The Student Room Group

Nostalgic depression

I can't help it but feel so down all the time. I get so nostalgic about things that haven't even happened yet. I get nostalgic about school as I can't face the idea of leaving it. I try to find a reason to comfort myself, but the uncomforting ideas override it all the time. I feel upon leaving and after leaving I will feel so depressed and sad as 'the best years' of my life are finished and they went by soo quick.

So my problem is, these feelings are extremely negative - and I feel sad/depressed all the time I think about them, and I feel as I haven't even left school yet but the emotions are so strong, I fear when I do actually leave they will be 100x stronger. Thus again, my point being I'm scared of the strong pain and emotions being too strong eventually leading me to bad thoughts if you catch my drift and in my mind I go into denial about that, but I know how bad these emotions are. I feel a twisting pain of sadness, so painful especially when I reminisce about old times at school and them coming to an end. I also vision stuff like future reunions, and imaging everyone into their fifties, and wishing I could be young again, and it makes me sad. I think I will miss being a kid and being the youngest.

You see what I mean though, it goes so so deep. I'm thinking about reunions when i'm 50, but Im still only 17 and this **** if ****ing with my mind. I wish these nostalgic pains would go away. I feel like I am John Keats, but instead wishing I was eternally living in my youth. I really hate this pain, and just want it to go away. I wish I din't love school like I do, I wish i could be like my friends, who are excited to leave. I don't want to feel sad anymore.

I can't stop my mind drifting into thinking about nostalgic situations. I constantly keep imaging the present and think about how I will be reminiscing about these moments in years to come and I'm sad that these times are finishing. My future self is envious of my current self. I feel I'm just only starting to really appreciate school, and it's when I'm leaving.
Original post by Anonymous
I can't help it but feel so down all the time. I get so nostalgic about things that haven't even happened yet. I get nostalgic about school as I can't face the idea of leaving it. I try to find a reason to comfort myself, but the uncomforting ideas override it all the time. I feel upon leaving and after leaving I will feel so depressed and sad as 'the best years' of my life are finished and they went by soo quick.

So my problem is, these feelings are extremely negative - and I feel sad/depressed all the time I think about them, and I feel as I haven't even left school yet but the emotions are so strong, I fear when I do actually leave they will be 100x stronger. Thus again, my point being I'm scared of the strong pain and emotions being too strong eventually leading me to bad thoughts if you catch my drift and in my mind I go into denial about that, but I know how bad these emotions are. I feel a twisting pain of sadness, so painful especially when I reminisce about old times at school and them coming to an end. I also vision stuff like future reunions, and imaging everyone into their fifties, and wishing I could be young again, and it makes me sad. I think I will miss being a kid and being the youngest.

You see what I mean though, it goes so so deep. I'm thinking about reunions when i'm 50, but Im still only 17 and this **** if ****ing with my mind. I wish these nostalgic pains would go away. I feel like I am John Keats, but instead wishing I was eternally living in my youth. I really hate this pain, and just want it to go away. I wish I din't love school like I do, I wish i could be like my friends, who are excited to leave. I don't want to feel sad anymore.

I can't stop my mind drifting into thinking about nostalgic situations. I constantly keep imaging the present and think about how I will be reminiscing about these moments in years to come and I'm sad that these times are finishing. My future self is envious of my current self. I feel I'm just only starting to really appreciate school, and it's when I'm leaving.

Damn... im in uni and LET ME TELL YOU what id do to go back and redo all of secondary and sixthform.
I still feel bummy since i hate uni and hate being an adult
But at the end of the day life is temporary and theres no point me dwelling on the past.
Try not waste your days getting depressed because you want to live in the moment and make everyday productive and even a memory.
When you are 50 you say youre going to want to be 15 again. And when you are 70 you are going to want to be 17 again.
But if you waste your days being a 17 and depressed then thats not a good stage in your life you are going to want to remember and look back on.

So as someone who wishes i could be that care free age of 17 where you have no idea where the hell your life is heading, all you care about is your friends, your pet andgood music, one of my biggest regrets is not taking advantage of being a kid

I mean do something wild you cant get arrested since your not 18 ahaaa, make memories, just be HAPPY
Try not to care too much. Dont think too hard. Smash your exams and just enjoy school while it lasts.

Hopefully one day, if you want to go uni, uni will be “the best years of your life”
Then you can make more memories like going to concerts, pass your driving, meet new amazing people etc etc
Original post by Anonymous

Oh and as for reunions
I highly doubt that will ever happen
People move on with life, change for better or for worse, the last thing people bother with once they start uni, is to keep up with school friends.
I have never related to someone as much as you, I know exactly how you feel even if most people will try to tell you to move on- I posted something a couple of weeks ago about another one of my posts last year during my final year of sixth form:

A year ago i posted this
"Im constantly missing the past even though my current sixth form is the same place i went to high school. i dont hate sixth form by any means but i know that once i go to uni ill miss the school even more. high school wasnt great but i liked the lack of stress and ability to have fun.My Depression doesnt mix well with nostalgia and no one understand. Im constantly living in the past."
I knew moving on from sixth form to uni would be hard. Even though i was living in the past back then and was still suffering from depression, its a whole lot worse now. At least before there were 2 teachers that i opened up to, and those were the two people i trusted. Now theres no one at uni, i miss actually being close with teachers and having people that cared about you, now its just useless lecturers, and councilling won't help because they dont know me like my teachers did. I've been on meds but they havent helped that much. Now that im considering an adult, i couldnt even do something like runaway from unin accomodation because no one would care. I dream about school all the time and frequently cry about wanting to be back. My sixth form was the same place as my school and whilst school life wasnt amazing, i miss the routine, the ability to make everyone laugh in lessons, the interaction, teachers that were actually concerned about you.

I’d really like to talk to you, add me on Snapchat if you have it: AllanSmith22
Reply 4
Original post by mygradesarecrap
Damn... im in uni and LET ME TELL YOU what id do to go back and redo all of secondary and sixthform.
I still feel bummy since i hate uni and hate being an adult
But at the end of the day life is temporary and theres no point me dwelling on the past.
Try not waste your days getting depressed because you want to live in the moment and make everyday productive and even a memory.
When you are 50 you say youre going to want to be 15 again. And when you are 70 you are going to want to be 17 again.
But if you waste your days being a 17 and depressed then thats not a good stage in your life you are going to want to remember and look back on.

So as someone who wishes i could be that care free age of 17 where you have no idea where the hell your life is heading, all you care about is your friends, your pet andgood music, one of my biggest regrets is not taking advantage of being a kid

I mean do something wild you cant get arrested since your not 18 ahaaa, make memories, just be HAPPY
Try not to care too much. Dont think too hard. Smash your exams and just enjoy school while it lasts.

Hopefully one day, if you want to go uni, uni will be “the best years of your life”
Then you can make more memories like going to concerts, pass your driving, meet new amazing people etc etc

This makes me feel better man. I guess it's not just me. It's a while generation going and to be going through the same thing.
Everyone will die in < 100 years, and a couple of a hundred years later, nobody will barely know you ever existed or did anything on this planet. Time will fly by. Before you know it, you'll be weak and frail, sitting in a retirement home, wondering what you did with you life, just before you die. These few days have been a long time coming, but they'll be an even longer time gone.

Make the most of it my friend. The times they are a changin'.
Still really miss school and sixth form... The teachers, i felt like i had more freedom which is ironic, the support, the lessons. It was just funnier and more eventful than university, you felt like you were part of a community, at uni and after you feel isolated
Reply 7
Original post by AllanSmith22
Still really miss school and sixth form... The teachers, i felt like i had more freedom which is ironic, the support, the lessons. It was just funnier and more eventful than university, you felt like you were part of a community, at uni and after you feel isolated

Haha Still on this forum. I swear you're the one who I added on snap chat?

Quick Reply

Latest