The Student Room Group

Ear piercing help :(

Hi so I just had my 3rd lobe piercings done. Well, I did them with a sewing needle by burning it and dipping in rubbing alcohol. Don’t hate me just yet, I’ve had 12/13 done professionally and just couldn’t be bothered to go get them done.

I am in AGONY with them. They’re super swollen and bloody. They’re also really hot. I’m a little apprehensive to remove the studs as I don’t want to trap any potential infection in the piercing.

So I guess what I’m asking is
A) has anyone had a similar experience and how long did the pain last/ how did you stop it?
B) does anyone have any tips for me/ what’s the best course of action to take?

You’re allowed to hate me now :smile: TIA xx
i pierced my doubles, and my helix on my own. not even with a needle....just the earring! ha. you can hate me too. sounds like you have an infection.
how long ago did you do it?
how often to you sanitize them?
and DO NOT use rubbing alcohol for daily sanitations. it dries out the skin and kills the white blood cells (which promote healing and are the body’s natural defense from bacteria) which will cause the ear to become more inflamed and put you at risk for the infection to get worse.
i recommend witch hazel! it is a natural astringent and has worked wonders.
i had the same issues with mine and this is the best advice i can give you:
- soak a towel in hot water and apply it to the ear, it will get blood flowing and draw the white blood cells to the area (PS it feels very good when the heat is applied)
- sanitize the piercing 2-3 times daily. no more than 3. oversanitizing can be just as harmful as not sanitizing enough!
- use witch hazel or ‘Wound Wash’
- every night or so, create a saline solution (warm water with salt) and put it into a shallow bowl. submerge your ear in it for 10 minutes to clean and sooth the area.
- dont irritate the piercing by— moving it around a bunch, touching it with dirty hands, getting hair or clothes caught on it, or sleeping on it wrong.
- for the sleeping issue- roll up a small blanket or towel into a donut shape (the inner ‘hole’ should be large enough to fit your entire ear in it) and put that on your pillow. (if you dont understand what im trying to illustrate with this, go to etsy and look up ‘The Hurts Donut’.)
keep it clean and healthy!
good luck! :smile:)
Thank you!! Okay so I pierced them about 4 days ago. I don’t use rubbing alcohol to sterilise daily, just the equipment to pierce. I clean with saline 2 times a day. I’ll grab some witch hazel as it sounds good. I’ve also tried the hot water saline. Omg that relief was gorgeous. The blanket donut is giving me LIFE 😂 you sound a little more edgy then me. They must have been such painful piercings 😭 also, just a tip but my pierced tile me never to put wound wash near my piercings. I dunno why but apparently it’s one of the worst things for them.

Thank you for all of your help and taking the time to respond. This was soooooo helpful! Xx
Original post by Anonymous
i pierced my doubles, and my helix on my own. not even with a needle....just the earring! ha. you can hate me too. sounds like you have an infection.
how long ago did you do it?
how often to you sanitize them?
and DO NOT use rubbing alcohol for daily sanitations. it dries out the skin and kills the white blood cells (which promote healing and are the body’s natural defense from bacteria) which will cause the ear to become more inflamed and put you at risk for the infection to get worse.
i recommend witch hazel! it is a natural astringent and has worked wonders.
i had the same issues with mine and this is the best advice i can give you:
- soak a towel in hot water and apply it to the ear, it will get blood flowing and draw the white blood cells to the area (PS it feels very good when the heat is applied)
- sanitize the piercing 2-3 times daily. no more than 3. oversanitizing can be just as harmful as not sanitizing enough!
- use witch hazel or ‘Wound Wash’
- every night or so, create a saline solution (warm water with salt) and put it into a shallow bowl. submerge your ear in it for 10 minutes to clean and sooth the area.
- dont irritate the piercing by— moving it around a bunch, touching it with dirty hands, getting hair or clothes caught on it, or sleeping on it wrong.
- for the sleeping issue- roll up a small blanket or towel into a donut shape (the inner ‘hole’ should be large enough to fit your entire ear in it) and put that on your pillow. (if you dont understand what im trying to illustrate with this, go to etsy and look up ‘The Hurts Donut’.)
keep it clean and healthy!
good luck! :smile:)

[QUOTE="xrhiannon___xo;77524826"]Thank you!! Okay so I pierced them about 4 days ago. I don’t use rubbing alcohol to sterilise daily, just the equipment to pierce. I clean with saline 2 times a day. I’ll grab some witch hazel as it sounds good. I’ve also tried the hot water saline. Omg that relief was gorgeous. The blanket donut is giving me LIFE 😂 you sound a little more edgy then me. They must have been such painful piercings 😭 also, just a tip but my pierced tile me never to put wound wash near my piercings. I dunno why but apparently it’s one of the worst things for them.

Thank you for all of your help and taking the time to respond. This was soooooo helpful! Xx
of course! happy to help :smile:ive never tried wound wash but my friends all had success with it! who knows! 🤗
Original post by anonymous101211
of course! happy to help :smile:ive never tried wound wash but my friends all had success with it! who knows! 🤗

Maybe I’ll give it a go then. To be honest it’s probably better than hand sanitiser and that’s what I used to clear up my infection last time 😂 thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest