The Student Room Group

Is she using me?

*OP removed*
She probably asks you to come with her for those things because you do say yes to her, so she knows you will do it for her whenever she asks. And then she probably thinks it's okay for her to be a bit flaky because you aren't flaky with her.

I personally would start saying no to her. It's totally understandable she has issues with doing things alone, but tbh she can't go through life always having someone with her. Also, it must be a great inconvenience to you too do drop what you're doing to be with her, and then get tossed aside so someone else can fill her time.

It's a tricky one but I think she may just be a little selfish and thoughtless as opposed to using you. I would stat off by saying no next time, and just saying something like you're busy or have plans and you can't be with her. It makes you feel crappy to be tossed aside when the "job is done" as it were. Time to make yourself feel good. People sometimes (unintentionally) use their MHIs as an excuse to walk over people and get them to do what they want, and sometimes you have to stand up to it and refuse to be a pushover for fear of hurting them. I hope what I'm saying isn't offensive and it makes sense, because you have to think of yourself too.
Reply 2
Original post by DrawTheLine
She probably asks you to come with her for those things because you do say yes to her, so she knows you will do it for her whenever she asks. And then she probably thinks it's okay for her to be a bit flaky because you aren't flaky with her.

I personally would start saying no to her. It's totally understandable she has issues with doing things alone, but tbh she can't go through life always having someone with her. Also, it must be a great inconvenience to you too do drop what you're doing to be with her, and then get tossed aside so someone else can fill her time.

It's a tricky one but I think she may just be a little selfish and thoughtless as opposed to using you. I would stat off by saying no next time, and just saying something like you're busy or have plans and you can't be with her. It makes you feel crappy to be tossed aside when the "job is done" as it were. Time to make yourself feel good. People sometimes (unintentionally) use their MHIs as an excuse to walk over people and get them to do what they want, and sometimes you have to stand up to it and refuse to be a pushover for fear of hurting them. I hope what I'm saying isn't offensive and it makes sense, because you have to think of yourself too.

Thank you. Yeah, apart from this she is a good friend. Recently I have been saying no to her more frequently than I used to, so I’ll keep doing that. And yep I definitely need to put myself first at times, but sometimes I feel mean, like if she genuinely needs me and I say no. Then again I don’t like to give up my free time all the time.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you. Yeah, apart from this she is a good friend. Recently I have been saying no to her more frequently than I used to, so I’ll keep doing that. And yep I definitely need to put myself first at times, but sometimes I feel mean, like if she genuinely needs me and I say no. Then again I don’t like to give up my free time all the time.

I think you need to judge whether it's a genuine need or if she would just prefer you there. Does she not have other people she can ask to go with her to places?
Ayy man. If she's only asking you to do favours as opposed to actually spending quality time, she's using you.
People like that arent friends. Use your free time for you. If she genuinely needs you, that's her own fault for abusing the position shes in.
I had a friend exactly like this and it only ended in tears, so cut yourself off and find people who do appreciate your time.

Like yeah a lot of people have anxiety and depression. I do, and there are times I have to have someone come with me but I always make it worth their time.
Tbh her mum is right. There will be a time when you move away or become a lot busier and she will have to do things herself. Is she in therapy to help her?
Reply 6
Original post by LadyEcliptic
Ayy man. If she's only asking you to do favours as opposed to actually spending quality time, she's using you.
People like that arent friends. Use your free time for you. If she genuinely needs you, that's her own fault for abusing the position shes in.
I had a friend exactly like this and it only ended in tears, so cut yourself off and find people who do appreciate your time.

Like yeah a lot of people have anxiety and depression. I do, and there are times I have to have someone come with me but I always make it worth their time.

She does still meet up with me apart from when she needs a favour, and it’s often with other people too. She can be on the flaky and late side of things. She does listen to my problems though when I need someone.

She is moving house very soon so the issue will be resolving itself.
Her mum often refuses to and tells her she needs to learn to do things alone, and all her other friends either live far away or have college. Today she asked me if I can come to the doctor’s with her next week; I said it depends what day.

Idk man, she clearly trusts you. I'd not suggest just turning your back on her if she actually does need your help and you want to be her friend. The thing is though, you do need to learn to say no and for that to be okay, otherwise I feel like this relationship could get quite tiring.
Reply 8
Original post by DrawTheLine
Tbh her mum is right. There will be a time when you move away or become a lot busier and she will have to do things herself. Is she in therapy to help her?

She is moving house 200 miles away very soon so there you go. Yes she is.
Reply 9

I think it's good you're doing this because she'll start to value any time with you a lot more.

Just food for thought but... have you tried making plans with her? Maybe say you're looking at coats and need help choosing one. Invite her shopping (that's the least "date-like" thing I could think of). It might help you see how willing she is to put time aside for you.
She is moving house 200 miles away very soon so there you go. Yes she is.

Perfect chance for her to become more independent. And that's good, therapy should be helping a lot hopefully.
Original post by Elastichedgehog
Idk man, she clearly trusts you. I'd not suggest just turning your back on her if she actually does need your help and you want to be her friend. The thing is though, you do need to learn to say no and for that to be okay, otherwise I feel like this relationship could get quite tiring.

It’s nice to know she trusts me. But i sometimes wonder if it’s only because there is no one else available. Yeah I’m trying to limit the amount of time I spend helping her. She knows I’ve not got a job atm which is why she’s always asking me.
Original post by skizzles
I think it's good you're doing this because she'll start to value any time with you a lot more.

Just food for thought but... have you tried making plans with her? Maybe say you're looking at coats and need help choosing one. Invite her shopping (that's the least "date-like" thing I could think of). It might help you see how willing she is to put time aside for you.

I have thought of doing that actually; I’m someone who prefers to shop alone but I could give it a try just to see.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending