The Student Room Group

first cars

hi.

I recently passed my test on the 28th of march 2018 and I only had 3 minors and I'm looking for a car that reliable to drive and also to insure. I'm also looking for the car to be between a 1.o litre and the max 1.2litre, can anybody help me?

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

you need a vauxhall, i think thats also the only engines they are produced in.

cost effective, first car reality, low insurance.
Original post by JoshBirch18
hi.

I recently passed my test on the 28th of march 2018 and I only had 3 minors and I'm looking for a car that reliable to drive and also to insure. I'm also looking for the car to be between a 1.o litre and the max 1.2litre, can anybody help me?

Thank you

Ford fiesta? Ford KA? Aygo GO! is a great run round
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
I would say go for an low powered engine which will get you low insurance. I had an corsa 1.2 for my first car and now in process of buying a BMW 1 or 3 series for my second car.
(edited 6 years ago)
Vauxhall Corsa
Nissan micra
Citroen c1
Ford KA
Peugeot 102
Toyota Aygo
Fiat 500
Volkswagen UP

Those all have pretty small engines so would be cheaper on road tax and to insure/run generally. Great for inner city driving but maybe not so good if you do loads of long journeys - ford fiesta seems to be quite a good all rounder if you’re looking for something slightly larger, or I’ve heard a seat Ibiza is nice.
Reply 5
Don't rule out all cars above 1.2, a 1.6 turbo corsa was cheaper to insure than a 1.2 corsa for me. What's your budget and we can all probably make more suggestions based on that.
hi.

Thank you

Nissan micra, hyundai getz, hyundai i20, kia picanto
Reply 7
you have to get a VW polo. They are small, cheap, reliable and spacious
Reply 8
Peugeot and Citroen cars (PSA) I found were the cheapest to purchase + insure. I think it's because they have some of the cheapest parts, and they tend to depreciate very heavily. Also they tend to be pretty reliable and rust-free. The old TU engines (they have been phased out now, but can be found in 207, C3 II and earlier back to the 80's) were very reliable engines known for going on forever and needing minimal work. The newer engines I would avoid, at least in higher mileage cars.

Vauxhall Corsas, despite me never being able to get on with them, also have a good reputation. They are inexpensive and reliable, although I always found them unexciting and a bit unpleasant.

Also don't count out higher displacement cars, often the insurance between a 1.0 and 1.4 isn't that different (occasionally higher displacement will be cheaper). And if you find a great deal on say a 1.6L, even if insurance is more expensive the overall cost may come out to not be significantly more expensive than a regular priced 1.2L. You'll definitely thank yourself with the extra few horsepower!
Reply 9
Original post by Ammi6543
Peugeot and Citroen cars (PSA) I found were the cheapest to purchase + insure. I think it's because they have some of the cheapest parts, and they tend to depreciate very heavily. Also they tend to be pretty reliable and rust-free. The old TU engines (they have been phased out now, but can be found in 207, C3 II and earlier back to the 80's) were very reliable engines known for going on forever and needing minimal work. The newer engines I would avoid, at least in higher mileage cars.

Vauxhall Corsas, despite me never being able to get on with them, also have a good reputation. They are inexpensive and reliable, although I always found them unexciting and a bit unpleasant.

Also don't count out higher displacement cars, often the insurance between a 1.0 and 1.4 isn't that different (occasionally higher displacement will be cheaper). And if you find a great deal on say a 1.6L, even if insurance is more expensive the overall cost may come out to not be significantly more expensive than a regular priced 1.2L. You'll definitely thank yourself with the extra few horsepower!

Peugeot's don't rust? Corsas have a good reputation? Are you okay there mate?
Original post by IWMTom

PRSOM

As always - I always heartily endorse any of these: Mitsubishi Colt, Seat Ibiza, Ford Fiesta. Three good cheap cars (I filled my fiesta's tank for £45 last month premium unleaded and it lasted the whole month, but I only went to work and back and it spent almost a week in a garage having a dent repaired).

Corsas are Russian roulette, Peugeots I always take the mick out of but really a 207 isn't the worst thing you can own, if it drives and it's cheap who cares really, VW Polo/Up also good picks.
Original post by IWMTom

Original post by nevershear
PRSOM

As always - I always heartily endorse any of these: Mitsubishi Colt, Seat Ibiza, Ford Fiesta. Three good cheap cars (I filled my fiesta's tank for £45 last month premium unleaded and it lasted the whole month, but I only went to work and back and it spent almost a week in a garage having a dent repaired).

Corsas are Russian roulette, Peugeots I always take the mick out of but really a 207 isn't the worst thing you can own, if it drives and it's cheap who cares really, VW Polo/Up also good picks.

Corsa h8’ers.

Go for a Corsa or a Polo.

Original post by SB8999
Don't rule out all cars above 1.2, a 1.6 turbo corsa was cheaper to insure than a 1.2 corsa for me. What's your budget and we can all probably make more suggestions based on that.

How does this work then...
hi.

Thank you

Toyota Aygo/Peugeot 107/Citroen C1

All the same car really (and all made by Toyota) Group 1 for insurance, cheaper to drive than the hybrid I used to drive, super cheap to buy, cheap to run, I've seen some on the motorways etc.. The only issue is that their boot space is a tad small. Other than that they are great first cars.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Corsa h8’ers.

Considering that he's just 17 and hasn't got a license, I'd take this with a pinch of salt.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=76648018 (Actual hyperlink, I messed up above)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Corsa h8’ers.

It only costs me 1400 to insure my corsa sri that has a 1.6 turbo engine. A standard 1.2 corsa was 1600 to insure. I don't know how and why but I thought it would be stupid to pay more money for a worse car.
Reply 15
Considering that he's just 17 and hasn't got a license, I'd take this with a pinch of salt.

If you're on about me, yes i am 17 and yes i do have a license. And i asked a relevant question about the OP's budget to direct him a bit better in the way of what car he could buy. But then again i'm only 17 so what would I know?
Original post by SB8999
If you're on about me, yes i am 17 and yes i do have a license. And i asked a relevant question about the OP's budget to direct him a bit better in the way of what car he could buy. But then again i'm only 17 so what would I know?

Oh wait I remember you now, the person with the Drive Like a Girl blackbox. Sorry, thought you were someone else.

But ye, even if you can get insured on a 1.6t SRI, it doesn't mean you should. So it still isn't fantastic advice.

Also @RoyalSheepy - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5255480
Reply 17
Oh wait I remember you now, the person with the Drive Like a Girl blackbox. Sorry, thought you were someone else.

But ye, even if you can get insured on a 1.6t SRI, it doesn't mean you should. So it still isn't fantastic advice.

I wasn't trying to suggest buying exactly what I have, it was just to demonstrate that a car with a small engine is not necessarily a cheaper car to insure. I only bought that car because it was cheaper and I liked the idea of the car itself.
Original post by SB8999
It only costs me 1400 to insure my corsa sri that has a 1.6 turbo engine. A standard 1.2 corsa was 1600 to insure. I don't know how and why but I thought it would be stupid to pay more money for a worse car.

Strange... Are you sure you ran quotes for both cars from the same insurance company, with the same spec policy?

"Drive like a girl" :rofl:
bmw 1 series :wink:))

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending