The Student Room Group

Diet advice

I been trying to loose weight but I can't seem to stay on it I'll go on it for a week or so and then go back to eating bad. I really wanna loose weight but I keep craving junk food all the time when I'm on it. Any tips to help with cravings and loosing weight?
Try using MyFitnessPal to log what you eat as your calorie counting and trying to remain under the daily goal it sets you you can lose weight with little effort. It also makes you more conscious over what your eating especially if you want a snack because then you start to choose healthier/less calories items.
Reply 2
diets dont work its a simple fact you cant change the way you like to eat, your mind craves stuff that it likes and thats why diets fail.
the best way to lose weight is to stick to the foods you enjoy and make you happy but eat smaller portions, that way your reducing the calorie intake but fooling your brain into thinking its just had what it wanted.
im also a firm believer in avoiding diet drinks just drink the regular full sugar ones just less of them, the additives in diet drinks fool your system and can cause your body to store more fat.
i have been the same weight since i was eighteen and roughly the same size at 6'5 and 100kg, now im heading into my 50's and still eat junkfood but now i just have less.
What kind of diet are you doing? You're probably making too big of a change at once so gradually improve your diet instead.

For example I used to eat typical high sugar cereals for breakfast. When I decided I wanted to be more healthy I switched to plain oats, took one bite then spat it out because they tasted like crap even if I added loads of sugar so I went back to the high sugar stuff.
Later I tried again but this time I switch to these golden syrup oats and added extra sugar to them. They were still unhealthy but a bit better than what I was eating. Over time I added less sugar, then replaced the sugar with cinnamon, then tried the plain oats again with a bit of cinnamon and sugar and they tasted fine. Now I have the plain oats with just cinnamon and I like them. I stayed with a friend recently and he just had high sugar cereals so I ate some of that and it was horrible - far too sweet for me now.

Just take it slow instead of trying to go cold turkey.
Firstly I'd say don't try and do it all in one go. Make a few changes, then once they've become a habit make a few more. Stuff like less sugar in/on tea, cereals or whatever else, trade other drinks for water.

Secondly, how big are your main meals? It sounds counter intuitive to eat more when trying to eat less but if your meals aren't filling you up then you're more likely to get hungry and give in to cravings. Everyone is different, for some people the grazing way works well to lose weight but I find that when I let myself snack, I reach for the biscuits, crisps and cake bars and end up eating way more sugar. Aim for things that are high fibre and low GI and don't be afraid of a little fat (obviously you don't want to fry every meal, but there are 'healthy' fats that help us feel full and satisfied.

If you like junk food then try alternatives and 'fake-aways' where you can recreate your favourite foods but you know how much sugar, salt etc is in them. It honestly is a tricky one, I haven't worked out how to stay off the sweet stuff myself yet! Chocolate is my weakness. Also, look for the lowest calorie, lowest sugar version of foods. I love biscuits and we often have rich teas and chocolate digestives in the cupboard. If I went for 2 chocolate digestives I would be having about 165 cal. and 10g of sugar, if I went for the 2 rich teas it'd be more like 70 cal. and 3 g sugar. I still get my biscuit fix, but with a lot less sugar.

Try aiming for 75% healthy, 25% junk for now. 25% junk food might sound like a lot but if you think 'oh I'm eating a lot of junk food, I can eat better than this' then those foods won't feel off limits and you might find ou crave them less

Quick Reply

Latest