The Student Room Group

A Level Essay Plan

For the record, I do Tsarist and Communist Russia as well as Wars of the Roses. Currently at AS level.

I'm just going through notes and making a condensed set, and I want to write up lots of essay plans for each major event or figure (for Wars of the Roses) and the same for Russia but more thematically.

It is just quite difficult to do essay plans for Wars of the Roses - I don't really know what sort of essays they can throw at me. Take for example a battle, what sort of essays should I prepare for? At GCSE I had a plan for every 10 marker that could come up that let me get full marks in both exams but it feels impossible to prepare for the essays now since it is a lot less predictable. Is there certain key things I could prepare for (like for example preparing an essay for each battle for the question How did the Battle of _____ cause instability) or is there no real way to do this at A Level?

Cheers
Original post by phosphene
For the record, I do Tsarist and Communist Russia as well as Wars of the Roses. Currently at AS level.

I'm just going through notes and making a condensed set, and I want to write up lots of essay plans for each major event or figure (for Wars of the Roses) and the same for Russia but more thematically.

It is just quite difficult to do essay plans for Wars of the Roses - I don't really know what sort of essays they can throw at me. Take for example a battle, what sort of essays should I prepare for? At GCSE I had a plan for every 10 marker that could come up that let me get full marks in both exams but it feels impossible to prepare for the essays now since it is a lot less predictable. Is there certain key things I could prepare for (like for example preparing an essay for each battle for the question How did the Battle of _____ cause instability) or is there no real way to do this at A Level?

Cheers

Download past papers and see for yourself.

A decent set of notes plus mind maps is more flexible imo.

History is about understanding events and being able to provide a response to the question being asked. I wouldnt plan essays as it feels too restrictive and you can then lead to write the answer you want instead of the one they want.

Not the approach I would take.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending