketes
I just had a confirmation that two recommendations from my department for my admission had been sent to the Faculty’s degree committee for review. They should meet in the coming days and I should have an answer by the end of next week or the beginning of the one after. Apparently they make decisions on the basis of these recommendations, whether offers or rejections. Anyone at that stage or who knows more about it?

They benchmark applications between the various degree programmes they manage. So if MPhil A has a particularly strong cohort and MPhil B has a slightly weaker cohort, then they might vire a few places from B to A, which would mean rejecting MPhil B candidates who had made it to this stage. It's not a certainty, but there's a stronger likelihood of getting through this stage.
Original post by threeportdrift
They benchmark applications between the various degree programmes they manage. So if MPhil A has a particularly strong cohort and MPhil B has a slightly weaker cohort, then they might vire a few places from B to A, which would mean rejecting MPhil B candidates who had made it to this stage. It's not a certainty, but there's a stronger likelihood of getting through this stage.

And that would stand for the different MPhils of one department?
And that would stand for the different MPhils of one department?

Yes, exactly that.
Yes, exactly that.

No matter how small the MPhil is compared to the rest of the department or even the university?
I mean would they run the risk of losing their only applicant to an MPhil because he is weaker than the rest of the department?
No matter how small the MPhil is compared to the rest of the department or even the university?
I mean would they run the risk of losing their only applicant to an MPhil because he is weaker than the rest of the department?

Because running the course with only one applicant is financial nonsense? Because Cambridge is about academic excellence? The smaller the course, the more chance they wouldn't run it unless the academic quality was stellar, financially it wouldn't make sense unless you could recoup elsewhere with academically excellent student. Cambridge never 'makes up the numbers' it vires numbers to accept quality elsewhere.
Because running the course with only one applicant is financial nonsense? Because Cambridge is about academic excellence? The smaller the course, the more chance they wouldn't run it unless the academic quality was stellar, financially it wouldn't make sense unless you could recoup elsewhere with academically excellent student. Cambridge never 'makes up the numbers' it vires numbers to accept quality elsewhere.

Makes sense. That’s what I’m afraid of. My department liked my research proposal and my work but my grades aren’t the highest by any means, a mixing of high and low 2:1, so I’m apprehending the part where they’ll judge mere academics, regardless of the richness that may lie beside.
Have an offer of 67% for my MPhil degree. Does any one know how strict they are with this? Got my provisional results today and I know I've gotten a 2:1 which I'm personally very happy with, but I don't know what the percentage is yet (67 is a high 2:1, my faculty have told me). I find out in two week's time, and based on how I feel I've done I feel like I've hit the mark, but what happens if I miss it by a few marks or so?
I'm in exactly the same position as you! All confirmed just wishfully hoping some funding might come through so that I don't have to do it entirely on loans/family help. I'm doing archaeology at John's but i'm also coming from Canada! I'm hoping there might be a way for Canadian students to get together at some point, I'd love to meet some others!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending