The Student Room Group

Diarrhea and taking the pill

Hi. I have had runny stools since last night. I took my pill 1.5hrs later than usual because of it. But I still feel unwell. Do I need to re-take my pill?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi. I have had runny stools since last night. I took my pill 1.5hrs later than usual because of it. But I still feel unwell. Do I need to re-take my pill?

It ll say how long it would be before you need to take it again in the leaflet.
And if you're worried, talk to your GP or a pharmacist.
Reply 3
Thanks. I'm just going to take an extra one today to be on the safe side
the answer is no to taking the extra pill. diarrhoea doesn't really affect pill. if it's the combined pill you can take it up to 24 hours late (i.e. two pills together the morning after your missed pill) and you're still protected. if it's the minipill (assuming it's not desogestrel/cerazette/cerelle) then within 3 hours means you're fine or within 12 hours if it's desogestrel etc.
Reply 5
Original post by RosaPonselle
the answer is no to taking the extra pill. diarrhoea doesn't really affect pill. if it's the combined pill you can take it up to 24 hours late (i.e. two pills together the morning after your missed pill) and you're still protected. if it's the minipill (assuming it's not desogestrel/cerazette/cerelle) then within 3 hours means you're fine or within 12 hours if it's desogestrel etc.

Thanks I took 2 together the following day as I have the combined pill

Quick Reply

Latest